The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Getting moved to play forward had literally nothing to do with his development. I’m sorry, but that’s a terrible take. I’m not saying Woo is ready for the NHL or anything, but to say he has been struggling and so he got moved to forward just isn’t true.

Yes, we all read (or heard) Cull 's justification .... down some forwards, Jett is a big body, skates well, hits etc, so filled a need for a 4th line energy winger.  What was left unsaid, though, was that at a time when Abby was fighting for home ice advantage, then fighting for their playoff lives, Woo was considered their 7th best D-man.  I think that's the point Wagner is making.  If he were genuinely being considered as a possible partner for, say, Hughes, or Rathbone,  he would have played top minutes  D.  He didn't.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Some people say Woo was put into forward role because he was the worst d man on the team; others say Jett was put on forward because he was the best choice to fill that role.

In all fairness, as I recall Woo was returning from an injury and during his absence Abby had gone on a 7 for 9 winning streak (or thereabouts).  So why change a winning formula by swapping out one D for another.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Getting moved to play forward had literally nothing to do with his development. I’m sorry, but that’s a terrible take. I’m not saying Woo is ready for the NHL or anything, but to say he has been struggling and so he got moved to forward just isn’t true.

I hope Woo has a bounce back season with no injuries... Woo just turned 22, still very young and has not played many games over last 2 yrs..The 2020-21 season 28 games as 20 year old, covid shortened -- 2021-22--only 42 games as 21 year old..

I sure hope Woo stays healthy  plays in top 4,  lots of ice time 19--22 mins.. Big year for his development ..

Sure the Canucks could use  a Bieska clone but what makes you so certain Woo is your guy. The art of management is not to wait until a players lack of ability is obvious to every one is seeing it. You review him you study him and if he fails you take him off the pay roll. Give some one else an opportunity

Edited by Fred65
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, Fred65 said:

Sure the Canucks could use  a Bieska clone but what makes you so certain Woo is your guy. The art of management is not to wait until a players lack of ability is obvious to every one is seeing it. You review him you study him and if he fails you take him off the pay roll. Give some one else an opportunity

I think believing the staff is more important than your continued skepticism.

• Cheers 3

On 8/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, Fred65 said:

Woo has this season to prove he’s now (or soon to be) and NHL player, whether that’s as a D or (far more likely) as a heavy bodied, defensively responsible, banger and crashed fourth liner.  If he’s not, then he will not be extended another contract with us and will become a UFA next July.  

Woo, Gadjovic, Lind are exactly why teams (especially like during our Benning years) should be collecting second and third round picks.  Most of those picks don’t work out, so it’s important to have a lot of them each draft.  

Edited by Alflives

On 8/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, Alflives said:

Woo has this season to prove he’s now (or soon to be) and NHL player, whether that’s as a D or (far more likely) as a heavy bodied, defensively responsible, banger and crashed fourth liner.  If he’s not, then he will not be extended another contract with us and will become a UFA next July.  

Woo, Gadjovic, Lind are exactly why teams (especially like during our Benning years) should be collecting second and third round picks.  Most of those picks don’t work out, so it’s important to have a lot of them each draft.  

This is true - only 11 players drafted in the second round have played more games than Gadjovich. 9 are at zero games.

6 second rounders you will like get one good player (Demko) one potentially good player who sticks around for a few years but never hits first line/starter/top pairing status  (Hoglander/Baer/Raymond), a depth player, a decent call up, and two guys who either play no games or maybe get one call up 

On 7/31/2022 at 11:50 AM, NorthWestNuck said:

But to say moving him to forward temporarily has destroyed his development is wrong too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But to say moving him to forward temporarily has destroyed his development is wrong too. 

Not sure if you’re agreeing with me or arguing with me, but I think we’re saying the same thing. Moving Woo to forward for a few games is no reason to write him off as a prospect.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Not sure if you’re agreeing with me or arguing with me, but I think we’re saying the same thing. Moving Woo to forward for a few games is no reason to write him off as a prospect.

I watched a lot of Abbotsfords games and to be honest I didn't agree with putting him at forward at all and think that media and fans are really selling him short and wrong on being negative about him.

Watching him last season I saw the same things that always had me optimistic about him thinking he could be a good Canuck one day and that was a very good all around game and some great offensive potential as well as a good physical game with some bite.

I really think Woo is going to shut the haters up moving forward and show everyone up for being foolish and being way too critical on him and not having a clue.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

I watched a lot of Abbotsfords games and to be honest I didn't agree with putting him at forward at all and think that media and fans are really selling him short and wrong on being negative about him.

Watching him last season I saw the same things that always had me optimistic about him thinking he could be a good Canuck one day and that was a very good all around game and some great offensive potential as well as a good physical game with some bite.

I really think Woo is going to shut the haters up moving forward and show everyone up for being foolish and being way too critical on him and not having a clue.

All Woo has to do is compete. Management is looking for the best RHD they can find, if that's Woo good on him, but he has to show he's up to the task, just like any player from Pee Wee to Junior

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

The coaches saw Woo as a forward. They played him there even when we were short on D.  

Clearly the Canucks see Woo as a forward if he makes the NHL.  This is his last season of waiver free.  He either makes it this year or we don’t qualify him. 

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The coaches saw Woo as a forward. They played him there even when we were short on D.  

Clearly the Canucks see Woo as a forward if he makes the NHL.  This is his last season of waiver free.  He either makes it this year or we don’t qualify him. 

From what I remember it was injuries and call ups had them short at forward and they had a surplus of defensemen so with Woo's style of game the coaches just thought he would be the best at forward over the others and maybe they also thought their best defense had the other guys there over him.

Anyway like I said watching Woo I was actually quite happy with his progress and overall game and his strong compete level and if I had to guess I'd say he's going to have a strong showing at camp and preseason and show everyone he can actually play and play well.

I guess we'll see soon camp and preseason is just around the corner sneaking up fast.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They played him on forward when they were short of forwards.

it makes zero sense to play a d man at forward if the team is short on d men. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

They played him on forward when they were short of forwards.

it makes zero sense to play a d man at forward if the team is short on d men. 

Unless the club sees Woo as a better option at forward than D.  Woo played pretty much all the games down the stretch and the playoffs as a fourth line winger.  And the club was short on D during that time.  It makes zero sense playing a guy in a role he’s not ready or able for, especially when that team was fighting to get into the playoffs.  

We will see in the first 20 games in Abby what the club sees as Woo’s role this season and beyond.