The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

Tanev is out 3-4 weeks due to that leg issue.  Looks like he will be staying a Canuck until the draft at least.

No way we can move him well injuried right? Can a team agree if he's out for 2 weeks past the deadline?

Thought it was if ur injured you can't be moved

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Tanev is out 3-4 weeks due to that leg issue.  Looks like he will be staying a Canuck until the draft at least.

No way we can move him well injuried right? Can a team agree if he's out for 2 weeks past the deadline?

I have no info for ya to back me up. But i’ve seen injured players traded before. But only if the player is returning soonish as to help the new team make a playoff push. I’m sure the team does not want to worry about getting a player into game shape at the start of playoffs lol. It’s rare but I do remember it happening in the past. I know Nathan Horton was traded while under full LTIR, purely a cap based trade.

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I have no info for ya to back me up. But i’ve seen injured players traded before. But only if the player is returning soonish as to help the new team make a playoff push. I’m sure the team does not want to worry about getting a player into game shape at the start of playoffs lol. It’s rare but I do remember it happening in the past. I know Nathan Horton was traded while under full LTIR, purely a cap based trade.

Oh ok. so it can happen. :D good. very good. :D the rumours can continue! lol :D  I did not recall any injured player trades.  probably because they are so frequent. can imagine teams still being interested if they feel this is their year.  He could still move at the draft or next TDL.  We have some options with him.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Hopefully this shuts down all the Tanev "rumour" threads.

It's so typically Canuck though isn't it. Their most valuable trade asset may not be traded due to injury.

Although, if he goes to the Leafs, he'd still be back for the playoffs so who knows.

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not necessarily. Any team trading for him is likely already in a pretty secure playoff position and he's not an expiring rental. Still has two years more after this.

You don't, not make a trade that could SERIOUSLY help your team contend in the playoffs for the next 3 years because of a couple weeks.

If Tanev is traded, then the Canucks still need to replace him Hopefully one of the Utica dman can step up and perform or in the off season throw money at a quality dman, after the Sedins retire.

Same thing when Erhoff, Salo and Mitchell left....the quality was never replaced sufficiently.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If Tanev is traded, then the Canucks still need to replace him Hopefully one of the Utica dman can step up and perform or in the off season throw money at a quality dman, after the Sedins retire.

Same thing when Erhoff, Salo and Mitchell left....the quality was never replaced sufficiently.

Realisticly the canucks don't have anyone who can replace what taken brings to the table. He is such a calm and sound defensive presence one our backend. I'm hoping we see Try come back in the near future.

Trading Tanev to me is about getting a 1st Rounder in 2018. With Tanev injured moving him becomes almost impossible. The Acquiring team would have to be satisfied that he could play yet this year and have value. Naturally they would want a discount which likely removes a 1st Rounder. Can Benning get his 1st Rounder for Tanev before the draft? Maybe. It would give him time to play out the rest of the season and re-establish his worth. 

I simply do not see Hutton being moved unless it is a package with Hutton not being a big part. More likely MDZ goes for hopefully a 3rd Rounder.   

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I think the hope is Holm stays up.  Utica did sign another Depth D man just the other day.  

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Trading Tanev to me is about getting a 1st Rounder in 2018. With Tanev injured moving him becomes almost impossible. The Acquiring team would have to be satisfied that he could play yet this year and have value. Naturally they would want a discount which likely removes a 1st Rounder. Can Benning get his 1st Rounder for Tanev before the draft? Maybe. It would give him time to play out the rest of the season and re-establish his worth. 

I simply do not see Hutton being moved unless it is a package with Hutton not being a big part. More likely MDZ goes for hopefully a 3rd Rounder.   

Kind of along that line of thinking as well. I don't see Tanev traded untill maybe the draft. Is he UFA after next year?

2 hours ago, rekker said:

He's hurt a lot. Hate to say it but as good as a player that he is. His trade value will be effected by his lack of durability. Should of shopped him harder at the last draft. If they didn't. 

Lol, did you just skim past where I literally chronicled every single injury Tanev's had in his entire career since joining the Canucks? His injury frequency is not a function of his durability, it's a function of the specific role he's played on a Canucks team that has increasingly become worse as a possession team. Combine that with incredible bad luck, and you get what you have.

Tanev on a legit cup contending team would see him flourish both defensively, offensively and injury related as he will consistently play fewer hard minutes, putting him in different game situations which will lead to him not being in the situations that have unfortunately led to the freak accidents he's sustained.

30 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Oh ok. so it can happen. :D good. very good. :D the rumours can continue! lol :D  I did not recall any injured player trades.  probably because they are so frequent. can imagine teams still being interested if they feel this is their year.  He could still move at the draft or next TDL.  We have some options with him.

I’m thinking he’s now a draft day deal for sure now that he’s out again for a month at least. Maybe a team wants him badly enough, but they are taking a lot of risk doing the trade, which ultimately lowers Tanevs trade value...In my own opinion. So best to trade him at the draft to maximize your return.

...But who knows, he’s got Stanley cup experience and teams do pay for that, so if an honest deal came out way at the TDL it wouldn’t be that surprising to me.

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’m thinking he’s now a draft day deal for sure now that he’s out again for a month at least. Maybe a team wants him badly enough, but they are taking a lot of risk doing the trade, which ultimately lowers Tanevs trade value...In my own opinion. So best to trade him at the draft to maximize your return.

...But who knows, he’s got Stanley cup experience and teams do pay for that, so if an honest deal came out way at the TDL it wouldn’t be that surprising to me.

I would think Jim would have to love the primary asset coming back to take a lesser value.  Draft day probably makes the most sense.  Even next TDL if they want to keep him around to ease Juolevi into the league.  But Hutton or Pouliot are going to have to go.  I suspect Pouliot switches to right and Hutton gets dealt making room for Holm for the rest of the season.  Then Holm if he does just ok is swapped in and out with Juolevi.

Edler Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

Holm Pouliot

or

Edler Gudbranson

Juolevi Tanev

Pouliot  Stecher

Holm/Biega 

7 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Lol, did you just skim past where I literally chronicled every single injury Tanev's had in his entire career since joining the Canucks? His injury frequency is not a function of his durability, it's a function of the specific role he's played on a Canucks team that has increasingly become worse as a possession team. Combine that with incredible bad luck, and you get what you have.

Tanev on a legit cup contending team would see him flourish both defensively, offensively and injury related as he will consistently play fewer hard minutes, putting him in different game situations which will lead to him not being in the situations that have unfortunately led to the freak accidents he's sustained.

I agree on one point. Tanev would have more success on a team with better possession numbers. The puck would be in his end a lot less. I don't agree on the bad luck. Some bodies break easier than others. He is more fragile than other players. Is what it is. I wish he wasn't but he is not as durable as I wish he could be. 

Just now, Rush17 said:

I would think Jim would have to love the primary asset coming back to take a lesser value.  Draft day probably makes the most sense.  Even next TDL if they want to keep him around to ease Juolevi into the league.  But Hutton or Pouliot are going to have to go.  I suspect Pouliot switches to right and Hutton gets dealt making room for Holm for the rest of the season.  Then Holm if he does just ok is swapped in and out with Juolevi.

Edler Gudbranson

Juolevi Stecher

Holm Pouliot

or

Edler Gudbranson

Juolevi Tanev

Pouliot  Stecher

Holm/Biega 

Not saying Juolevi will be getting top 4 minutes. just how he slots in next to Tanev lol.

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not necessarily. Any team trading for him is likely already in a pretty secure playoff position and he's not an expiring rental. Still has two years more after this.

You don't, not make a trade that could SERIOUSLY help your team contend in the playoffs for the next 3 years because of a couple weeks.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

He's hurt a lot. Hate to say it but as good as a player that he is. His trade value will be effected by his lack of durability. Should of shopped him harder at the last draft. If they didn't. 

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Putting him on a cup contender will not change tanev nor make him less suceptible to the injuries he’s gotten over his career? How is he going to flourish on a cup contender? Is he going to stop blocking shots defensively? Will he magically start shooting the puck more? Tanev is pretty much what you see what you get. A very reliable defenseman that seems to get unlucky all the time and injured a lot due to his shot blocking and style of play and very limited if any offensive capability 

10 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Tanev has 18 hits and 50 blocks and plays less than 20 minutes.  Tougher opposition means more finesse oriented players(1-2 line versus 3-4 line).  Your narrative is very incorrect.  He is injury prone because he is injury prone.  It has nothing to do with his style of play which is soft soft soft.  Statistically speaking and subjectively...

Archived