The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

On a side note, I really don't understand how Zadina rates higher than Pettersson. 

Shiny new toy syndrome.  No matter how good Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are I fully expect Pettersson, Mittelstadt and Tolvanen to be miles ahead of them with an extra year of development under their belts.

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Philosophy class here!

Gaylord is a first name,

Gay is short for Gaylord;

Richard is a surname,

Dick is short for Richard; 

Therefore, it's entirely plausible to have a name like Gay Dick!!!

True story. 

I went to high school with a family with the last name of Dyck (dick). Brother and sister Mia Dyckand Randy Dyck. Mia was teased horribly. Until Austin Powers came out and then Randy, who always went by Randy Dyck  has his life turned upside down. 

They also had uncles named Dick Dyck and Hugh Dyck.  No word of a lie. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Philosophy class here!

Gaylord is a first name,

Gay is short for Gaylord;

Richard is a surname,

Dick is short for Richard; 

Therefore, it's entirely plausible to have a name like Gay Dick!!!

Best Randy Dyck story. He started dating this really cute girl named Lisa who had Cockney parents. Lisa also had a mean sense of humour. One day Randy called her house and her dad answered.  ‘Is Lisa there?” asked Randy.

’no, may I ask who is calling?’ Answered Lisa’s dad.  

‘Just tell her that Randy Dyck called.”   

Lisa’s dad lost it... ‘THAT BETTER BE YOUR REAL SONNY, I WILL GET MY SHOTGUN IF IT ISNT!!!!!”  

Randy, not understanding what had just happened, hung up the phone quickly. Lisa laughted her ass off telling me that story 5 years later.  

Poor Randy until that moment did not realize that he was essentially named Horny Penis.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Shiny new toy syndrome.  No matter how good Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are I fully expect Pettersson, Mittelstadt and Tolvanen to be miles ahead of them with an extra year of development under their belts.

Would you have said Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl would've been miles ahead of McDavid when he was drafted because they had an extra year of development? Sometimes some players are just better than other regardless of age or length of development time.

With that said, who cares what anyone says or ranks our prospects. It's like the "concensus" draft rankings every year, it's never how the draft goes and almost never right about who becomes the better player in the end for the most part. There seems to be some insecurity whenever our players/prospects aren't deemed the best. Let our guys prove them wrong or maybe they're simply not wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Dose any of our more informed members know when the cut-off date for when Quinn has to commit to U of M?  It would be helpful to know in reference to when he needs to sign by.  :)

His classes start September 4th, so theoretically that is the deadline. The UMich hockey team probably has practices before then, but they wouldn't be mandatory to maintain his eligibility. 

http://ro.umich.edu/calendar/fa18.php

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Would you have said Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl would've been miles ahead of McDavid when he was drafted because they had an extra year of development? Sometimes some players are just better than other regardless of age or length of development time.

Sure there are exceptional players who are simply better than more developed prospects.  But Svech and Zadina are not those guys.  They have nothing close to the record-breaking cred of Pettersson and Tolvanen.  Dahlin may truly be something special but as a defensemen he'll struggle to catch attention when rookie forwards start scoring 3x as many points as him.

2 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Sure there are exceptional players who are simply better than more developed prospects.  But Svech and Zadina are not those guys.  They have nothing close to the record-breaking cred of Pettersson and Tolvanen.  Dahlin may truly be something special but as a defensemen he'll struggle to catch attention when rookie forwards start scoring 3x as many points as him.

I'd say Svech is in that neighborhood.  If not for injuries, he likely would have seriously challenged for 1st OA

18 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Homer goggles would be to say pettersson is ahead of Dahlin. 

Being realistic about pettersson is to understand he will more likely than not be one of the best Swedish forwards of all time. Maybe it all comes crashing down, but good chance his name will be remembered along guys like sundin, foresberg, the Sedins, zetterberg, etc. Even if he does not live up to the heights he is currently on pace for, he will still develop into a very good top 6 forward in the NHL. 

NHL sleeps on pettersson because the only hockey he has ever played on North American Ice was the wjc this year. Even though it was some of his worst hockey if the season, he still looked really good so most fans understand he has talent. They just don’t realize how much. 

And and I just want to be clear that I am being as objective as possible with my views on pettersson’s future. I honestly believe that he is the 2nd best prospect in the world right now, and if Dahlin wasn’t  out being the greatest D prospect of all time, pettersson would be number one. 

Maybe let him play a few games before you induct  him into the hall of fame 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Capajoe said:

Really weird thing to pick up on... but why are the Sedins the only name capitalized?

Lol it was actually auto correct on my phone. I’ve written Sedins a lot so it knows to correct it to a proper noun

20 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Maybe let him play a few games before you induct  him into the hall of fame 

Me saying pettersson has a realistic chance to become and all time great is very, very different than saying he is an all time great. 

20 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Homer goggles would be to say pettersson is ahead of Dahlin. 

Being realistic about pettersson is to understand he will more likely than not be one of the best Swedish forwards of all time. Maybe it all comes crashing down, but good chance his name will be remembered along guys like sundin, foresberg, the Sedins, zetterberg, etc. Even if he does not live up to the heights he is currently on pace for, he will still develop into a very good top 6 forward in the NHL. 

NHL sleeps on pettersson because the only hockey he has ever played on North American Ice was the wjc this year. Even though it was some of his worst hockey if the season, he still looked really good so most fans understand he has talent. They just don’t realize how much. 

And and I just want to be clear that I am being as objective as possible with my views on pettersson’s future. I honestly believe that he is the 2nd best prospect in the world right now, and if Dahlin wasn’t  out being the greatest D prospect of all time, pettersson would be number one. 

yeesh. simmer down there, fella.