The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2018 at 12:37 PM, Toni Zamboni said:

there is no doubt that video games can be addicting 

There was a doco on the ABC here in Aus the other night about video game addiction.I did not watch it but I saw the "shorts". Kids who had not been to school in for a couple of years, others assualting their parents. I was quite schocked. If I have the time I might check it out on I-VIEW

On 2018-08-19 at 2:29 PM, Alflives said:

There’s a big video game tournament in town.  I heard prize money is 24 million.  Maybe, this young hockey player will turn video game pro?  Bad for hockey, but good for the kid if he’s great at it?  

Just don’t let the crazy person lose

On 2018-09-07 at 6:16 PM, RogersTowell said:

There's a manual for psychiatrists called the DSM 5.  It lists recognized disorders.  Since 2013, "Internet Gaming Disorder" has been listed in it as "needing further study", but the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 2018 listed it as a disorder.

So if my kids spend more than a certain amount of time glued to their devices I should worry the have "borderline video game disorder " and not on the path to a full blown addiction?

What about Fakebooking?  Now that's something I could never get behind, it's supposed to be a way to keep connected with people that left and moved abroad, instead it's turned into a narcissistic two headed monster that wants you to take pictures of your food and post it so a person you barely know can like it and give you a dopimine rush that's the same feeling you get when taking narcotics (factually the same).   The WHO should look into that while they are at it and make a disorder for that too.  Or does that fall under the umbrella of internet gaming disorder too, because as you know it's more fantasy than real,  a lot of those people aren't really friends and my observation is it's like people create an alternative identity or picture of themselves. One that they can look at and talks back to them and makes them happy (again the doping).

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 5:54 AM, IBatch said:

So if my kids spend more than a certain amount of time glued to their devices I should worry the have "borderline video game disorder " and not on the path to a full blown addiction?

What about Fakebooking?  Now that's something I could never get behind, it's supposed to be a way to keep connected with people that left and moved abroad, instead it's turned into a narcissistic two headed monster that wants you to take pictures of your food and post it so a person you barely know can like it and give you a dopimine rush that's the same feeling you get when taking narcotics (factually the same).   The WHO should look into that while they are at it and make a disorder for that too.  Or does that fall under the umbrella of internet gaming disorder too, because as you know it's more fantasy than real,  a lot of those people aren't really friends and my observation is it's like people create an alternative identity or picture of themselves. One that they can look at and talks back to them and makes them happy (again the doping).

I was gonna give you a gateway +1 but I decided I better not for precautionary reasons. CDC is a slippery slope.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I bet. It's really a reflection of our society. I'm not against gaming but like anything too much is an issue. I dont see how it can be healthy for team building and communication if it fills too much of your time. Maybe I'm old school but I can't stand video games. I dont even have a game on my phone. I find it lame. 

On 09/09/2018 at 5:54 AM, IBatch said:

You really need to wonder where it is taking society. I remember when hooking up with girls was a challenge of communication, having game, strutting my stuff. Now it's just a text away with little to no interraction. Just jump in the sack. Meh.... guess I'm just jealous as I never had a lot of game and had a pretty bad batting average. Lol.

Archived