The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media, Getting Giggles About Canucks and Tanking

TheGuardian_

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Smart man, he, like many "hockey" people know this team needs to be blown up, "striped down" (Linden) and need better players than OJ or Virtanen as 1rst round picks, BTW I like Virtanen and have posted that he should be used as he is now, just let him play without the drama of being benched for the same things that Sutter, Gagner, Sedins do repeatedly.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

There will be lots of media talk regarding Canadian teams NOT making the playoffs and around the draft lottery it will be interestingtosee if more of this continues, it has started on the local media now too.

"tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick." huh? i'd assume thats something bad teams do.

We're in the era of the lotto, tanking on purpose makes very little sense anymore. You cannot tell me that in any given year anyone really knows who in the #5-15 picks will pay off as elite players, and securing the #31st spot for a guaranteed 1-4 pick has way too many things out of your control to ensure. 

13 teams passed on McAvoy. 16 on Kyle Connor. 22 on Boeser. And on and on. 

I'd argue that scouting and proper development are now just as important as "tanking on purpose" thanks to the inherent uncertainly of the lotto. 

Also, as a fan base we really need to stop caring what "the media" has to say about team building. Most of them are there to set up false arguments to create "controversy" that they think sells ad space. 

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

What's the point of listening to these manipulative ****ers anymore? I refuse to click onto whatever the OP referenced(can imagine, pretty much)

It's obvious their directives is to just stir s**t up. So our market is currently amped about landing a top-4 talent? Well sully that with petty innuendoes & false comparisons.

You talk about conduct beneath one's dignity? Imagine working in a gig(modern sports "media") where you're required to prattle on like jr high girls in a hallway-clique!

****ing disgraceful! :^)

It’s not as bad as you might think.

Some jabs at “the Plan” and thus JB’s resigning. 

Its a fair comment, in the context of what was said by SlimJim in the beginning. 

34 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They weren't wrong in what they said.  Only the biggest of homers thought that the Canucks were getting into the playoffs this year.

Granted, I don't think anybody thought that the Canucks had a legitimate shot at finishing dead last...

Time capsule thread I had them DEADLAST.

In fact they’ve done better than I thought And jim still has a job.but I’m sure that’ll be rectified next spring when we are in the same position again. 

You can’t win when your team is as bad as Vancouver call it tanking but when the roster is filled with bottom six fringe fillers and old and slow vets sprinkled very lightly with skilled youth but decimated with injuries it’s pretty hard to say this tank was intentional. 

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s not as bad as you might think.

Some jabs at “the Plan” and thus JB’s resigning. 

Its a fair comment, in the context of what was said by SlimJim in the beginning. 

May well be true. Media in general today make me want to vomit. Not much different than advertising, & I conciously try to avoid them both, wherever possible.

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Time capsule thread I had them DEADLAST.

In fact they’ve done better than I thought And jim still has a job.but I’m sure that’ll be rectified next spring when we are in the same position again. 

You can’t win when your team is as bad as Vancouver call it tanking but when the roster is filled with bottom six fringe fillers and old and slow vets sprinkled very lightly with skilled youth but decimated with injuries it’s pretty hard to say this tank was intentional.

Congrats on the prognosticating...  Hopefully it will turn into the second overall pick for the Canucks.  B)

I doubt anybody thinks that the Canucks actually tanked.  It's a team with poor depth that has had injuries to key players.  Not a good recipe.

Once the kids that are currently in the system grow up, the depth problem should go away and the team's fortunes will hopefully change.

A few people here have no idea how bad the famine was until  Pat Quinn brought us relief.

I'm being patient by experience because I believe in our organization that by the 2019/20 season we will have put Calgary, Edmonton and the Cali teams in our rear view mirror!

Hang in there!

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It was bound to happen and now when discussing teams making the playoffs I expect there will be more of this kind of media observations.

Cue the "eastern media hate us", the "eastern media doesn't know", the " eastern ....blah, blah, blah" posters

This maybe just the start of the "what the ? are they doing" or the "at last they acknowledge....." or "they are finally doing ....." maybe even some stuff like this.

Comments on national radio by a major network about the Vancouver Canucks and management.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/is-there-an-nhl-team-openly-tanking-this-season~1347720

Or, just insert "the CDC ...blah, blah, blah posters".

regards,  G.

39 minutes ago, 6string said:

A few people here have no idea how bad the famine was until  Pat Quinn brought us relief.

I'm being patient by experience because I believe in our organization that by the 2019/20 season we will have put Calgary, Edmonton and the Cali teams in our rear view mirror!

Hang in there!

No shortage of irony that "tank nation" are also the people pretending to expect results in the shorter term, because they were dumb enough to swallow the flake news of people like Ferraro who misrepresent what management has said, and don't actually understand what the franchise has done.   Ferraro oversold himself on straw conception of a rething - in the midst of how in-vogue it was to make a joke of the league in the way that Toronto thoroughly and repeatedly did - and were rewarded for it.

Additionally, they were daft enough to think the team would be this bad - when healthy - and were punked by this team when it was - so they're back in a void to try to congratulate themselves for 'knowing' how bad 'we' are.

It's really very simple. 

The team wasn't good enough to sustain the volume of injuries it has to key players.

It's also not good enough to take nights off and win regardless, particularly when it has half a lineup.

Anyhow, I look forward to the draft - our team earns its high picks through misfortune, not a "plan" to be as horrible as possible.

And I look forward to the start of next season when we can once again see what this team - when it's relatively healthy - is made of.

I actually think the Canucks deserve a lot of credit for the Oilers season.

They showed Deadmonton on opening night that a decade of lottery picks will not make you a contender.

They broke them right out of the gate.  Dorset owned their star.  The rest of our team outworked and outclassed them.  It was a very rude awakening that might have actually predicated a reality check season for them.

I'm proud of this team - they looked great when they were healthy - they worked hard all year long - and now they are severely over-matched by most good opponents.  I feel bad for them - and this is precisely one of the reasons I'm not a proponent of tankdown teardowns.  I do not want our player subjected to this for protracted periods of time, certainly not years on end - and I'm sure they can - to a man - tell you the difference between 'remaining competitive' - as they have been when relatively healthy - and 'planning' to be severely overmatched, which no athlete wants to endure for long.

I look at the parity in the NHL - no team is going to sustain the level of injuries this team did and survive the season.

I look at teams like St Louis, Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Edmonton - and they are all on the outside looking in on the playoff picture.  It doesn't take much to separate relatively good teams from playoff teams.

If the Canucks had been remotely healthy and found themselves where they are regardless - then I'd be concerned and would be calling for a re-rething.   But the way Green had this group performing when he had an actual NHL lineup - I don't think it takes an idiot to be optimistic whatsoever.  In fact, I saw the impact that one serious scoring threat could add to this team's ability to compete.  If Boeser were our last prospect, and we didn't have 8 players on I.R., then I'd be concerned.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ray was po'd that Jim tried to field a competitive team this year, I recall him whinging about that with the Vanek deal. He wanted team tank from the start. So no surprises he's on that tack. I'm not sure I've heard anything useful out of Ray for a long time. 

I  dunno... Hot air has been pretty useful this winter :lol:

Negativity sells. Simple as that.

Of course they're not going to talk about half the team injured, playing 6-7 AHL'rs last night , minus Vanek and Dorsett as well

Justifying losing through injuries and TDL sell offs  would be less negative and therefore impact your marketing and media justification dollars.

The big picture looks very bright for us, and most fans following closely can wipe the mud off the windshield,  and a see the clear direction we're headed 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'd love to hear Ferraro quote Benning saying he thought this team was going to make the playoffs.

What a bullship artist.    Doesnt' know the difference between a goal and an expectation.

Here's the even greater irony:

Where did Ferraro expect Edmonton to finish?

Where did Edmonton expect to be right now?   Is it injuries that are tanking their season?

Lottery champions have a "plan" - but Benning is the butt of their joke.

I sense these idiots are actually threatened by Benning.  An honest transition is apparently a joke.

What a f'd up mentality.

So much truth here it boggles the mind that either 

a.) it's a concept too difficult to grasp for "hockey people" looking at you Ray.

b.) its blatant pot stirring for ratings.

its actually embarrassing how bush league the NHL "talking heads club"/media can be.

I could easily use this nonsense as a sole reason to support JB.

how can you not get behind genuine integrity?.....oh right.  It's not always easy to do.

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's all I can really do in a Guardian thread.

It's just unfortunate that this is the best the alt-rethingers can come up with.

I mean Ray is like a John Travolta character.

Well, yeah, Toronto was bad....but they were trying to be bad lol.

Image result for grease john travolta gif

For over a decade lol.

Unfortunately, teams tend to play down to their 'competition'.   When the best trash talk coming our way is 'er, what's your plan?', unfortunately it doesn't 'elevate' anyone's game.

Here's our new plan.

We'll go for a decade of top 10 picks.

We'll have literally no core players outside of them for that entire time.

We'll draft with futility outside of the top 10 - with next to nothing in our lineup to show for it.

We'll 'stockpile' picks anyhow, and call that our 'plan' - but can anyone show us a single player in the lineup as a result?

And then, we create an archipelago of injury islands to warehouse NHL players on - as we circumvent the CBA, and ice the worst possible lineups so that our paying customers can buy into a pseudo-Shanaplan riding on lottery balls.

If only the Canucks had the genius.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Smart man, he, like many "hockey" people know this team needs to be blown up, "striped down" (Linden) and need better players than OJ or Virtanen as 1rst round picks, BTW I like Virtanen and have posted that he should be used as he is now, just let him play without the drama of being benched for the same things that Sutter, Gagner, Sedins do repeatedly.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

There will be lots of media talk regarding Canadian teams NOT making the playoffs and around the draft lottery it will be interestingtosee if more of this continues, it has started on the local media now too.

This is the

single

most ridiculous post this year.  Obviously there has been some stiff competition but congratulations on developing what we can now refer to as a 

"guardian"

Archived