The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just checked Abbotsford stats and Woo stuck out at 0 points in 9 games. I know offense isn't his game, but it got me wondering--is he performing well defensively? This is a big year for Woo. I think if he doesn't get NHL time next year, he's probably never going to make it full time.

Hoping his defense looks better than his offense, but I've seen very little of Abbotsford so far.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's playing first pairing, is killing penalties, he's their go to guy, for keeping the puck out of the net.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Still, I think he'll need at least a few points to get NHL consideration.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think they are grooming him to be more like a Hamonic type player, but a little harder hitting.

Probably, though even guys like Hamonic can score 10-20 points at the NHL level. I'd bet that Hamonic could score 30-40 points in the AHL, so I'd like Woo to put up at least some offensive production. No doubt he won't stay at 0 points forever though. Pro-rated to 82 games he was on pace for 15 points last year in Utica, which is a strong start for a defensive D. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Probably, though even guys like Hamonic can score 10-20 points at the NHL level. I'd bet that Hamonic could score 30-40 points in the AHL, so I'd like Woo to put up at least some offensive production. No doubt he won't stay at 0 points forever though. Pro-rated to 82 games he was on pace for 15 points last year in Utica, which is a strong start for a defensive D. 

Abby hasn’t been wracking up a lot of goals. 

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think points can come later for a guy like Woo. He needs a niche on the team if he wants to make the big squad. He needs to give Green a reason to call him up and have him stay on the Canucks roster and I think worrying about points could detract from that in this specific case.

I say concentrate on being a solid defender 1st and then, only once he's on the main team, points be thought of if points are even necessary with him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

People need to eliminate the thought of Woo generating any meaningful offence at the NHL level from their minds. 

If he makes it to the NHL as a regular (and yes, that's to be determined, it's not automatic) he'll be a shut-down guy plain and simple.  He had a few seasons at various amateur levels where he put up some numbers but that was never projected to translate to the pro-level. 

If the coaches in Abby are on the same page as JB then they'll be focusing Woo's development/deployment with this goal (shut-down defenceman) as their main priority.  As such, offensive numbers in my view are meaningless to Woo's development.  If he chips in with a goal/assist here/there consider it a bonus. 

This isn't being negative, it's realistic. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If he makes it to the NHL as a regular (and yes, that's to be determined, it's not automatic) he'll be a shut-down guy plain and simple. 

This. 

The issue I have with this though is that there is so much talent in this league now and the game is so fast that if you don't have all your players with at least the *potential* to score, that guy better do what he does out on the ice at an elite level. So in this case, he better become an elite defender otherwise there just isn't any point. As it stands currently, the best defensive defensemen in the league can almost always still contribute here and there. Pesce, as an example, is perhaps one of the best defensive players in the game, but still puts up 20-25 points a season. 

Do we have room for a guy who can't put up any realistic scoring? Would he gain points simply by playing beside, say, Hughes?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

This. 

The issue I have with this though is that there is so much talent in this league now and the game is so fast that if you don't have all your players with at least the *potential* to score, that guy better do what he does out on the ice at an elite level. So in this case, he better become an elite defender otherwise there just isn't any point. As it stands currently, the best defensive defensemen in the league can almost always still contribute here and there. Pesce, as an example, is perhaps one of the best defensive players in the game, but still puts up 20-25 points a season. 

Do we have room for a guy who can't put up any realistic scoring? Would he gain points simply by playing beside, say, Hughes?

Chris Tanev?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:50 PM, -AJ- said:

Just checked Abbotsford stats and Woo stuck out at 0 points in 9 games. I know offense isn't his game, but it got me wondering--is he performing well defensively? This is a big year for Woo. I think if he doesn't get NHL time next year, he's probably never going to make it full time.

Hoping his defense looks better than his offense, but I've seen very little of Abbotsford so far.

Woo has a history of slow starts. 

14 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Chris Tanev?

Tanev is probably the closest example I can think of, but even then, with the Canucks, he scored at an average rate of 19 points per 82 games. If Woo only scores 5-10 points a year in the NHL, his defense would have to be about Tanev-level (elite in his prime, IMO) to justify an NHL job.

To be fair, Tanev played as a solid 2/3 guy in his prime, so maybe Woo could make it on almost no offense as a bottom pairing guy.

The idea behind this though is that just like there isn't room for guys who are only enforcers and can't score anymore in the league, I also don't think there's room for strong stay-at-home defenders who score 8 points a year anymore. You need more offense out of everyone on the team, from enforcers to defensemen, even if that's not at all their primary role.

Zack MacEwen is one of those guys who was cut due to his inability to score points last year.

On the defensive end, guys like Brendan Gaunce and even recently, Olli Juolevi come to mind as guys who had strong NHL-calibre defense, but couldn't provide enough outside of that to justify an NHL job.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:50 PM, -AJ- said:

On 11/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, VegasCanuck said:

He's playing first pairing, is killing penalties, he's their go to guy, for keeping the puck out of the net.

I've followed a few games online and have gone to two games in Abbotsford, he looks fairly solid defensively. He still time to time wanders a bit too much in his own zone and needs to positionally be more discipline to keeping to his area of defending. Additionally, still think he needs to close his gaps quicker. His puck handling has been night and day compared to his first NHL training camp and even last season. He is more decisive and quicker to make reads what to do with the puck. 

He is now playing on the third pairing due to the depth on the right side. Juulsen has taken his spot on the top pairing with Sautner, and Bowey was playing on the 2nd pairing with Schilling. So Woo doesn't really see prime time minutes anymore 5v5 and is now the 2nd unit PK as of now.

IMO Madison Bowey has been pretty horrific defensively and takes really stupid and lazy penalties. I can see why Madison Bowey hasn't seen NHL prime time in a while, because he is really a bad defensemen. Like Derrick Pouliot level horrendous. I really think Cull should be giving Woo Bowey's ice time. I do think Woo will eventually get those minutes because he is so steady defensively though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Way I see it is that so long as Woo can provide a minimum of physicality and reliable defensive play he'll get his opportunities to pick up points. We've got guys like OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone on the other side. We've got guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Boeser, Miller, Pearson, and Garland up front. He'd be on the ice with one of these D at any given time, he'd pick up points. 

He's shown he's capable of offense at lower levels, and Abbotsford isn't scoring much. If the Canucks can get back to scoring more in the seasons to come, and they've got the horses to, I don't see how Woo wouldn't pick up at least the odd point as a byproduct. It's not as if he's got zero offensive chops. Will offense ever be his primary focus as a D? Probably not, but it's not going to be for every guy in your D core. 

If he can step up and play responsible D who knows what he could be, he's only been 21 for a few months. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Way I see it is that so long as Woo can provide a minimum of physicality and reliable defensive play he'll get his opportunities to pick up points. We've got guys like OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone on the other side. We've got guys like Horvat, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Boeser, Miller, Pearson, and Garland up front. He'd be on the ice with one of these D at any given time, he'd pick up points. 

He's shown he's capable of offense at lower levels, and Abbotsford isn't scoring much. If the Canucks can get back to scoring more in the seasons to come, and they've got the horses to, I don't see how Woo wouldn't pick up at least the odd point as a byproduct. It's not as if he's got zero offensive chops. Will offense ever be his primary focus as a D? Probably not, but it's not going to be for every guy in your D core. 

If he can step up and play responsible D who knows what he could be, he's only been 21 for a few months. 

I think your point about Abbey not scoring much is important. I am a bit surprised they aren’t scoring more. Thought their lineup would produce more.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think your point about Abbey not scoring much is important. I am a bit surprised they aren’t scoring more. Thought their lineup would produce more.

They seem to be having the same struggles the parent club has been, it's not uncommon for them to score three goals but they've yet to score more