The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake's Contract..Looks Like What???

Nuxfanabroad

23 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As a summer RFA, I think this one is quite a curious question. Due to a number of variables, I'd suspect this negotiation will have more of a big hit/miss aspect to it.

- high pick(hasn't yet met expectations)

- size & speed, we need

- insinuations it wasn't JB's 1st choice?

- local kid(the Cam Neely hang-ups, PTSD)

- We do have quite the growing wealth, on W's/fwds

I'd bank on/invest in Jake, even offering a longer bridge(w/NTC) due to his likely local boy-loyalty. I'm thinking something in the 5yr/2.5 mill-range(akin to Burr's cost-saving beauty deal).

Biggest downside if we traded: Another Neely scenario

Biggest downside if kept(& he doesn't progress): Something like Sandlak's legacy

As fans, we'll probably all rather it's the latter, if this doesn't go well(from perspective of say, a decade into the future). Let's hope we deal with neither of the two!

With Jake's beautiful stride, I suggest we try to lock him in for a lengthy period(accepting NTC), if he keeps the number easily digestible.

Opinions???

It's certainly not in Jake's best interest to sign a long term deal low salary deal. I don't see him signing more than a two year deal unless it's has a progressive salary increase in it. Of course giving him a longer progressive deal would indicate managemnts confidence in Jake improving over the term of the deal. Players and their agents aren't stupid. At his age they won't take a long term deal at a low salary. That's accepting he's topped out at what he will become as a player.

Jake i have noticed is still young at the nhl level..to be direct id like to see him get stronger mentally and physically..id like him to  really step it up to make the bigger money..id like to see him show leadership and show a bit more grit in his hockey game without being penalized....the team hassle really good pieces to be a great team..it just needs more determination next year but playing smart as i said many times will  make the team durable and less injury prone.

2 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

Jake i have noticed is still young at the nhl level..to be direct id like to see him get stronger mentally and physically..id like him to  really step it up to make the bigger money..id like to see him show leadership and show a bit more grit in his hockey game without being penalized....the team hassle really good pieces to be a great team..it just needs more determination next year but playing smart as i said many times will  make the team durable and less injury prone.

I agree, he has improved a lot but nowhere near to commanding more than say $1.5 for 2/3 years. He is still very patchy and needs to work harder on the aspects you mention.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:08 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Precisely. Reminiscent of the Burrows deal. That seemed to create good vibes that influenced other player-negotiations. Could work again.

Did it really though?

There is a lot of talk on here about the great contracts Gilman signed and yet we still can't get out from under the Sedin payback contracts.

The Canucks signed a lot of bad contracts whether by Benning or Gillis/Gilman and we never did win the cup and only had about a 3year window of opportunity.

After 2012 it has been all down hill and payoffs not playoffs. That is a long time ago to still be paying good guy money. 

I'd rather pay Jake fairly and trade him, or another blooming prospect, high if need be.

If Virt manages to remain with the team post draft day and we re-sign him, then no more than $1.5M to $1.7M for 2-4 years.  HOWEVER, I would not be surprised if the Canucks bundle him up with Hutton and deal them away for another first round pick as they are the only two young trade baits with some skill that might catch someone's interest.  I bet Mgmt is 50-50 on both those guys (likely less with Hutton - who is probably gone for sure after his horrible play this year)

15 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If Virt manages to remain with the team post draft day and we re-sign him, then no more than $1.5M to $1.7M for 2-4 years.  HOWEVER, I would not be surprised if the Canucks bundle him up with Hutton and deal them away for another first round pick as they are the only two young trade baits with some skill that might catch someone's interest.  I bet Mgmt is 50-50 on both those guys (likely less with Hutton - who is probably gone for sure after his horrible play this year)

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

For what he has proven so far i would offer a cool 500-750K nothing more nothing less. If he doesnt take it I see a minor league contract with another team in his future.. While he has been better for sure he still has a ton of work to do. 

:bored:

On 3/16/2018 at 3:58 PM, -AJ- said:

I think he gets $2M max, but probably a bit less. I'd guess between $1.6M and $1.9M for two years. He hasn't yet proven himself stable over a long period of time yet.

If by incentives, you mean bonuses, they can't be done on deals after the Entry Level Contract. The only options for bonuses are ELCs and one-year deals for players over 35.

Wow  i didn't know this, well then sign him cheap and make him perform for his food : )

gKyxK_s-200x150.gif

On 2018-03-21 at 2:59 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

For what he has proven so far i would offer a cool 500-750K nothing more nothing less. If he doesnt take it I see a minor league contract with another team in his future.. While he has been better for sure he still has a ton of work to do. 

This is how not to negotiate a contract. lol

Archived