The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tell me about Kelowna

BabychStache

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Get to elevation above 1100 feet.  If you don't winters will make you nuts.  There is valley cloud all winter long.  There is more snow at elevation, but at least you get to see the sun.  There is the forest fire issue out of the city though.  I guess it's a trade off: sun or fire?  

My business partner was evacuated last year due to a fire. That is a huge concern for us. Is there a fire close by every year?

I moved here in July 2016 from Coquitlam.  We thought about Joe Rich but settled on a quaint older suburb in south east Kelowna.  We've VERY happy we didn't choose Joe Rich, for us it's way too far away from town.  I live two minutes from great mountain biking and hiking, 12 minutes from the lake & beach.  We moved here to cash out of GVR housing (we sold in a sellers market and bought in a buyers market, ya us, very fortunate).  We have young kids (4&7) and they handled the changes just fine.  It's big town with small town people, if that makes any sense.  We find the people a little cliquey.  I've had no issues finding new friends, but my wife has struggled a bit.  Also, a lot of old people, so get ready to go slow wherever you go!  A lot of red plates :).  We moved here for the four seasons, but the last two winters have been so long, especially this year, BUT once it turns to Spring, it's gorgeous here.  Big White was a big plus for us, we chuckled every time people said it was busy, most of the time there were no line ups - amazing conditions and a fun mountain, great for the kids to learn on.  Anyway, we miss the three F's: Friends, Family and Food.  The food is fine here, but no where near the variety you find in Vancouver.  Friends and Family are always showing up, of course!  Verdict?  We'd move here again.

Lived and worked in Kelowna in the '70's, love to move back but living on the lake again is out of my budget. Check out the Eldorado in the Mission and Knox Mountain.

You would be smart to consider the entire valley from the border north to Vernon. The real estate may be pricey however it is only going to continue to increase in value. 

7 hours ago, Heretic said:

I'm in Armstrong BC, there's quite a few "smaller" towns out this way.

Kelowna has a big city feel to it - that's why I didn't move there (I lived in Calgary and then Langdon and then Standard AB before moving back to BC).

I'm 65 mins from the Kelowna airport.

Vernon's a lot quieter.

You drive slow.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What I want to know...is if there's so damned many of us living in and around Kelowna.  How have we all not gotten together for a Rockets game already?

I certainly want to become the op's buddy if he is buying a acreage around Kelowna. The guy must be loaded.B)

We will do a vees game this year.B)

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

My business partner was evacuated last year due to a fire. That is a huge concern for us. Is there a fire close by every year?

The whole Okanagan is a fire trap. It's hot as hell all summer. Hope for the best and just realize you are moving to one of the best places on earth. Personally I think Penticton is better but Kelowna is a close second.

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

The fires move around.  Areas that were recently burned have no fuel for a few years.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The whole Okanagan is a fire trap. It's hot as hell all summer. Hope for the best and just realize you are moving to one of the best places on earth. Personally I think Penticton is better but Kelowna is a close second.

Don’t forget about the rattle snakes.  I think it’s also 1100 feet in elevation to be above them.  Oh, and the scorpions.  We had a place down by Osoyoos years back.  Loved it!  You’re right about that whole area being fabulous.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Don’t forget about the rattle snakes.  I think it’s also 1100 feet in elevation to be above them.  Oh, and the scorpions.  We had a place down by Osoyoos years back.  Loved it!  You’re right about that whole area being fabulous.  

I have spent lots of time in Osoyoos. I love the whole valley, actually most all of B.C. I don't care for the lower mainland it's far to crowded and traffic is nuts. You are lucky, you can run your scooter between vehicles so you don't get stuck in traffic.B)

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I have spent lots of time in Osoyoos. I love the whole valley, actually most all of B.C. I don't care for the lower mainland it's far to crowded and traffic is nuts. You are lucky, you can run your scooter between vehicles so you don't get stuck in traffic.B)

If I had my choice I’d be back on the ranch.  That was the best life.  Had to trade in the horse for a scooter though:(

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Joe RIch would definitely be a higher fire risk than a more urban location. You could try the north end of glenmore for an acreage as well - it's a nice area and you are closer to town than Joe Rich. Some people love JR though.

Ill add that an acreage around glenmore would be a lot more expensive than JR.

Lived there in the summer. 

Pros

Sun, everything is about 15 minutes away, lots of outdoor activities if that interests you (frisbee golf, beach volleyball, swimming, grass volleyball, music in the park, quality people, hiking, bike riding, walks, lake for boating, wake surfing etc..), downtown is very nice to walk around. 

Cons

Fire warnings, often smoke in the air, the main road is very busy to get out of around the 5 o clock rush. Is pricey, I believe Peachland or pentiction is a bit cheaper than Kelowna and both are very nice as well. While most take 15 minutes,  there are very few places that do take over 30 minutes to get too if you wish to go there and the traffic is annoying when that happens

11 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Awesome info! Thank you. 

Its funny you say East Kelowna. Our dream spot is Joe Rich. Not much out there right now though. 

I lived in Joe Riche for 5 years. Beautiful area and very peaceful. The winters there a little longer, but it's been my favorite place to have lived so far in Kelowna

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What I want to know...is if there's so damned many of us living in and around Kelowna.  How have we all not gotten together for a Rockets game already?

When i land there, i will host a bbq. 

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I certainly want to become the op's buddy if he is buying a acreage around Kelowna. The guy must be loaded.B)

We will do a vees game this year.B)

Buddy is a business partner. We own a business services firm together and are continuing to build our portfolio of invested companies. His place is pretty special. 5000ft+ home, with a guest suite in the basement. 3 bed carriage house, barn he's converted to his office. Creek in the backyard, backs onto crown land. Very cool place. 

He's been in the game longer than me, i can't drop that kind of scratch. 

19 hours ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

I moved here in July 2016 from Coquitlam.  We thought about Joe Rich but settled on a quaint older suburb in south east Kelowna.  We've VERY happy we didn't choose Joe Rich, for us it's way too far away from town.  I live two minutes from great mountain biking and hiking, 12 minutes from the lake & beach.  We moved here to cash out of GVR housing (we sold in a sellers market and bought in a buyers market, ya us, very fortunate).  We have young kids (4&7) and they handled the changes just fine.  It's big town with small town people, if that makes any sense.  We find the people a little cliquey.  I've had no issues finding new friends, but my wife has struggled a bit.  Also, a lot of old people, so get ready to go slow wherever you go!  A lot of red plates :).  We moved here for the four seasons, but the last two winters have been so long, especially this year, BUT once it turns to Spring, it's gorgeous here.  Big White was a big plus for us, we chuckled every time people said it was busy, most of the time there were no line ups - amazing conditions and a fun mountain, great for the kids to learn on.  Anyway, we miss the three F's: Friends, Family and Food.  The food is fine here, but no where near the variety you find in Vancouver.  Friends and Family are always showing up, of course!  Verdict?  We'd move here again.

Sounds like you guys timed it perfectly! Well done. 

We are more into the forest and trees than the beach and water. However, the option to do both in the same afternoon is so enticing to this prairie boy. 

Archived