The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, plus Hughes going to the Worlds (and looking really good at that level). Compared age-to-age (February versus October birthdays and one birthyear apart), they've put up pretty similar numbers at the same levels. And Fox has a more powerful shot. But where Hughes truly separates is his skating and puck skills. Fox is by no means a slouch in either of these areas (they're both strengths for him), but Hughes is just on another level. Hughes could probably step into an NHL lineup today and be the best skater on the team and one of the best puck handlers as well. He's just that good.

but there is no hockey today

i checked all the possible schedules .. darn  :P

do we really have to wait till training camp

i hear there is a july local event he will attend

$10 buck tickets.. seems like a destination for all committed cdc canuck supporters

hughes needs to get flames painted on the sides of his skates

like the ones on some muscle cars

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I can hear Kathy McLlwain now with a Sam Hallam inspired quote:

“I haven’t taught Quinn Hughes anything about skating. He’s teaching me.” ;) 

or maybe she might say

i gave him a few pointers

and now he is melting the ice with his speed  :o

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think much like when Bure first stepped onto the ice it was so glaring that he was head and shoulders better than everyone else on the ice.  Something very similar will happen when Quinn Hughes steps on the ice.  He will assert himself as our best defencman on just pure raw talent alone.  It will be glaringly obvious to anyone watching who our best defencman is.  

When Hughes flys out from behind the net like he was launched out of a cannon he will bring people out of their seats like Bure did.   

well it would be nice if you were in fact right

but then ask yourself

wouldn't other scouts have noticed that as well

and then wouldn't things about his stock and draft placement been clearer (there exists a lot of debate over who was the 2nd best dman in this draft)

it's nice to dream though ...

but bure was extra special.. and many teams objected to the canucks stealth drafting of him

as they knew how good he really was

43 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well it would be nice if you were in fact right

but then ask yourself

wouldn't other scouts have noticed that as well

and then wouldn't things about his stock and draft placement been clearer (there exists a lot of debate over who was the 2nd best dman in this draft)

it's nice to dream though ...

but bure was extra special.. and many teams objected to the canucks stealth drafting of him

as they knew how good he really was

They did notice, that’s why he was rated as high as third or fourth, right next to Zedina by many scouts.  But there are still many dinosaurs in the NHL, GMs like Brian Burke whom would look at his height 5’10 and looked no further.  But you’ll see. I guess if you’re 5’10 and a forward it’s ok,  but if your 5’10 and a defencemen it’s not ok.  The game is changing, I’m just happy the Canucks are catching the trend rather than always chasing the trend. Always several steps back from the Detroit’s and the Chicago’s due to dinosaur type thinking. (Players at certain positions need to be within a cookie cutter template)   Those days are behind us. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

They did notice, that’s why he was rated as high as third or fourth, right next to Zedina by many scouts.  But there are still many dinosaurs in the NHL, GMs like Brian Burke whom would look at his height 5’10 and looked no further.  But you’ll see. I guess if you’re 5’10 and a forward it’s ok,  but if your 5’10 and a defencemen it’s not ok.  The game is changing, I’m just happy the Canucks are catching the trend rather than always chasing the trend. Always several steps back from the Detroit’s and the Chicago’s due to dinosaur type thinking. (Players at certain positions need to be within a cookie cutter template)   Those days are behind us. 

you missed my point

or simply chose to ignore it

there is debate over the 2nd best overall dman

seriously

and it is not simply due to dinosaur mentality

respected scouts and pundits were less clear about this

then you seem to accept

bure was obvious

hughes is less so

and believe me

i'll be entirely and over the moon happy to be wrong about this

i saw bure very early on

and his superstar talent was obvious from the get go 

you did not need to be a scout

or have much hockey knowledge to see

that he was better then anyone else on the ice

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you missed my point

or simply chose to ignore it

there is debate over the 2nd best overall dman

seriously

and it is not simply due to dinosaur mentality

respected scouts and pundits were less clear about this

then you seem to accept

bure was obvious

hughes is less so

and believe me

i'll be entirely and over the moon happy to be wrong about this

i saw bure very early on

and his superstar talent was obvious from the get go 

you did not need to be a scout

or have much hockey knowledge to see

that he was better then anyone else on the ice

There were 4 defencemen after Dahlin that could have gone in the first round.  Boqvist was touted as an early pick in December and January, some had him in the top 4 but his stock dropped because scouts noticed his intensity and determination waivered when he was put under pressure..  I tried to answer your questions but I don’t think i need to address every single one of your musings.  

Edited by Pure961089

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

There were 4 defencemen after Dahlin that could have gone in the first round.  Boqvist was touted as an early pick in December and January, some had him in the top 4 but his stock dropped because scouts noticed his intensity and determination waivered when he was put under pressure..  I tried to answer your questions but I don’t think i need to address every single one of your musings.  I did notice that you addressed none of my points though.  But you don’t have to, I’m a big boy.  

please let me know what points i missed then

i saw burke

dinosaurs

i responded to them

wasn't the main point you were making though 

was comparing him to bure ?

i don't agree

but won't repeat my reasons

cuz i'm a big boy as well and don't need to be redundant

Another reaso

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

please let me know what points i missed then

i saw burke

dinosaurs

i responded to them

wasn't the main point you were making though 

was comparing him to bure ?

i don't agree

but won't repeat my reasons

cuz i'm a big boy as well and don't need to be redundant

You must have only seen the rankings where Hughes was 8th or 9th but there were plenty that had him in their top 4.   I don’t get on this message board to argue with people, but when I state an opinion it doesn’t need to be belittled.  My opinions are just as valid as yours.  We can agree to disagree without being rude.  I said something I thought was universally agreed upon, that there were still many dinosaurs in the NHL and you swatted it away as nonsense.  But it’s ok.  

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Another reaso

You must have only seen the rankings where Hughes was 8th or 9th but there were plenty that had him in their top 4.   I don’t get on this message board to argue with people, but when I state an opinion it doesn’t need to be belittled.  My opinions are just as valid as yours.  We can agree to disagree without being rude.  I said something I thought was universally agreed upon, that there were still many dinosaurs in the NHL and you swatted it away as nonsense.  But it’s ok.  

well sorry to break it to you

but that was exactly my point

there were mixed rankings on him

but please take your woe is me mentality

and my feelings are so easily hurt

and please do not respond any longer

it's just so weak

Edited by coastal.view

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No to the bolded. Dahlin was and is the top prospect hands down as every scout agreed. 

I am saying if he was forward he would have been first and by next year he will be the # 1 in a re-draft. But hey its my opinion becomes fact. Kinda said that about Petterson also and its looking good now. If I am 2 for 2 or even if its close and a argument the Canucks win. 

18 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

There were 4 defencemen after Dahlin that could have gone in the first round.  Boqvist was touted as an early pick in December and January, some had him in the top 4 but his stock dropped because scouts noticed his intensity and determination waivered when he was put under pressure..  I tried to answer your questions but I don’t think i need to address every single one of your musings.  

Pretty hard not to notice that Dhalin lit it up the second half of the year and got better as the season progressed. And just like the first overall pick he was playing against men. Unlike the first over all pick  Hughes put up better numbers against men. And in the new NHL Hughes will always be fast. Canucks got the best offensive defenseman in this years draft.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I am saying if he was forward he would have been first and by next year he will be the # 1 in a re-draft. But hey its my opinion becomes fact. Kinda said that about Petterson also and its looking good now. If I am 2 for 2 or even if its close and a argument the Canucks win. 

Deleted my response. Your post makes no sense.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

44 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well sorry to break it to you

but that was exactly my point

there were mixed rankings on him

but please take your woe is me mentality

and my feelings are so easily hurt

and please do not respond any longer

it's just so weak

And you proved my point.  Some people are looking for fights, others are looking for debates.  You can’t seem to have a debate with me without turning it into something ugly.  If you want a civil debate come at be Bro.  If you just want to fight for the sake of fighting than I’ll pass.

• Upvote 2

I'm curious to see how Quinn will do. 

He can definitely rush the puck up ice or pass it up ice. He's also great at defending the rush. 

The challenge will be when the puck gets hemmed in his zone. 

2 things I notice is that even in NCAA, he doesn't really push the forward away from the net. This could be a problem with bigger stronger NHL forwards that will camp out in front of the crease banging at rebounds. I expect he will initially be responsible for some goals against and wonder how he will adjust to that. 

2nd thing is that when forwards shield the puck, he doesn't really have any options. He will need to wait until the forwards spin off and make a move towards the net and expose the puck but until that happens, there really won't be a chance to win the puck back. 

Quinn is a smart player and I'm sure he will look at guys like Stech and the smaller successful dmen like Rafalski to see how they defend. 

Still can’t believe we landed Quinn at 7, that’s some serious luck.

He’s going to be such calming force on our future d-core. The type of player thatll make players around him better and bring a level swagger that has been missing in this franchise since the Bure era. Along with all the other promising prospects in the pipeline we may just be approaching the pinnacle of Canucks hockey. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Still can’t believe we landed Quinn at 7, that’s some serious luck.

He’s going to be such calming force on our future d-core. The type of player thatll make players around him better and bring a level swagger that has been missing in this franchise since the Bure era. Along with all the other promising prospects in the pipeline we may just be approaching the pinnacle of Canucks hockey. 

In five years there will be six teams’ fans asking why in the hell their teams passed on Quinn Hughes.  Time will show this is back to back years JB gets the best player.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

Hughes18 had a better year in college then Cale Makar 19...Like Hughes better then Makar...

Okay thanks, 

I'm just trying to find comparable players. Markar seems like a better match than Fox. 

Edited by SpennyCanuck

11 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Did you mean in the top 10?  There were 14 D men drafted in the first round.