The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden quotes on Draft Prospects

Vinny in Vancouver

12 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does anybody else think there is a scenario where Zadina and Tkachuk both drop?

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Bouchard

4. Boqvist

5. Dobson

6. Hughes

I think if that were the case, it would be from teams wanting defenders as your ranking indicates; however, I highly HIGHLY doubt this happens.

47 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think if that were the case, it would be from teams wanting defenders as your ranking indicates; however, I highly HIGHLY doubt this happens.

As entertaining as that scenario would be, I can’t imagine teams passing on the forwards expected to go in the top 4. 

I’d take BT at #3 behind the Russian, then maybe take a chance on a Dman over Zadina, but even then, I think that Zadina has a better chance at becoming an impact player than those D at this point.

However, I believe that Zadina does not have the same ceiling potential as a Boqvist, so my rink-dink, amateurish opinion is not worth the time you’ve just spent reading this.  

I have faith in the scouts, but after picking OJ and JV over what they did, I am only half-sure they can get this right. 

I also think Dobson and Wahlstrom will both available at #7. I think Bouchard and Boqvist will both be gone. 

Coin-toss?

A maybe top pair Dman or a sniper with desire issues. Hmmm. 

Good luck, scouts. 

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As entertaining as that scenario would be, I can’t imagine teams passing on the forwards expected to go in the top 4. 

I’d take BT at #3 behind the Russian, then maybe take a chance on a Dman over Zadina, but even then, I think that Zadina has a better chance at becoming an impact player than those D at this point.

However, I believe that Zadina does not have the same ceiling potential as a Boqvist, so my rink-dink, amateurish opinion is not worth the time you’ve just spent reading this.  

I have faith in the scouts, but after picking OJ and JV over what they did, I am only half-sure they can get this right. 

I also think Dobson and Wahlstrom will both available at #7. I think Bouchard and Boqvist will both be gone. 

Coin-toss?

A maybe top pair Dman or a sniper with desire issues. Hmmm. 

Good luck, scouts. 

When you say a sniper with desire issues is that to Wahlstrom whom you are referring to?

It's the first I have heard of any negative to his game physically or mentally if true.

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

When you say a sniper with desire issues is that to Wahlstrom whom you are referring to?

It's the first I have heard of any negative to his game physically or mentally if true.

I heard the same concerns about Wahlstrom too.  I can’t remember where, but it was likely some insider on the radio.  

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does anybody else think there is a scenario where Zadina and Tkachuk both drop?

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Bouchard

4. Boqvist

5. Dobson

6. Hughes

I do think there’s a slight chance Zadina drops past 3 but a 0% chance he makes it to us at 7. Tkachuk there’s a very realistic chance he’s there at 7.

Carolina has a fair number of younger D men, so they are not exactly starved in that department. I could easily see them extracting something to drop to 4-6 and still pick up Zadina; he was a former teammate to a current 'Cane, and they played well together.

The only forwards I could see being around at out pick are Wahlstrom and Tchachuk. I could see Wahlstrom dropping a little more, as he has already declared he is going to college next year; that would rule out someone getting him for an immediate fix. I think it will go:

Dahlin

Trade out by Carolina, some takes Boqvist

Svechnikov

Hughes

Trade (to Carolina) now Zadina goes

Bouchard or Tchachuk

leaving us with Dobson, Tchachuk, Wahlstrom or Bouchard to choose from. Not exactly a poor choice with any one of them, just not sure I'd like to be the person to make the pick. You know it will be second guessed for the next 5 years (minimum), unless the one we pick is brilliant and the others suck.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

It’s in my THN’s Top 100 Prospects write up on him. 

I quickly searched for a link, but didn’t see it. I get the magazines still. Ibatch and I are probably the only guys still subscribing to the old rag. Love it. 

Basically says he doesn’t always show up with his A-game. 

Also, “I see some entitlement in his game”. 

Apparently, this was the little kid from years ago who wowed the internet with that nifty lacrosse-style goal in a competition. I’ve yet to google it, but that’s from here...

https://thehockeywriters.com/oliver-wahlstrom-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Post the video if you find it. 

Maybe somebody else will post the link I was referring to from the THN writeup on him, too. 

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s in my THN’s Top 100 Prospects write up on him. 

I quickly searched for a link, but didn’t see it. I get the magazines still. Ibatch and I are probably the only guys still subscribing to the old rag. Love it. 

Basically says he doesn’t always show up with his A-game. 

Also, “I see some entitlement in his game”. 

Apparently, this was the little kid from years ago who wowed the internet with that nifty lacrosse-style goal in a competition. I’ve yet to google it, but that’s from here...

https://thehockeywriters.com/oliver-wahlstrom-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Post the video if you find it. 

Maybe somebody else will post the link I was referring to from the THN writeup on him, too. 

His combine interviews will be very important then. 

12 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Carolina has a fair number of younger D men, so they are not exactly starved in that department. I could easily see them extracting something to drop to 4-6 and still pick up Zadina; he was a former teammate to a current 'Cane, and they played well together.

The only forwards I could see being around at out pick are Wahlstrom and Tchachuk. I could see Wahlstrom dropping a little more, as he has already declared he is going to college next year; that would rule out someone getting him for an immediate fix. I think it will go:

Dahlin

Trade out by Carolina, some takes Boqvist

Svechnikov

Hughes

Trade (to Carolina) now Zadina goes

Bouchard or Tchachuk

leaving us with Dobson, Tchachuk, Wahlstrom or Bouchard to choose from. Not exactly a poor choice with any one of them, just not sure I'd like to be the person to make the pick. You know it will be second guessed for the next 5 years (minimum), unless the one we pick is brilliant and the others suck.

Kotkaniemi?

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

No I think they go 3/4, both gone by 5 for sure.

I think Wahlstrom is a better prospect than Tkachuk and probably the best pure goal scorer after Svechnikov and Zadina.

There are questions about Tkachuk and his late birthday and his offensive ceiling. Even though he has a high floor as a safe projection as a middle six forward at worst.

Wahlstrom was the best draft eligible player on the USNDT under 18's playing next to 2019 #1 draft projected pick Jack Hughes and Joel Farabee 2018 eligible.

There are probably more than a few people in the NHL who believe Wahlstrom has more potential than Tkachuk.

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Kotkaniemi?

Yes, he would be there also. But would that be a reach? I was thinking more along the lines of not only who would be available at #7, but also who would be considered to go that high. Kotkaniemi, I was thinking would be perfect for the #11 or #12 pick that NYI has, if we could put a package together for one of those picks. Also, if all of those guys are available at the same time, and are more or less considered to be on par with each other (ie BPA), then Benning can also consider positional needs. No, we do not have great depth at center...at least top 6 depth. If we draft Kotkaniemi, he will likely not be NHL ready until the 19-20 season (a stretch) or more likely the 20-21 season. By then, Pettersson should be playing top line center, and Gaudette just might be able to play that high also.

I feel we have more need to work on our upper-end D with the #7 than with a potential top 6 center. We have Horvat as a top 6 now, and Pettersson in a couple of years. But top 2 D? We don't really have that now, not firmly. Both Edler and Tanev are borderline top pairing, and only on an average to less than average team. The jury is out on Juolevi, but unless he really comes on, he is also not a top pairing D. Hence my thinking of positional need to at least address a top pairing Dman.

33 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Yes, he would be there also. But would that be a reach? I was thinking more along the lines of not only who would be available at #7, but also who would be considered to go that high. Kotkaniemi, I was thinking would be perfect for the #11 or #12 pick that NYI has, if we could put a package together for one of those picks. Also, if all of those guys are available at the same time, and are more or less considered to be on par with each other (ie BPA), then Benning can also consider positional needs. No, we do not have great depth at center...at least top 6 depth. If we draft Kotkaniemi, he will likely not be NHL ready until the 19-20 season (a stretch) or more likely the 20-21 season. By then, Pettersson should be playing top line center, and Gaudette just might be able to play that high also.

I feel we have more need to work on our upper-end D with the #7 than with a potential top 6 center. We have Horvat as a top 6 now, and Pettersson in a couple of years. But top 2 D? We don't really have that now, not firmly. Both Edler and Tanev are borderline top pairing, and only on an average to less than average team. The jury is out on Juolevi, but unless he really comes on, he is also not a top pairing D. Hence my thinking of positional need to at least address a top pairing Dman.

Kotkaniemi just had a helluva season in Liiga, a very good professional league as a 17 year old and he marched Wahlstroms point total at the U18, leading his team to gold over the US. 

He's good on draws, is 190 lbs (likely to top out around 205) and plays pk and pp which could accelerate his projected arrival.  He's no further away than Wahlstrom or Tkachuk and likely has a much higher ceiling.  The only thing keeping him out of the top 5 convo is his skating style, but his speed isn't an issue and he's got great feet and elite edge work.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Kotkaniemi just had a helluva season in Liiga, a very good professional league as a 17 year old and he marched Wahlstroms point total at the U18, leading his team to gold over the US. 

He's good on draws, is 190 lbs (likely to top out around 205) and plays pk and pp which could accelerate his projected arrival.  He's no further away than Wahlstrom or Tkachuk and likely has a much higher ceiling.  The only thing keeping him out of the top 5 convo is his skating style, but his speed isn't an issue and he's got great feet and elite edge work.

Be that as it may. Yes, good-great season and I have watched the kid rocket up the rankings. Call it a philosophical difference of opinion. I would prefer drafting D, all things being equal.

I do value your opinion, believe me. You...and several others who offer well thought out posts. 

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think Wahlstrom is a better prospect than Tkachuk and probably the best pure goal scorer after Svechnikov and Zadina.

There are questions about Tkachuk and his late birthday and his offensive ceiling. Even though he has a high floor as a safe projection as a middle six forward at worst.

Wahlstrom was the best draft eligible player on the USNDT under 18's playing next to 2019 #1 draft projected pick Jack Hughes and Joel Farabee 2018 eligible.

There are probably more than a few people in the NHL who believe Wahlstrom has more potential than Tkachuk.

I like your research and in depth analysis.

3 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Be that as it may. Yes, good-great season and I have watched the kid rocket up the rankings. Call it a philosophical difference of opinion. I would prefer drafting D, all things being equal.

I do value your opinion, believe me. You...and several others who offer well thought out posts. 

I do think it will be a d as well.  

14 hours ago, stawns said:

He's also another of the guys (like Boqvist, Wahlstrom) who have very late birthdates.

Kotkaniemi is one of the younger players in the draft, with a July 2000 birthdate - not insignificant when he's able to compete at that level (Liiga) as a 17 year old.

if we could pick up hanifin without giving up our 7th pick and then grabbed a d with our pick, our future defense would look pretty solid. 

hanifin taking over for edler.

dobson for tanev

juolevi for del zotto

chatfield for gudbranson

sautner and brisebois taking over for hutton and pouliot 

stecher and biega hanging on to the right side. 

Archived