The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks turned down offers on Sutter (Sticking with the plan)

Rush17

Sutter plays the toughest minutes among the forwards, and he allows our young players such as Brock and Bo to play easier minutes. His value is very underrated. The fact that he can score at a 20 goals pace while doing all the stuffs his doing is very impressive. The only downside of his game is his ability to pass the puck. However, if he is an elite passer as well, he would of had a lot more points and he would be much more expensive.

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you could just replace him with a ufa, why would any team trade for him and instead just sign a ufa of their own?

Pretty sure teams were inquiring about Sutter at the TDL.

Canucks would replace him with a summer UFA and gain a pick and a prospect in a better age for our new emerging younger core...

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks would replace him with a summer UFA and gain a pick and a prospect in a better age for our new emerging younger core...

Are you saying you can read into the future?

4 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Goodness, Hutton. Getting uptight again over some rumours and from your favourite whipping boy local reporter to boot

Nope, finding it funny the people who don't have a clue about what makes players valuable beyond 'pointz', and loving the irony that so many teams were allegedly interested.  It's quite humourous actually how they're always shown to be wrong and their complaining irrational.

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Curious though, how the story goes that like Gudbranson and Dorsett and Baertschi (or half the Canucks roster) that apparently "you can easily get players like that in free agency."

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

LOL, as I was just saying...

So a team will give up a pick and a young prospect for Sutter, when they could supposedly get the same thing for free as UFA.

:lol:

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

LOL, as I was just saying...

So a team will give up a pick and a young prospect for Sutter, when they could supposedly get the same thing for free as UFA.

:lol:

LOL  -  pretty sure UFA's were not being signed at the TDL   -    LOL

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I guess the Vegas Knights should all be traded next year so that the team can sign 23 UFA's next year. :lol: Some peoples kids.:rolleyes:

Did Vegas finish 26 th overall  ?

Some kids....

It's amazing, Sutter could put up 0 points next season and be -50 and the same people would still defend him.   

Some on CDC were saying Sutter was going to be good at D and score a ton of goals, due to him not being buried down on the depth chart like he was for the Pens.  He's been a total bust and it would have been nice to actually add some draft picks.  Especially considering how well Benning drafts and that Sutter hasn't helped the team make a playoff push, let alone avoid the basement.  

Sutter, Gudbranson and Eriksson.  14.375 million for what?   How is Benning so good at evaluating talent at the minor league level and this bad at evaluating talent at the NHL level? 

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Sutter plays the toughest minutes among the forwards, and he allows our young players such as Brock and Bo to play easier minutes. His value is very underrated. The fact that he can score at a 20 goals pace while doing all the stuffs his doing is very impressive. The only downside of his game is his ability to pass the puck. However, if he is an elite passer as well, he would of had a lot more points and he would be much more expensive.

20 goal pace?  When was this?  I'd also say paying $4,375,000 for a guy that has trouble cracking 30 points is a downside.  

11 hours ago, Qwags said:

Shows the value that a player like Sutter has around the league. Take note, CDC.

Wasn't everyone on CDC that was defending Benning last trade deadline, saying that we had nothing of value to trade?  Now the story is our players are too valuable to trade?  

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

It's amazing, Sutter could put up 0 points next season and be -50 and the same people would still defend him.   

Some on CDC were saying Sutter was going to be good at D and score a ton of goals, due to him not being buried down on the depth chart like he was for the Pens.  He's been a total bust and it would have been nice to actually add some draft picks.  Especially considering how well Benning drafts and that Sutter hasn't helped the team make a playoff push, let alone avoid the basement.  

Sutter, Gudbranson and Eriksson.  14.375 million for what?   How is Benning so good at evaluating talent at the minor league level and this bad at evaluating talent at the NHL level? 

Sutter is the least of this teams worries. Someone needs to take on the defensive responsibilities. It's not just about scoring goals. Winning draws is nice as well. 

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sutter is the least of this teams worries. Someone needs to take on the defensive responsibilities. It's not just about scoring goals. Winning draws is nice as well. 

I didn't say he was the biggest worry.  Just puzzled how Edler has a good season and he's still a whipping boy on CDC.  Yet Sutter has yet another bad season and he's one of the players that a lot of people defend no matter what.  I think for some Benning loyalists it has to do with that he traded for Sutter then gave him that contract, so he's gotta be defended.  I mean Vey gets defended still so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. 

You're right that you do need someone to take on defensive responsibilities, I think you can get for less than $4,375,000.  Manny Malhotra was a way better faceoff guy / penalty killer for half the price.  We're already paying another forward $6,000,000/year to take on defensive responsibilities and not score.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I guess the Vegas Knights should all be traded next year so that the team can sign 23 UFA's next year. :lol: Some peoples kids.:rolleyes:

It’s funny you bring up the Golden Knights. As they traded their 1rst round pick along with two 2nd rounders to add to their roster for the playoff push. Tomas Tatar ring a bell.

Guys it’s what playoff teams do. At the start of the year you spend to the cap come trade deadline you get that extra edge because you can manipulate the cap because contracts are prorated.

Teams in the playoffs add and teams out of the playoffs sell at a PREMIUM! Other teams are selling and bottom dweller Canucks hold onto everybody like they’re 20 year old stars.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

I didn't say he was the biggest worry.  Just puzzled how Edler has a good season and he's still a whipping boy on CDC.  Yet Sutter has yet another bad season and he's one of the players that a lot of people defend no matter what.  I think for some Benning loyalists it has to do with that he traded for Sutter then gave him that contract, so he's gotta be defended.  I mean Vey gets defended still so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. 

You're right that you do need someone to take on defensive responsibilities, I think you can get for less than $4,375,000.  Manny Malhotra was a way better faceoff guy / penalty killer for half the price.  We're already paying another forward $6,000,000/year to take on defensive responsibilities and not score.

I will give you that Sutter may be a bit overpaid. He did sign off on his prime earning years though. I wish we were a more competitive team or even in the playoffs. I think his skill set would be more utilized and on display. I admire guys that eat the non glory minutes.

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

I will give you that Sutter may be a bit overpaid. He did sign off on his prime earning years though. I wish we were a more competitive team or even in the playoffs. I think his skill set would be more utilized and on display. I admire guys that eat the non glory minutes.

Sutter at his current age  is a guy to help you in playoff hockey right now .... Unfortunately the Canucks are not a playoff team. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Nope, finding it funny the people who don't have a clue about what makes players valuable beyond 'pointz', and loving the irony that so many teams were allegedly interested.  It's quite humourous actually how they're always shown to be wrong and their complaining irrational.

I found your selective response laughable as well.

Sutter is a friend of the Canucks and their fans.......Botchford is a tool, a fool and an enemy of tis organization.

Do not ever, under any circumstances believe anything that Buttford writes.

Archived