The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not?  Clearly the new management sees Woo's path to our big club as a fourth line sandpaper, PK kind of guy.  We need those players too. 

4th line support players are a dime a dozen. Top 4 RHD are almost impossible to come by these days. If there's even a sliver of a chance woo can develop into one, then that's the path that should be taken.

Here's a look at the 4th line contributors we've acquired recently for next to nothing

Lockwood

Motte

Lammiko

Highmore

Richardson

Podkolzin (kinda)

Here's a look at the top4 rhd we've acquired recently for next to nothing

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not?  Clearly the new management sees Woo's path to our big club as a fourth line sandpaper, PK kind of guy.  We need those players too. 

That should only be done as a last resort - it's not hard to find 4th line players but much harder to find RHD. Also,here did you read that they see his path as a fourth line player? What I've heard from the coach is that they still want him to keep improving as a D-man and Jett playing forward was a temporary step to helping him improve.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

That should only be done as a last resort - it's not hard to find 4th line players but much harder to find RHD. Also,here did you read that they see his path as a fourth line player? What I've heard from the coach is that they still want him to keep improving as a D-man and Jett playing forward was a temporary step to helping him improve.

I think the club sees this move to forward as a last resort for Woo.  They don't see him as an NHL Dman.  So, as a last resort, they are trying him in a fourth line role.  

14 hours ago, lmm said:

I see you are getting some flack for this post

but

it is Jim Benning we are talking about

maybe he didn't draft him because his name was Jett

rather because his name is Woo

and it would sound really cool when they anounce a goal followed by the "WOOOO"

Sadly that ain't going to happen. He' yet another case of fans falling in love with a prospect. I can say this I scouted for a US Uni, low level it was as much about getting BC kids a scholarship. But this much i know you're at a tournement all day and you're sitting with scouting package having a coffee just browsing. For my part I was often intrigued by a name, as in  wow look at that name and sure enough you look for the kid naturally in the game, really it's a distraction more than any thing. As to the Flak keep it coming I got lots about Virtanen and Juolevi, but get I got the last laugh

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

4th line support players are a dime a dozen. Top 4 RHD are almost impossible to come by these days. If there's even a sliver of a chance woo can develop into one, then that's the path that should be taken.

Here's a look at the 4th line contributors we've acquired recently for next to nothing

Lockwood

Motte

Lammiko

Highmore

Richardson

Podkolzin (kinda)

Here's a look at the top4 rhd we've acquired recently for next to nothing

What you say istrue

however

I am having trouble with the concept that the Canucks next top 4 rhd could make the top 6 in Abby

Here is a list of top 4 rhd that did not pan out as hoped

Myers

Hamonic

Schmidt

Gudbranson

Poolman

where do you see Woo fitting on that list?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

What you say istrue

however

I am having trouble with the concept that the Canucks next top 4 rhd could make the top 6 in Abby

Here is a list of top 4 rhd that did not pan out as hoped

Myers

Hamonic

Schmidt

Gudbranson

Poolman

where do you see Woo fitting on that list?

Never said I did.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think the club sees this move to forward as a last resort for Woo.  They don't see him as an NHL Dman.  So, as a last resort, they are trying him in a fourth line role.  

Cull is on record recently of saying he and the organization see him as a defenseman. They said he needs to figure out "what he will be" in terms of style, a 2 way dman, a stay at home physical player, but he has the tools and they still see him in their plans on D. Where are you getting this "they don't see him as an NHL dman" from?

Bailey got hurt, the team they were playing was very physical and Cull felt they needed some size and forecheck upfront. He basically needed Woo to fill an important role because they lost Bailey and didn't have someone who plays that hard of a game to fill the role other than Woo - its not about "Not a nhl defenseman". The jury is still out on that.

https://www.theprogress.com/sports/abbotsford-canucks-head-coach-trent-cull-reflects-on-inaugural-season/

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

At some point the Woo brigade will need to acknowledge he isn't the player management has hoped for. You can't get so attached, clubs get over so must the fans

We need to do the opposite of what Benning did.  Identify early, while a prospect still has value, and trade them.  Vey and Baer cost us seconds.  Don’t know what Woo is worth, but it is likely time to move him.  We might have actually missed any chance at getting value for him.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need to do the opposite of what Benning did.  Identify early, while a prospect still has value, and trade them.  Vey and Baer cost us seconds.  Don’t know what Woo is worth, but it is likely time to move him.  We might have actually missed any chance at getting value for him.  

Problem is then you let go of players like..... Forsling.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Problem is then you let go of players like..... Forsling.

And that’s where management must be better.  Plus, Forsling was another Benning move where he traded a very young asset for one already completed their development.  It is fine to make a mistake on Forsling providing the return is a second round pick.  Benning has the wrong philosophy.  

Woo needs to go.  Use him as sugar to dumperoo Pearson.  

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that’s where management must be better.  Plus, Forsling was another Benning move where he traded a very young asset for one already completed their development.  It is fine to make a mistake on Forsling providing the return is a second round pick.  Benning has the wrong philosophy.  

Woo needs to go.  Use him as sugar to dumperoo Pearson.  

Forsling was strange to me. He certainly was a later developer. But he need a coach/team to bring out his skill. I recall when he was in the WJC. he was the go to man for Sweden, late in the game, PP, PK. I thought Glandenning must be some thing special to lure him out of town, he wasn't ! I'm glad he's doing well in Florida. Frankly although we didn't understand then it was a harbinger of things to come

Edited by Fred65
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Forsling was strange to me. He certainly was a later developer. But he need a coach/team to bring out his skill. I recall when he was in the WJC. he was the go to man for Sweden, late in the game, PP, PK. I thought Glandenning must be some thing special to lure him out of town, he wasn't ! I'm glad he's doing well in Florida. Frankly although we didn't understand then it was a harbinger of things to come

I think the Vey trade was the harbinger

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

At some point the Woo brigade will need to acknowledge he isn't the player management has hoped for. You can't get so attached, clubs get over so must the fans

I hate to bring this up, but you know its the Neely trade

that left such a scar on the Canuck fans' psyche

Never mind we did good on the Naslund and Bertuzzi deals

Canuck fans just want to be sure, so, so, so sure the pick won't pan out for somebody else

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, lmm said:

Canuck fans just want to be sure, so, so, so sure the pick won't pan out for somebody else

Too many  fans always find hope in draft picks, to me it's a sort of cop out, the grass is always greener etc etc If you draft in the top 5/10 that's a reasonable premise, lessor spot is a hope. Neeley was a shocker and Tom Watt was the conductor :lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Too many  fans always find hope in draft picks, to me it's a sort of cop out, the grass is always greener etc etc If you draft in the top 5/10 that's a reasonable premise, lessor spot is a hope. Neeley was a shocker and Tom Watt was the conductor :lol:

Look at the number of #1 picks on the Oiler’s roster. Canucks have never had a #1 pick. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, lmm said:

How about the Derlago/Vaive trade to Toronto for Tiger/Butler? Nobody ever talks about that trade. Another trade that set the Canucks back on a long term basis (though Williams and Butler did contribute to the 1982 cup run of a sub-.500 team).

Canucks have a long history of ridding themselves of players that they've failed to develop properly. 

And getting rid of Woo at this stage without giving him the tools to develop ("dumperoo" as some dumbass is saying) would be simply repeating what this team has done historically.  You know who does that?  Mediocre organizations, which the Canucks had become under Bennng's watch.  It's time for the Canucks to be an elite organization.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2