The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 1st-round draft pick's career ruined by video game addiction

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It really doesn't sound like Joulevi to me. From the way Marek phrased everything, it sounds like this is about a player that's still in junior. Not to mention that while Joulevi clearly had an adjustment period in Finland, his year got stronger as it went on and he finished fourth in voting for rookie of the year. 

How god damn insecure must Canucks fans be to think that this is Juolevi? 

I'd guess it would be a guy like Conner Bleakley:

https://www.bsndenver.com/colorado-avalanche-prospect-conner-bleackley-stripped-of-captaincy/

Was never signed by the Avs, showed up to camp out of shape and so was traded to the Coyotes, who refused to sign him. He had to re-enter the draft, and was taken really late despite initially being a first rounder. Was stripped of his captaincy and is now playing in the ECHL. 

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Someone posting a quote from reddit quoting someone from HF boards on CDC.  My god that's the trifecta Johnny.

I'll throw out two names, this is purely guessing:

2017 - Michael Rasmussen(DET)

2016 - Michael McLeod(NJ)

Juolevi could game a lot but not at an addiction level, I doubt it's him.  It would be our luck though.

Yes. And keep in mind everyone that most kids game a lot these days.

HFboard is filled with people speculating that it's Juolevi.

They compare a lot of the players on there and it always ends up being concluded as Juolevi. TL;dr summary - It's not Juolevi.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-top-prospects-no-2-olli-juolevi

May 18, 2018  - Jason Botchford

“I think he’s ready,” said Salo, who was an assistant with Juolevi’s Finnish team. “But this is what I said to him: ‘It’s another big jump to make an NHL team. There will be 10 other defencemen battling for those spots.’

“He has to go out there and show what he can do.”

The left side of the Canucks’ defence after Alex Edler isn’t exactly a Murderer’s Row. There’s Michael Del Zotto, Ben Hutton and Derrick Pouliot. It’s not crazy to think Juolevi can outplay these guys and earn a roster spot in the fall. To do it, though, Salo said Juolevi will need to focus on body language.

Wait, what?

“He has a tendency sometimes to look like he’s disinterested, even though he’s not,” Salo said. “Body language is very important in the NHL. You can’t have bad body language. He has to show he’s really into the games and wants to be out there.

“He got better this year as the season went on.”

That’s true for every part of his game. Juolevi saved the best part of the season for last. It was his play down the stretch and in the playoffs that left Salo so impressed.

When the playoffs started, he was our best defenceman,” Salo said. “We lost (Henrik) Tallinder and it was good to see Olli carry the weight of Tallinder. He really picked up the Tallinder weight and was clearly our best defenceman.

“The only thing he didn’t really do was penalty kill. We had older guys in that role and it really worked out well for Olli. He focused on 5-on-5 play and the power play. He was a big part of our power play.”

Salo said Juolevi worked his way up to being the No. 1 point man on their power play.

“He doesn’t have the hardest shot, but he’s good at finding the open lane and getting the pucks through,” Salo said. “I was happy for him. He did have some struggles.”

Salo was referencing the stretch of games following the World Junior Championship. Juolevi skidded through a rough patch, which included multiple games when he was a healthy scratch for his Finnish club.

“It was good for him to get that adversity,” Salo said. “I think it gave him a push.

“It drove home the reality that this isn’t going to be easy in the pros. I think that’s what he had for most of his career. He had more skill and was a better skater coming up.”

Salo suggested Juolevi’s dip in play was in part because of the number of games he played for the country’s senior team in a couple of tournaments and his time with Turku.

“That’s why his physical conditioning has to get to another level this summer,” said Salo, stressing a point he has made when talking about Juolevi for a year now.

Does Juolevi understand what he needs to do in this area?

“He should,” Salo said. “I know his agent as well and we’ve been in contact and talked about this. To play 82 games in the NHL is tough. You have to be in tip-top shape because it’s so taxing.

“If you’re in average shape, or even what you would call good shape, it’s not going to be enough.”

Salo said Juolevi reminds him of Kimmo Timonen, a Finnish legend who played 16 years in the NHL.

“With the way he skates and sees the ice, I do see a little Timonen in him,” Salo said. “He’s in control in every situation, even if he’s under pressure. He’s just calm with the puck.

“He can compete with professionals. It wasn’t easy this year from the start. There was a lot of things he had to get used to.

“Once he focused on taking charge, it became a lot easier for him. He can make really good plays under pressure. He can make plays a lot of defencemen can’t make.”

Conclusion: Yeah... it's not Juolevi.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

So then you are not addicted... but I love how people think that sharing their uneducated opinion is worth other people's time. 

How do you know my opinion is uneducated?  Perhaps I'm a psychologist.  I mean, I'm not... but you don't know that. And is that not what a forum is about?  To share opinions?

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Also, I think you should learn how to spell addiction. 

Original.  Nobody suggested that already.

Terrible dee, who I've seen posting here before, is perpetuating that it is Juolevi on HFboards.

What a knob.

My above post illustrates that Juolevi is going to be an NHL player sooner rather than later. He is NOT the player in question.

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

How do you know my opinion is uneducated?  Perhaps I'm a psychologist.  I mean, I'm not... but you don't know that. And is that not what a forum is about?  To share opinions?

Because if it was an educated opinion, you would know just how debilitating any addiction can be.

Not a huge fan of this story being released without the name of the player attached to it. If it's too sensitive to reveal publically, it shouldn't be released at all. The only thing this does is generate mass speculation about who the player is, meaning that innocent people are being dragged into this discussion without merit.

Also hoping that whomever this was is receiving or has received the proper treatment. Video game addiction is something to be taken seriously.

Just now, gurn said:

Because if it was an educated opinion, you would know just how debilitating any addiction can be.

I've been addicted to smoking, so I have a pretty good idea what addiction is like. Difference being that the chemicals in cigarettes are physically addictive. 

But no, sorry - I don't buy into the idea that one MUST play a video game. I mean... what happens if this guy doesn't play a video game.  Does he start puking and tweaking out?

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't invalidate it.  I am entitled to my own opinion just as you are.

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I knew that from your original post.

You can share your opinion all you want but don't be surprised if others call you out when it's clear that you don't have the knowledge to be speaking as an authority. 

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

But it’s a terrible story because this guy is a good junior hockey player.

Anyone playing in a pro league (Sweden, Finland, AHL etc.) is excluded....plus, not a hope you could do this at professional level and keep it up....roommates for young players etc.     In junior, unfortunately, this is possible.     

Archived