The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD - STOCKPILING DRAFT PICKS

canucker1971

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They are rebuilding through player attrition, retirements.

There are 155 forward UFA's this summer, is Vanek the only choice?

next year

Sedins - Eriksson

Vanek - Bo - Boeser

Gagner - Sutter - Virtanen

Archie - Sven - Granlund

Guance - Goldoblin - Dowd

so where do prospects play?

you must be effin kidding me.. They won't sell any tickets with that lineup haha

12 hours ago, timberz21 said:

You do know that the Canucks (NHL teams) have limited ressources right?   There is a maximum (50) number of contracts you can award.  What's the point of have 15 draft picks if we won't be able to sign them all and lose them to re-entry draft.

Also, coaches, scouts and training staff can't follow around an unlimited number of prospect.  They need to invest time and effort in a limited amount of players to be effective.

The same rules applies for draft picks as it applies to most trade proposal here....Qualitiy > Quantity. 

Not saying Benning shouldn't add one or 2 more picks in the upcoming drafts, but it is unrealistic to think Benning will trade half of the team for picks.  There is plenty of time left until the deadline...take a pill man.

That is exactly what I've been saying about the 50 contract limit and it's not possible to stockpile the picks because of that a few weeks ago in other thread.   Fans and media don't get it.  You actually lose a few draft picks from any trade if they are lost to re-entry in the draft.

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They are rebuilding through player attrition, retirements.

There are 155 forward UFA's this summer, is Vanek the only choice?

next year

Sedins - Eriksson

Vanek - Bo - Boeser

Gagner - Sutter - Virtanen

Archie - Sven - Granlund

Guance - Goldoblin - Dowd

so where do prospects play?

The Sedins won't be back, that's my gut feeling and there'll be trades or buyouts if the management feels that they wouldn't help this club next season.  Buyout doesn't cost that much with this list except for Eriksson.  Other than that, prospects will have to beat out the veterans to make the team in the training camp like Boeser did.   Goldobin is starting to find his strides after the call-up so I would expect prospects to start finding their stride later in the season, not that early when they are starting out the pro career.   Development and lots of patience is the key.   

17 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

the thing that you and others fail to see is that the canucks are a competitive team. When they aren't riddled with injuries and everyone is on their game they have a chance to win every night. That is what management means by remaining competitive. Competitive doesn't mean winning the stanley cup or even necessarily making the playoffs...simply being in the games. Thats the winning atmosphere that you hear Linden and Benning talking about. 

side note... I feel like their is a glaring double standard towards the sedins when it comes to vanek. Daniel and Henrik will literaly score as many points as Vanek this year. Vanek is 3 years younger and is not any faster than them, and is definitely as much as a defensive liability. Yet the consensus of his worth to the team is that he should be traded for assets at the TDL and resigned in the offseason... while the Sedins should simply retire. curious.

The team needs goals, not PP assists. Vanek is expendable and so are the Sedins. I don't see the double standard, especially when you consider the current salary differential. Also, Vanek does not need his brother on his line to be magical and therefore easier to move.

The point of a rebuild is to actually acquire/develop young NHL players to build a new core and complimentary players around it, not (just) acquire draft picks. That can and certainly does include draft picks but it's not mutually exclusive.

6 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

The team needs goals, not PP assists. Vanek is expendable and so are the Sedins. I don't see the double standard, especially when you consider the current salary differential. Also, Vanek does not need his brother on his line to be magical and therefore easier to move.

daniel is on pace for 20 goals. im just saying if there is a place for vanek in the nhl, then there is a place for the sedins. maybe henrik would have more goals if he wasnt on pace for 70 shots the entire season. separating the sedins for the sake of footspeed in OT.... im definetely all for! but they are a one two punch and they literally revolutionized the game from the way that they pass to each other. i dont see why you would split that up while they stiill are putting up 50 PT seasons or demand that they retire.

the title of this thread could have been "Completely Servicable TOP 4 NHL DMAN and sedin brother 50 PT 2nd liners demanded to retire by overexcited fanbase who doesnt have the patience to transition to a younger core in a rebuild"

I feel like the sedins have two years tops left in them..and they arent taking roster spots from any players right now who actually deserve them. 

anyways CDC runs like clockwork. 

lose 1 game = sedins are so slow. they need to retire.and although vanek has an identical statline to daniel sedin...trade and resign him. hes so good.
win 1= sedins can play one more year.

lose 1 again = sedins are literally embarrassing to watch.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, canucker1971 said:

5 days until the deadline, and just one overpayment for a slow footed, injury prone third pairing dman.

MAKE SOME TRADES LENNING!!!!!!!! GET SOME ASSETS!!!!!! TRADE AWAY THOSE FAT CAT HAPPY TO BE HERE VETS LIKE EDLER!!!!!!! TRADE THE TWINS, TRADE THE OLD GUYS, THE SLOW FOOTED TWINS, ENOUGH telling the world that you wouldn't be competitive if you trades these guys. Jimmy, you aren't competitive now, and you aren't stock piling picks. Is it me or does it seem Linden and Benning are absolutely bloody clueless. Have they seen the rink is half full??????????????????

Time to be ruthless Lenning, time to cut bait, time to put on those big boy pants and make some hard decisions. AND for god sakes, STOP CAWDLING THE TWINS. THEY ARE DONE> MOVE ON, hang their jerseys, but, lets move on and get faster and younger. They are almost 38.

Clearly what they Lenning combo is saying and actually doing are two different things. All Canuck fans have choices. My choice is I won't pay for any tickets until two things happen:

1) The LENNING combo is fired

2) The Canucks add some toughness. This is the SOFTEST NHL hockey team I have ever seen in my entire life. 

Whats the definition of insanity LENNING??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh look at you! Talking like you even know what big boy pants are like.

regards,  G.

I like how the Canucks are rebuilding.  Before last season, how long did the Oil miss the play-offs and finish near the bottom of the league?  10 or 12 years?  They had no vets to teach the young guys and they sucked for a long time.  This seems so obvious to me.  Mentorship is an important thing that that helps young guys develop.  That is why signing Guddy was I think a good idea.  Three years without a NTC was a good signing.  Botch, Tony G, Dave Pratt and the rest of the media should understand as supposid sports commentators; this is a better way to do it.

55 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I like how the Canucks are rebuilding.  Before last season, how long did the Oil miss the play-offs and finish near the bottom of the league?  10 or 12 years?  They had no vets to teach the young guys and they sucked for a long time.  This seems so obvious to me.  Mentorship is an important thing that that helps young guys develop.  That is why signing Guddy was I think a good idea.  Three years without a NTC was a good signing.  Botch, Tony G, Dave Pratt and the rest of the media should understand as supposid sports commentators; this is a better way to do it.

Just look up how many times NYI have been in the playoffs the last 30 years.  There are a lot of teams that haven't been very good for a three decades.  The Canucks were not one of them, but we are going to pay the piper as a result of how things went down with the previous managements move to make sure the team would stay together.  If we get out with this core I would consider us lucky, and Benning a pretty great GM.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

The ratio of good deal vs bad deal is like 5 to 1 bad across North America and in some of Europe

18 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The ratio of good deal vs bad deal is like 5 to 1 bad across North America and in some of Europe

Did you see the poll 1040 did on the Guddy signing?  Fans voting on it seemed the least concern about Guddy's contract and were fine with it.  Even some people on here are happy because the term is only 3 years. 

Archived