The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn is oozing personality and maturity right now whereas Miller and Petey have really taken a step back. Good to see Quinn take the leadership naturally. From a quiet little guy to a leader amongst his family of super stars and now IMO leader of this team, he's got to be the captain, whether it's this year or the next.

3 years ago we'd say it'd be Bo forever.

Then Miller.

Then Petey.

Now it's unanimously Hughes.

• Cheers 1

On 8/25/2023 at 1:03 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Quinn is oozing personality and maturity right now whereas Miller and Petey have really taken a step back. Good to see Quinn take the leadership naturally. From a quiet little guy to a leader amongst his family of super stars and now IMO leader of this team, he's got to be the captain, whether it's this year or the next.

3 years ago we'd say it'd be Bo forever.

Then Miller.

Then Petey.

Now it's unanimously Hughes.

I don’t think it’s unanimous, but you can make a very good case for him being captain.

6 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I don’t think it’s unanimous, but you can make a very good case for him being captain.

I think he'd make a great captain because he says meaningful things in a measured and thoughtful way. Anyone can step in front of cameras and speak a bunch of platitudes and token hockey phrases that convey basically no meaning and leave you scratching your head (paraphrasing one Sedin quote: "We're not winning because guys are scoring, guys are scoring because we're winning, and that's fun."...like...huh?). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dougieL said:

I think he'd make a great captain because he says meaningful things in a measured and thoughtful way. Anyone can step in front of cameras and speak a bunch of platitudes and token hockey phrases that convey basically no meaning and leave you scratching your head (paraphrasing one Sedin quote: "We're not winning because guys are scoring, guys are scoring because we're winning, and that's fun."...like...huh?). 

I completely agree. I’m just saying it’s not unanimous. Some people would prefer Miller or Pettersson as captain.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I completely agree. I’m just saying it’s not unanimous. Some people would prefer Miller or Pettersson as captain.

It certainly isn't unanimous among the fans, but it appears that Tocc wants Hughes, which is a huge

advantage for Captain Quinn.

• There it is 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:10 AM, higgyfan said:

It certainly isn't unanimous among the fans, but it appears that Tocc wants Hughes, which is a huge

advantage for Captain Quinn.

I don't think Petey want to be Captain the language barrier with interviews . Pettersson is fine with the big "A" and not having to deal with media regularly..

Miller  - Can fly off the handle and everyone has witnessed his behaviour --Good with big "A" on his jersey.

Quinn Hughes, so well spoken and leads by example every shift he shows leadership.The right choice for new captain. 

I am thinking Sedins with present Hughes with a  new Jesey on home opener # 34 - Hughes -- "C"

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I don't think Petey want to be Captain the language barrier with interviews . Pettersson is fine with the big "A" and not having to deal with media regularly..

Miller  - Can fly off the handle and everyone has witnessed his behaviour --Good with big "A" on his jersey.

Quinn Hughes, so well spoken and leads by example every shift he shows leadership.The right choice for new captain. 

I am thinking Sedins with present Hughes with a  new Jesey on home opener # 34 - Hughes -- "C"

Why would he change his number?

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Why would he change his number?

Isn’t it obvious?  
34 is 33 +1

it is also

22 + 12

That is both Sedin’s, Smyle AND Lou.  
It is the ultimate Canucks captain number.
It’s also 16 + 18.  18 is almost 19.
So it’s basically Linden plus Naslund.  

• Like 1

Quinn Hughes is my favorite player in the NHL, and probably my favorite Canuck of all time. I really hate to bring this up, but it has been nagging at me (and I'm sure others) ever since Luke got drafted by NJ.

Does anyone see any chance that he will stay with the Canucks beyond his current contract? I am not questioning Hughes' loyalty to the Canucks, but the simple logic of the circumstances makes it seem quite unlikely. I mean, to get the chance to lift the Cup with your two brothers - how many people in the history of the NHL have even been able to entertain such a thought? Wouldn't he naturally want to maximize the number of seasons over which they get to do that?

If you think it is unlikely that he stays beyond the current contract, at what point do we need to start thinking about moving him? If we wait too long, the list of interested teams not named NJ may start to dwindle, as would his value (simply given the likelihood of him having at least some desire to join his brothers in NJ if given the chance).

Again, Hughes is my favorite player and I'd be heartbroken to see him leave. I'm not trying to fan flames here. I'm genuinely curious how you think this will all shake out.

Edited by dougieL

18 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Quinn Hughes is my favorite player in the NHL, and probably my favorite Canuck of all time. I really hate to bring this up, but it has been nagging at me (and I'm sure others) ever since Luke got drafted by NJ.

Does anyone see any chance that he will stay with the Canucks beyond his current contract? I am not questioning Hughes' loyalty to the Canucks, but the simple logic of the circumstances makes it seem quite unlikely. I mean, to get the chance to lift the Cup with your two brothers - how many people in the history of the NHL have even been able to entertain such a thought? Wouldn't he naturally want to maximize the number of seasons over which they get to do that?

If you think it is unlikely that he stays beyond the current contract, at what point do we need to start thinking about moving him? If we wait too long, the list of interested teams not named NJ may start to dwindle, as would his value (simply given the likelihood of him having at least some desire to join his brothers in NJ if given the chance).

Again, Hughes is my favorite player and I'd be heartbroken to see him leave. I'm not trying to fan flames here. I'm genuinely curious how you think this will all shake out.

It’s far more likely the other two brothers come here. Jersey is a hole, and no one cares about hockey. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s far more likely the other two brothers come here. Jersey is a hole, and no one cares about hockey. 

Or EP-D becomes a stud D man for us,same as Hirose and NJD way over pay for QH and we become cup winners with a big trade.

I can dream lol.

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well Jack's contract goes until 2030, whereas Quinn's only goes until 2027. And having two players under contract move to Vancouver is much more difficult than just having a UFA sign with NJ.

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Or EP-D becomes a stud D man for us,same as Hirose and NJD way over pay for QH and we become cup winners with a big trade.

I can dream lol.

The thing is, NJ is unlikely to overpay for Quinn Hughes knowing that he'd sign there as a UFA anyway. They only value they'd get for trading for him would be the additional year or two (depending on when/if such a trade would happen), which is why I believe there should be some sense of urgency for the Canucks to address this. 

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

The thing is, NJ is unlikely to overpay for Quinn Hughes knowing that he'd sign there as a UFA anyway. They only value they'd get for trading for him would be the additional year or two (depending on when/if such a trade would happen), which is why I believe there should be some sense of urgency for the Canucks to address this. 

With the cap going up we don't know what a GM will do and my bet is if NJD have the chance to trade for QH they would.