The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anders Nilsson Wins Prestigious Award

Down by the River

Anders Nilsson was named "hetero" of the year for his support of the LGBTQ community.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-anders-nilsson-wins-lgbtq-award

When Anders Nilsson debuted a new goalie mask earlier this season, it showed he was a progressive person in a traditionally macho world of pro sports.

The 27-year-old Canucks goaltender chose to display the pride flag on the back of his mask “to support my gay friends,” as he explained at the time.

While just a small show of support, it’s something that would have been unheard of 10+ years ago. It shows how the sports world is starting to become more inclusive, and Nilsson is one of the athletes helping the cause.

For his efforts, he was recognized by the LGBTQ community back in his native Sweden.

Nilsson was named ‘Hetero of the Year’ at the QX Gay Gala for promoting diversity with the artwork on his mask.

“It’s great to see that the rainbow flag on my goalie helmets has been getting so much attention,” Nilsson continued. “For me it is really important to be a good role model and show that hockey is for everyone. Especially when it comes to kids and teenagers.

“Everyone should feel welcomed to play hockey, no matter your sexual orientation, religion, or race.”

30 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

He's worn the pride flag on his mask for a few seasons now. I was surprised he wasn't named the team's HIFE ambassador. Congrats to Anders! Allyship is important. 

For a lot of teams, it has become a PR move. Marchand, Seguin, and Shaw were named their team's HIFE ambassador and I know that at least Seguin and Shaw have come under fire for homophobic comments.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I'm glad he's willing to express his beliefs and convictions. It's wonderful that we live in a country that allows this sort of freedom.

Indeed. Freedom is nice.  It's amazing to think how life was years ago when kings and big terds would rule out of fear.  I am amazed how the world has progressed.  Hard to believe we use to be such monkeys.

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

While it's cool to see Nilsson supporting his gay friends, is putting a 3x2 inch flag on the back of your mask really award worthy? 

This was somewhat my thought too. Maybe he's done other stuff too? I guess his comment on why he had the flag was something, but you're right, it seems like a pretty small amount of work for an award.

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm glad he's willing to express his beliefs and convictions. It's wonderful that we live in a country that allows this sort of freedom.

It’s not the country, it’s the culture which allows our freedoms, as demonstrated in the Western world. 

Good for Anders on this distinction. 

Don Cherry though... he actually has members of this community sit in his lap and embraces them. I’d say that’s more of a breaking down of the “macho” barrier than a mask or something. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s not the country, it’s the culture which allows our freedoms, as demonstrated in the Western world. 

Good for Anders on this distinction. 

Don Cherry though... he actually has members of this community sit in his lap and embraces them. I’d say that’s more of a breaking down of the “macho” barrier than a mask or something. 

Hockey without violence is like a silver ballet.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Apparently not.

bild-4-8-12-kl-5-33-pm_197564826.jpg

Just now, Cramarossa said:

That doesn't look like his wife. 

Yup. It really doesn't at all... perhaps when she was younger? I doubt it though... 

Anders is super good looking. If I had to date one Canuck and I was a girl... I'd %100 try to slide in Anders DM. 

3 hours ago, reyezone said:

I had just assumed he was gay

Anders is %100 into girls and his wife specifically lol

Not that there's anything wrong with not being into girls. 

Archived