The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Saw it on another board.  Forget who the source was now.  Yesterday was a long time ago.

Ok so I looked it up. Believed to be a quote from Dhalliwal on Sportsnet 650 the Point. Yesterday. Haven't heard the clip myself but huge discussion on it.

Thx for getting back Rush. Seems like a long shot. But Dhaliwal is one of very few who's word has value. 

43 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thx for getting back Rush. Seems like a long shot. But Dhaliwal is one of very few who's word has value. 

Yeah no problem.  I have no way of verifying the source unless I find the audio clip myself.  I find it hard to locate specific clips off sportsnet 650's website though.  if I locate it i'll share it.  I'll take a peak later tonight.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah no problem.  I have no way of verifying the source unless I find the audio clip myself.  I find it hard to locate specific clips off sportsnet 650's website though.  if I locate it i'll share it.  I'll take a peak later tonight.

good enough, just wanted to know where you heard it. 

Ok so maybe someone can enlighten me, i am asking for an honest opinion here, what's the rational behind trading a really solid performer, goal scorer and prob one of the only constants on our team for a later round draft pick that *might* result in a 3rd or 4th line player in a couple of years.

I do get the point of unloading *old* players or veterans who want to go on a last cup run etc, but vanek isn't that old, and he is performing well (great actually and much better than we expected), so why don't we keep him as a foundation stone for the rebuild?

7 minutes ago, krizzel said:

Ok so maybe someone can enlighten me, i am asking for an honest opinion here, what's the rational behind trading a really solid performer, goal scorer and prob one of the only constants on our team for a later round draft pick that *might* result in a 3rd or 4th line player in a couple of years.

I do get the point of unloading *old* players or veterans who want to go on a last cup run etc, but vanek isn't that old, and he is performing well (great actually and much better than we expected), so why don't we keep him as a foundation stone for the rebuild?

When the rebuild is complete in 3-5 more years, will Vanek be part of it?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When the rebuild is complete in 3-5 more years.."

reminds me of something i heard 3 years ago :)

ADD - and no he wont, i just checked and realized he is in his mid 30s, i somehow had the impression he's in the early 30s, so i take back my statement..

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When the rebuild is complete in 3-5 more years, will Vanek be part of it?

But really

who replaces him?

he needs to provide an offensive role so our future offensive players aren’t rushed and relied too heavily on

lind looks promising but it would be a shame to rush him

dahlin could fill the role but why not make sure before making that hole

as far as I’m concerned vanek should stay and play on a line with pettersson and Eriksdon to shelter the young lad

eriksson-pettersson-vanek

Vanek could certainly help get pettersson going offensively from the get go

10 minutes ago, Wanless said:

But really

who replaces him?

he needs to provide an offensive role so our future offensive players aren’t rushed and relied too heavily on

lind looks promising but it would be a shame to rush him

dahlin could fill the role but why not make sure before making that hole

as far as I’m concerned vanek should stay and play on a line with pettersson and Eriksdon to shelter the young lad

eriksson-pettersson-vanek

Vanek could certainly help get pettersson going offensively from the get go

Trade Vanek now, and resign him July 1st.  Hi 

1 hour ago, krizzel said:

Because his agent says that he is looking for term and market value.  He also suggests that he is more likely to be interested to return if the Sedins return.  

An additional pick also allows to move up in the draft - for example Nashville used a 3rd to go from 46th to 38th to leapfrog a team who also wanted Josi.

exactly

It isn't for sure that he will resign with us, his agent has said exactly that, they will wait and look at the offers, so highest bidder. We may as well trade him then resign him if the number works, if someone else offers more then we've gained nothing.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, mll said:

Benning doesn't know his trade value yet - says teams will start calling closer to the deadline.  Also Vanek will not make a decision before the off-season. Sounds like he is looking for term and market value.  He is also more likely to sign an extension if the Sedins return.

Here it is, they would wait.

14 hours ago, krizzel said:

Vanek is old, signed a 1 yr deal with us. He has stated he would like a chance at a cup, so he is happy to move on to a playoff team. If he stayed here he would want a multi year deal with a raise, that doesnt make sense for a rebuilding team with multiple waiver eligible propsects next year. Let alone the arrival of annointed stud Gaudette & EP.

Vanek is going to be 34, that is kind of old for the NHL. Keep Vanek as a foundation stone for the rebuild? Wow that is a shock to hear those words, this guys was a FA until the end of August, doesnt scream like that type of player at all. Everyone says oh he is good for Boeser, well they knew each other  before this year, surely they will continue to train in the off season back in their homes in Minnesota.

You move Vanek for a pick because well we need more of them, as a rebuilding team we lack picks quite frankly and he & maybe Hutton are the only guys that will likely be gone this TDL

10 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Vanek is old, signed a 1 yr deal with us. He has stated he would like a chance at a cup, so he is happy to move on to a playoff team. If he stayed here he would want a multi year deal with a raise, that doesnt make sense for a rebuilding team with multiple waiver eligible propsects next year. Let alone the arrival of annointed stud Gaudette & EP.

Vanek is going to be 34, that is kind of old for the NHL. Keep Vanek as a foundation stone for the rebuild? Wow that is a shock to hear those words, this guys was a FA until the end of August, doesnt scream like that type of player at all. Everyone says oh he is good for Boeser, well they knew each other  before this year, surely they will continue to train in the off season back in their homes in Minnesota.

You move Vanek for a pick because well we need more of them, as a rebuilding team we lack picks quite frankly and he & maybe Hutton are the only guys that will likely be gone this TDL

Get what you can for him for sure. If we do re-sign him. One year deal only please.

36 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Yet we want to resign 2 players that are probably worse off then Vanek. :picard:

Archived