The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Cosby retrial verdict: Guilty on all 3 counts of aggravated indecent assault

nuckin_futz

On 4/28/2018 at 11:49 PM, Toews said:

PS: I have not really watched anything of Cosby's and now never will. I would not be able to view him as anything except a predator and a pervert.

I get the same feeling towards a true auteur of filmaking - Roman Polanski (I watched his movies before I knew about his "history").  I understand the trauma he went thru growing up during WWII in Poland and the tragedy regarding his wife; but it's tough for me to forget that he drugged a 13 year old and had sex with her.

Also get that same creepy vibe from Woody Allen (I mean, marrying your adopted daughter - makes Marty Brodeur divorcing his ex-wife & marrying his ex-wife's sister seem ordinary...).  Can't watch his movies now either.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I get the same feeling towards a true auteur of filmaking - Roman Polanski (I watched his movies before I knew about his "history").  I understand the trauma he went thru growing up during WWII in Poland and the tragedy regarding his wife; but it's tough for me to forget that he drugged a 13 year old and had sex with her.

Also get that same creepy vibe from Woody Allen (I mean, marrying your adopted daughter - makes Marty Brodeur divorcing his ex-wife & marrying his ex-wife's sister seem ordinary...).  Can't watch his movies now either.

Unfortunately humans repeat patterns of behaviour they were exposed to as children.

While this is not exactly the case with Polanski, what he saw/happened to him probably affected his character.

I am not trying to excuse his actions rather explain them.

At some point in our lives we must make a conscious choice to take responsibility for our actions.

If people I admire break the moral code I believe we should adhere to then I lose respect/admiration for them.

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎29 at 12:49 AM, Toews said:

PS: I have not really watched anything of Cosby's and now never will. I would not be able to view him as anything except a predator and a pervert.

I never watched much of the Cosby show back when I was a kid. But my wife did, and a few years back (before any of this new broke), she started streaming the old episodes regularly. I saw a lot of them, and really, really enjoyed them - they were truly funny.

Also, I had a DVD of a stand-up act he did, and it was friggin' hilarious. At some point I misplaced it, and was hoping it would show up again. But since all of this came down, forget about it. Won't be able to watch any of his stuff ever again. Mostly because he is front & center in all of it. It's a shame that others (actors, writers, etc.) who did nothing but work hard to make the Cosby show a success will have that work sullied forever.

As for Polanski, I've seen some of his movies despite knowing what he did, and might even watch some of them again. Although I in no way endorse him, and find it sickening how many in Hollywood did/do, it's not the same. Although he's directing the picture, you don't see him. You see the other actors, you hear the words of the writers, etc...he simply framed it.

It has been argued that the Cosby show made it possible for Obama to get elected.  My parents loved the show and we all used to watch it together every week.  For people that remember the 80s this has been such a sad story.  A man who showed a different Black America and more importantly provided everyone with a positive model of how a family should work ended up being a monster.  My Dad loved the Dr Huxtable character he would have been devastated to see what has happened.

1 hour ago, samurai said:

It has been argued that the Cosby show made it possible for Obama to get elected.  My parents loved the show and we all used to watch it together every week.  For people that remember the 80s this has been such a sad story.  A man who showed a different Black America and more importantly provided everyone with a positive model of how a family should work ended up being a monster.  My Dad loved the Dr Huxtable character he would have been devastated to see what has happened.

By dumbasses.

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Yes according to me, and I am more than qualified - I have a doctorate in cognitive linguistics.  Working memory constraints are one of the best measures for intelligence.  

Congratulations! I'm certain you worked very hard to achieve that.

I'm still going to maintain that anyone who entertains the idea that the Cosby Show paved the way for Obama to be president is a dumbass with an elementary understanding of race relations in America but seriously, excellent work on the doctorate. :)

In the 

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Congratulations! I'm certain you worked very hard to achieve that.

I'm still going to maintain that anyone who entertains the idea that the Cosby Show paved the way for Obama to be president is a dumbass with an elementary understanding of race relations in America but seriously, excellent work on the doctorate. :)

Of course you provide no counter evidence.  The Cosby show from 1985-90 was the most watched show in the US. For the first 3 years it averaged 29 million viewers a week. For the final 2 years the weekly viewership was 22 million.  That level of viewership for a weekly TV is unheard of these days for obvious reasons.

The Cosby Show was societal changing series - do your homework, that is undisputed.  Did it directly get Obama elected - no.  But it is well acknowledged as probably having a major influence on the acceptability of Obama. As someone who knows the 80s, 90s, and now extremely well I would concur.   

Here is one of may articles on the subject with various experts and academics quoted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/arts/television/08cosb.html

Of course what has come out of this with the Cosby crime is very disappointing for millions of people that looked up to him during that period.

56 minutes ago, samurai said:

In the 

Of course you provide no counter evidence.  The Cosby show from 1985-90 was the most watched show in the US. For the first 3 years it averaged 29 million viewers a week. For the final 2 years the weekly viewership was 22 million.  That level of viewership for a weekly TV is unheard of these days for obvious reasons.

The Cosby Show was societal changing series - do your homework, that is undisputed.  Did it directly get Obama elected - no.  But it is well acknowledged as probably having a major influence on the acceptability of Obama. As someone who knows the 80s, 90s, and now extremely well I would concur.   

Here is one of may articles on the subject with various experts and academics quoted.

Of course what has come out of this with the Cosby crime is very disappointing for millions of people that looked up to him during that period.

It seem awfully convenient that in the article you cited, one of the main proponents of the Huxtable Effect is....Bill Cosby. Somehow I think generations of exceptional black people paved the way for Obama (plus being exceptional himself) ahead of a fictional family.

Interestingly enough, four years before that article was written, Cosby had this to say about African-Americans:

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don’t know a damned thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Shaligua, Mohammed and all that crap and all of them are in jail.

He said that in 2004. The same year he drugged and raped Andrea Constand. So his theories may be a bit suspect.

Bill Cosby is an disgusting sick human  being....

He should be locked up until he passes away.... 

He has demonstrated no remorse for the horrific things he did to innocent young women. 

He is just a disgusting pathetic disgrace to the human race.  His wife is also demonstrated no empathy to the victims of her husband..

2 disgusting humans.

The Cosby show had nothing to do with Obama becoming president...

He was the hand picked choice of the same people who have given them(the US) every president from LBJ forward.

Till the current one....that's why you see the 24 hr a day bashing of him in their media.

Obama was probably the worst president in American history (for Americans)...but he sure did his handlers proud.

BSed "Obamacare" thru the senate and congress and raised the deficit by 8 TRILLION dollars..all while opening the borders to anyone with a pulse.

Continued to occupy and control "Terrorist" nations who just happen to be incredible rich in resources and install their central banks in the last remaining  countries that weren't owned from top to bottom. All in the name of "Freedom" "Security" and "Democracy".  USA! USA! USA!

RED WHITE AND BLUE !

Just as he was put in place to do.

Does anyone in here honestly believe that he read or wrote a single page of that abomination called Obamacare ?

If anyone in here doesn't believe this to be true...please take a minute to research which nations weren't under the control of a Rothschilds central bank in the summer of 2001 (pre 9/11 2001).

Then see how many nations aren't under the control of them now.

It's all public record and not denied by anyone.

Still have North Korea to go...if you wonder why they're becoming US enemy #1.

Nukes...LOL

13 hours ago, samurai said:

In the 

I loved the Cosby show as a kid, still one of the best theme songs in all of tv.  Despite all of the turmoil if they were to replay The Cosby show on tv I would probably still watch it again.

[Theo has received a "D" and is explaining why he should not be punished]

Theo: You're a doctor and Mom's a lawyer, and you're both successful in everything and that's great! But maybe I was born to be a regular person and have a regular life. If you weren't a doctor, I wouldn't love you less, because you're my dad. So rather than feeling disappointed because I'm not like you, maybe you should accept who I am and love me anyway, because I'm your son.

Cliff: Theo... that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life! No wonder you get D's in everything! You're afraid to try because you're afraid your brain is going to explode and it's going to ooze out of your ears. Now I'm telling you, you are going to try as hard as you can. And you're going to do it because I said so. I am your father. I brought you into this world, and I'll take you out!

Heathcliff Huxtable: Where are you going?

Denise Huxtable Kendall: I have a date, Daddy.

Heathcliff Huxtable: [referring to the belt on her leg] Uh, not like that, blood cannot get up to your brain from there! And besides, it's a school night.

Denise Huxtable Kendall: It's Friday, Daddy.

Heathcliff Huxtable: Yeah, but did you go to school today?

Denise Huxtable Kendall: Yeah...

Heathcliff Huxtable: And so it's a "school night".

Archived