The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, tas said:

yeesh. simmer down there, fella.

Okay. Just show me one 17 yr old defensemen who has ever had a season comparable to Dahlin last year. Just one, in any era, that performed as well as Dahlin did this year 

16 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Okay. Just show me one 17 yr old defensemen who has ever had a season comparable to Dahlin last year. Just one, in any era, that performed as well as Dahlin did this year 

bobby-orr-1977-35.jpg

and it's not even close. 

edit: hell, he had better 15, 16, AND 17 year old years than dahlin's season this year. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Shiny new toy syndrome.  No matter how good Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are I fully expect Pettersson, Mittelstadt and Tolvanen to be miles ahead of them with an extra year of development under their belts.

Don't forget Heiskanen.  I think he'll be turning some heads in the calder race this year.  I think he has a chance to beat Dahlin for the best rookie defenseman this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Let him go to Michigan you fools!   He’s only gonna get stronger physically and be more readily available to turn pro at years (college) end. He can join the team at the end of the season like Boeser did. What’s wrong with that?

Maybe Quinn would rather be playing in the NHL than back in Michigan?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Let him go to Michigan you fools!   He’s only gonna get stronger physically and be more readily available to turn pro at years (college) end. He can join the team at the end of the season like Boeser did. What’s wrong with that?

It burns a year of ELC for a few games in the pros.  He will get stronger wherever he plays.

WIth his brother no longer going to college, I kind of favour the go pro route, will be happy with either.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone feeling the longer this goes, the more likely he's going to College one more year? 

No I think the opposite. Benning and Co. want to see Hughes play at the Canucks training camp. If Canucks thought he might be college bound they would have told him to sign with Michigan. 

A lot of decisions will need to be made at camp and a lot of it has to do with how prepared our players are during camp. 

This is the first time in a long time that we have to depth to force good competition for a lot of spots on the team. Whoever deserves to be on the team will be on the team.

Hughes will not be gifted anything but IMO he will sign with Vancouver and spend the season between Utica and Vancouver. Also he will be a big part of Utica winning the Calder Cup 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

No I think the opposite. Benning and Co. want to see Hughes play at the Canucks training camp. If Canucks thought he might be college bound they would have told him to sign with Michigan. 

A lot of decisions will need to be made at camp and a lot of it has to do with how prepared our players are during camp. 

This is the first time in a long time that we have to depth to force good competition for a lot of spots on the team. Whoever deserves to be on the team will be on the team.

Hughes will not be gifted anything but IMO he will sign with Vancouver and spend the season between Utica and Vancouver. Also he will be a big part of VANCOUVER winning the STANLEY Cup 

I agree with almost all here.  I changed a bit. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

As your post has nothing to do with Quinn Hughes, it felt like I should answer your challenge.   Here goes:

Billy Wright

billy-in-wolves-strip.png
Date Of Birth  : 6 February 1924
Nation : England, Caps  : 105 Games
Height : 180 cm, Position : Center-Back
Major Club :  Wolvehampton Wanderers
World Cup Participation : 1950, 1954, 1958 (10 Games)
Club Honours : 3 Times English Top Division1 Time FA Cup
International Honours : None
Individual Achievement : 1952 FWA Footballer Of The Year
3 Times European Defender of The Year (1956, 1957, 1958)
1957 Silver Ball European Footballer Of The Year
1959 Order of The British Empire
English Football Hall Of Fame

Billy Wright is one of the great legends in history of British football, is the best defender in the Europe during the 1950s and perhaps of all-time. He signed as professional at 17 years old and then became the first football player in the world to earn 100 caps.  He likely had the best 17-year old season of any player, in any sport in the history of teenagers playing professionally.  Wright was a central defender and a captain of England national team through decade of 1950s. He was the most popular player for English’s football fan during his era with his profession and reliability of football playing. Wright was a master of timing both in terms of beating taller players to headers and winning the ball in strong tackles. He also had a remarkable reading of the game, able to break up attackers with almost telepathic interception and launch quick break upfield. He made 541 appearances to Wolvehampton and regarded as club’s greatest player ever, Specialty, A statue of him was erected beside Wolves' Molineux Stadium in memory of him in 1996, three years after the completion of a stand at the stadium named in honour of him. He is rated by many as the second greatest defender of England only to Bobby Moore. Wright also finished 9th and 6th place Ballon'Dor in 1956 and 1958 respectively.