The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks turned down offers on Sutter (Sticking with the plan)

Rush17

It was reported by Jason Botchford that the Vancouver Canucks turned down trade offers from 4 teams on Brandon Sutter last season.  The teams apparently called every day for a week to try and pry him from Vancouver.  Jim and Trevor held their ground though and protected our foundational player in Brandon Sutter.  If they knew the likelyhood of the the Sedin twins leaving it only makes sense why they opted to keep him.  Brandon Sutter is a valuable member of our leadership group and a key defensive center on our team.  This could just be wild speculation from Botchfords end but it was believed San Jose, Anaheim, and Las Angeles all made calls to acquire Sutter for their playoff push.  I personally do not see Anaheim being a team willing to add a player of Sutter's worth but I certainly see San Jose and Las Angeles showing interest.  

I debated whether or not to give this topic any day of light.  But I think its a valuable one to share if it is true.  Jim and Trevor in my honest opinion made the right call.  With the Sedin twins hanging up their skates it leaves a big leadership and experience void on our club.  By keeping Brandon Sutter it shows this team is determined to follow a plan "their plan" to add quality veterans and build around those pieces until they are eventually expendable.  Brandon Sutter has proven time and time again he is a clutch scorer and a good defensive player.  He, unfortunately, has been largely overmatched being put in tough situations since his arrival but he has done his best to support this team and his teammates.  I believe this is a good sign that our management team is sticking to their guns and following their plan even if they don't lay it out in the open for us.  I believe they do indeed have a plan and they are executing it quite well. One could argue adding more picks/prospects would have given us an edge which I somewhat agree with.  But if you look at their body of work we have to give them credit for what they have accomplished in unearthing the talents they have both in the first and later rounds.  

I believe the adding of meat and potatoes is now over.  Last draft we saw them focus on acquiring speed and skill. In my opinion, I do not believe this was due to the fact the game was getting faster but rather because that is where we are in our development.  We have already acquired our goalie and power forward of the future. Two positions that take time to develop.  Now the focus is getting those skilled players who can lead us into battle.  An argument can be made.. if you get all skill guys first you do not have the "depth" or grit you need first.  By following this timeline of getting the meat and potatoes first.. Those players, that power forward, and that goalie can all grow with the skill guys we add now who will likely make an impact around the same time as the others taken before them.  I absolutely love how we have had these guys grow together at our annual development camps.  They have battled together on and off the ice in scavengers hunts, blindfolded dodge ball and now on the ice. I look forward to seeing how this young group enters the league together over the next few seasons and we see the fruit of our scouting staffs labour pay off.

I give huge props to Jim and Trevor for standing pat and following the plan.  Without guys like Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, and Eriksson this team would be in a much darker place.  By holding on to these assets they can provide locker room leadership and groom the kids for their eventual rise to the top of the league.  Also wanted to say.. Have fun in the final Vegas fans!  It has been a hell of year.  I will feel sorry for you if you win it.  This struggle is what brings us together and gives us the burning desire to see this team compete and improve.  I for one would much rather go through some hard years before being gifted a cup appearance even though it would be very nice. :)  Elias Pettersson, Jonathan Dahlen, Olli Juolevi and Lucas Jasek are all going to have a great opportunity next season.  Let's hope we can find another quality guy to join forces our stars of tomorrow and get that fire of hope burning a little bit brighter!

Go Canucks Go!

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I give huge props to Jim and Trevor for standing pat and following the plan.  Without guys like Sutter, Edler, Del Zotto, and Eriksson this team would be in a much darker place.  By holding on to these assets they can provide locker room leadership and groom the kids for their eventual rise to the top of the league. 

One of these names is not like the others.

If y'all thought we were garbage before, imagine us without Suttsy. Would've been absolute devastation without him for the final push and too much weight on Bo's shoulders. 

Sutter is no slouch. I agree he's a bit overpaid for his work but his quiet contribution is significant, especially with our other defensive forwards (Dorsett, Eriksson, Granlund) taking a step back and/or getting injured. 

15 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

If y'all thought we were garbage before, imagine us without Suttsy. Would've been absolute devastation without him for the final push and too much weight on Bo's shoulders. 

Sutter is no slouch. I agree he's a bit overpaid for his work but his quiet contribution is significant, especially with our other defensive forwards (Dorsett, Eriksson, Granlund) taking a step back and/or getting injured

Essentially this.  Of course, if we could acquire a lesser guy who can still be a stabilizing presence while trading Brandon to obtain a pick as well then I would've been down for that.  Given how the team hasn't been starved for cap space it makes sense to keep him, he is pretty invaluable and worth keeping.

Like every potential trade it is tough to judge if it's the right call or wrong call without knowing the key info of what the potential return would have been. If they offered garbage then of course you are right to blow them off. If they offered a massive overpayment then you are an idiot to blow them off. Sutter is a good player but not irreplaceable for the right price.

bonino and sbisa the main figures in the kesler deal , bonino ,clendenning and a 2nd rd pick for sutter, high price in hind site ,but who knew bonino would be as important to the 2 cups with pittsburg as he was . but JB is sticking to the plan. Brandon isn't as fiesty as his dad was ,but comes from very good lineage. KEEPER! .heres a quote from NHL.com       "He was an [alternate] captain in Pittsburgh and he's a leader," Benning said. "He has high-end intangibles and we're going to have some young players that are going to make our team over the next few years along with Bo Horvat, so Brandon will be the leader of that younger group."

Sutter had a better year this year than previous.  It would depend on the offers for Sutter as to what my feelings are about keeping him.  I think he is useful in that he can be thrown into a lot of tough situations you don't necessarily want to put the younger guys into.  I just don't really think he is as good as advertised and is overpaid.

Makes good coin for the numbers but is also a solid contributor defensively. Played some real solid minutes in a shut-down role when injuries were piled up and helped keep us competitive. What were the offers? Obviously not enough.

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Outside of the obvious ones like Horvat or Boeser, there shouldn't be any untouchables on the roster this past season *if the price is right*.

I guess your right if your NOT trying to BUILD a team that can compete and fight for each other. Like who needs an experienced center man with pedigree and can play in multiple situations who has a lot of character. :lol:

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Shows the value that a player like Sutter has around the league. Take note, CDC.

Shows Jim and Trev aren't willing to break this team down properly by adding younger core components.....

A  currently 29 yr old defensive centre ( missed combined 80 games due to injury over the last 3 seasons ) really will not be a part of our next clubs core. 

League is getting younger.   I would prefer to have a  3 C that is tougher to play against then Sutter...

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Shows Jim and Trev aren't willing to break this team down properly by adding younger core components.....

A  currently 29 yr old defensive centre ( missed combined 80 games due to injury over the last 3 seasons ) really will not be a part of our next clubs core. 

League is getting younger.  

"Next clubs core"? Is there something wrong with the one we are currently building? :lol:

Management needs to go to RBC  for investment training.  Any good GMs in the league knows how to buy low and sell high.  I don't think Sutter's value can get any higher.  There are plenty of good 3rd liner centers.  What is the point of investing, when you don't cash out. 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you are investing in your house, and never sell your house you still had a place to live in.

Some canuck fans dream of seeing the canucks compete for a playoff spot ..... other canuck fans want to see a stanley cup ..

Archived