The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden letter to STHs

BCNeil

It reminds me of this doozy sent out 4 years ago by Mike Gillis. Everyone remember this? https://www.straight.com/blogra/604051/mike-gillis-sends-note-vancouver-canucks-fans-all-well - See bolded parts below. Just goes to show how ridiculous these kinds of promises/letters are and no one really knows the future.

With the trade deadline a week behind us, I wanted to communicate directly with our Season Ticket Members. You are a very important part of the Canucks family, and I’d like to give you more insight into last week’s developments and our plan for the team going forward.

In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision.

Our mission remains the same: to win the Stanley Cup. Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully.

Trading Roberto was not an easy decision. We are grateful for his tremendous contribution to our team and city, and we wish him much success. But the moves we've made go beyond goaltending. We are now younger and we are getting deeper. We've added a big, strong 6'4" centre in Shawn Matthias, who is excited to be here and will help this team now. And we believe in our talented group of prospects, including Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success. We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

We approached the deadline with long-term success in mind. We were prepared to make a hockey deal on trade deadline day, not a short-term fix. The players offered at the deadline did not fit our vision of where we want our team to go. We need to get younger and more balanced to be more competitive, and we didn’t see the right players to accomplish that goal. We are not willing to compromise our long-term vision for the sake of change.

We are committed to putting a winning team on the ice for you. Our ownership is supportive and will invest whatever it takes to bring the Cup to Vancouver. As we move towards this goal we will continue to invest in your arena and Canucks fan experience.

Thank you again for your continued support. We are enduring a challenging period, but your passion makes it possible for us to put our team in a position to compete. Our organization is committed to doing whatever it takes to win, and we want you to be here with us when we achieve our goal."

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate he is trying to be positive to the season ticket holders

and be somewhat frank

but what about the d situation.. a lot of nice prospect names listed.. but little to address that glaring problem

any explanation why more d were not selected in earlier drafts so they would now be ready

or be ready very soon?
i guess not

I don't think that was what the letter was about Coastal

To me it said that we will continue on the direction that Jim has laid out.......

He said that ownership and management are on the same page, and they support Jims direction

They told the hockey world and more importantly, our signed and unsigned prospects that we know where we are going

And quite possibly, we told future UFA's we have a plan, and that we are loyal to those that are loyal to us (aka the Sedin's)

I do find it a little contrite, and a little late in the day (as it did stir up a few people) (including Benning)

But I think the message was clear and concise

It is now up to the fan's to get behind it, and have patience.......

As for the first 2 years.........I am not sure what experience you have had with management change, but my experience has been that when there is a management change, usually the new hire is given direction and a short leash the first year or so, and is carrying out the boards direction, until they have faith in them and get to trust those decisions, and have bought into his plan.

No board will allow a new hire to steer the ship without their direction....I think Jim has shown management/ownership his abilities and flexibility, and that is why he has been given a new contract.

As for the defenseman problem.............I think Jim knows about it and did not want to jump the gun and felt until he had more cap flexibility to make adjustments, or maybe there simply was not the options out there

At least not options Jim was willing to pay for..................patience my friend.........patience!

48 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't think that was what the letter was about Coastal

To me it said that we will continue on the direction that Jim has laid out.......

He said that ownership and management are on the same page, and they support Jims direction

They told the hockey world and more importantly, our signed and unsigned prospects that we know where we are going

And quite possibly, we told future UFA's we have a plan, and that we are loyal to those that are loyal to us (aka the Sedin's)

I do find it a little contrite, and a little late in the day (as it did stir up a few people) (including Benning)

But I think the message was clear and concise

It is now up to the fan's to get behind it, and have patience.......

As for the first 2 years.........I am not sure what experience you have had with management change, but my experience has been that when there is a management change, usually the new hire is given direction and a short leash the first year or so, and is carrying out the boards direction, until they have faith in them and get to trust those decisions, and have bought into his plan.

No board will allow a new hire to steer the ship without their direction....I think Jim has shown management/ownership his abilities and flexibility, and that is why he has been given a new contract.

As for the defenseman problem.............I think Jim knows about it and did not want to jump the gun and felt until he had more cap flexibility to make adjustments, or maybe there simply was not the options out there

At least not options Jim was willing to pay for..................patience my friend.........patience!

a feel good letter

trying to appease season ticket holders

that is quite thin on content

would not give me much assurance

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

a feel good letter

Yes, I think it said that too.....but I think it said more.....at least along with Benning re up..........maybe in conjunction with that and the letter, it said more

I personally didn't need the letter........I think getting Benning signed said what the ownership thought

The letter was fluff........and your probably right, by itself, it didn't mean much

21 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

It reminds me of this doozy sent out 4 years ago by Mike Gillis. Everyone remember this? https://www.straight.com/blogra/604051/mike-gillis-sends-note-vancouver-canucks-fans-all-well - See bolded parts below. Just goes to show how ridiculous these kinds of promises/letters are and no one really knows the future.

Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success.

I'm not reminded of that in the least.

No one really knows the future = true.

However Pettersson, Demko, Gaudette, Juolevi, Lind, Dahlen - I'm really looking forward to time telling the difference.

22 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

who cares? all that proves is Mike couldn't draft worth a crap. We're just lucky that Mike didn't draft Curtis Lazar instead of Bo. 

On 14/02/2018 at 7:57 PM, coastal.view said:

a feel good letter

Whine whine whine.  I know it's been and difficult week for you and the Gaurdian and chilliwiggins given Bennings been extended, but your grasping at straws asking for why he didn't address our lack of d and  didn't blow your mind with whatever it is you need to get from this letter...why not just enjoy the process and be thankful for what we do have?

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Whine whine whine.  I know it's been and difficult week for you and the Gaurdian and chilliwiggins given Bennings been extended, but your grasping at straws asking for why he didn't address our lack of d and  didn't blow your mind with whatever it is you need to get from this letter...why not just enjoy the process and be thankful for what we do have?

oh really

you think i am anti benning ?

you are a fool

but i guess you feel better lumping people together

makes your life simpler and easier

i think you read little of what i write or you fail to comprehend it

you also do not know how i generally respond to the 2 posters you have mentioned

but carry on

i'm sure this works for you

On 14/02/2018 at 10:07 AM, BCNeil said:

As we approach the final stretch of the season and an important window for building for the future, I wanted to share some thoughts about our team and the road ahead.

First, we all share the same goal: to build a young, fast, exciting Canucks team that competes every night and ultimately has a chance to bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

Big picture, our future is perhaps brighter than ever thanks to the depth of talent that Jim and our scouts have assembled. Just like many of you, I’m excited about the group of prospects in our pipeline, including Elias Pettersson, Olli Juolevi, Thatcher Demko, Adam Gaudette, Kole Lind, Jonathan Dahlen, and others who are among many young players taking big steps.

In the shorter term we have faced some challenges with injuries and inconsistency. That being said, I think fans can see hope for the future, especially through young stars like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser. Witnessing Brock’s rookie season has been a special piece of Canucks history. I’m also grateful for the Sedins’ leadership and continued strong play. In addition, Travis has brought an aggressive, entertaining style of play that will help us win long-term.

Moving forward, the next several months will be important as we add even more prospects to our pool and build on the positive steps we have seen this year. We still need to be patient, but I am excited about our journey ahead together. It’s going to be worth it, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back again for the 2018.19 season.

Yours truly,

1a82bcd8-ff4d-4af1-973c-ade979a9d2cc.jpg

Trevor Linden
President, Hockey Operations
Alternate Governor, NHL

I am a huge Linden fan. No other Canuck in our 48 year history could fulfill his role with anywhere near the credibility, commitment, passion and stones. The guy has bled blue and green. He loves the team and the city. He is getting better every year.

And he has magic attached to him.

Linden will lead the team to a cup. 

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I am a huge Linden fan. No other Canuck in our 48 year history could fulfill his role with anywhere near the credibility, commitment, passion and stones. The guy has bled blue and green. He loves the team and the city. He is getting better every year.

And he has magic attached to him.

Linden will lead the team to a cup. 

+10 for optimism alone.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:07 PM, BCNeil said:

As we approach the final stretch of the season and an important window for building for the future, I wanted to share some thoughts about our team and the road ahead.

First, we all share the same goal: to build a young, fast, exciting Canucks team that competes every night and ultimately has a chance to bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver.

Big picture, our future is perhaps brighter than ever thanks to the depth of talent that Jim and our scouts have assembled. Just like many of you, I’m excited about the group of prospects in our pipeline, including Elias Pettersson, Olli Juolevi, Thatcher Demko, Adam Gaudette, Kole Lind, Jonathan Dahlen, and others who are among many young players taking big steps.

In the shorter term we have faced some challenges with injuries and inconsistency. That being said, I think fans can see hope for the future, especially through young stars like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser. Witnessing Brock’s rookie season has been a special piece of Canucks history. I’m also grateful for the Sedins’ leadership and continued strong play. In addition, Travis has brought an aggressive, entertaining style of play that will help us win long-term.

Moving forward, the next several months will be important as we add even more prospects to our pool and build on the positive steps we have seen this year. We still need to be patient, but I am excited about our journey ahead together. It’s going to be worth it, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back again for the 2018.19 season.

Yours truly,

1a82bcd8-ff4d-4af1-973c-ade979a9d2cc.jpg

Trevor Linden
President, Hockey Operations
Alternate Governor, NHL

Confirms what I thought. Linden majored in blowing smoke up this fan base's collective ass. Come off it Trevor ffs, are you on a %?

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yeah except this is a pro sports Club not a retirement home for the terminally "easy pleased"

Linden is a waste of a salary and letters/emails like this just goes to confirm it.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:36 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

You missed out "No 3 of the List of Canuck Management Platitudes." 

" We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed."

Could we not bring a class action suit against Gillis and Linden for "Continued Attempt to Mislead Season Ticket Holders"

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Yeah except this is a pro sports Club not a retirement home for the terminally "easy pleased"

Linden is a waste of a salary and letters/emails like this just goes to confirm it.

Start the lawsuit and use this as part of the evidence.  

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

oh really

you think i am anti benning ?

you are a fool

but i guess you feel better lumping people together

makes your life simpler and easier

i think you read little of what i write or you fail to comprehend it

you also do not know how i generally respond to the 2 posters you have mentioned

but carry on

i'm sure this works for 

Well I guess I made an ass of u and me.  So sorry about that.  I saw the earlier post regarding not addressing the lack of d and took issue with that, and well I guess I still like Linden and don't understand why his letter is a reason to get upset over.   

Normally I try and stay out of the inflammatory stuff unless it gets to me, maybe I should just stay out of it altogether.  Carry on, especially crushing those other two anti Benning guys.

I like Green, but the on ice product lately and arguably overall has been anything but entertaining. I really miss Miller. Lol. At least he gave us a chance. Even though the team couldn't buy a goal he didn't let squeakers in every game. People think Cloutier was bad, gosh dang this man Markstrom is all kinds of stinky. Team is dead in the water before they even have a chance to realize the pre-game skate is over. 

19 hours ago, alfstonker said:

His answers to the question of, how long, were for children, does he think fans that ask how long are asking will it be tomorrow?

Why give answers like it will take time or there is no quick fix or it can't be fixed at the TDL or in summer or one year?

Well thank you Captain Obvious for talking to the fans like they are ignorant children with expectations of keeping their ice cream and eating it to.

This is Vancouver and I haven't found any fans on your official website that are demanding a winner in one year or even expecting one.

Come to think of it they have been telling the fans that this is a winning environment for years now so they must think most fans IQ equal his old sweater number.

Anymore less thought out and useless answers like that and I think I will burn one of his sweaters in front of the arena.

Archived