The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 minutes ago, suitup said:

Totally unrelated, but if half Asians count, technically Matt Dumba and Manny Malhotra are the highest drafted players of Asian descent. 

Anyways... Jett Woo was someone I wanted with our 2nd round pick, really glad we got him. 

He is on sportsnet 650 radio right now. Quinn Hughes followed by Benning up on at the top of each hour ahead

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone is saying we're drafting too small but they're really overlooking some of the grit we've added.

Woo, Madden, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin, Brassard, Gunnarsson all project to be solid bottom six/ bottom four guys and all play with grit and a good amount of push back.

If these guys fill out as role players they should compliment our skilled guys very nicely.

Drafting guys with little man syndrome doesn’t actually do anything for the grit, so take out Madden. 

Tryamkin is under contract in Russia for 2 more years, and might not even come back.  So he comes off that list.  

Brassard, Gunnarson are both big long shots to ever make the NHL, so they aren’t on the list.   

The only real possibility of being a quality grit play is Gadjovich.   

I understand the Hughes pick.  He is a wizard in skates.  

But JB completely wasted 2 picks IMO.  

We are drafting too small.  

For years we have been bullied and pushed around.  

Sure the league is changing a bit,  but that doesn’t mean trade your helmets for troll hair.  

People talk like soon the NHL will be all 5’8” 160lbs players. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Totally unrelated, but if half Asians count, technically Matt Dumba and Manny Malhotra are the highest drafted players of Asian descent. 

Anyways... Jett Woo was someone I wanted with our 2nd round pick, really glad we got him. 

Paul Kariya

Kariya.PNG.47ecf6f0df09d69e357e8effe3837749.PNG

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

Saw this from someone who watches Moose Jaw games...

"One hopes Woo, who was held back a bit, if not quite a bit, by Hunter in Moose Jaw, is a lot better than people think. When he plays away from Hunter he plays a lot better, looks like a real competitor and his offence is better too. If Hunter lets him play and doesn’t sink him on the 3rd pairing for 1/2 the season….. After all, in the 1st twenty, when Moose Jaw’s defence was depleted, Woo played a lot, looked very good, and the Warriors were very good. Then late in the season, after his injuries and suspensions and trades, Hunter benched him in favour of Clague and Josh, because he prefers to play ‘veterans who know the right way to play’."

Tf is the "right way to play?"

1 hour ago, suitup said:

*Chinese. I know it's a big country and takes up most of Asia, but he's the second highest player of Chinese descent picked in the draft. Neither the Philippines nor India are a part of China. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Drafting guys with little man syndrome doesn’t actually do anything for the grit, so take out Madden. 

Tryamkin is under contract in Russia for 2 more years, and might not even come back.  So he comes off that list.  

Brassard, Gunnarson are both big long shots to ever make the NHL, so they aren’t on the list.   

The only real possibility of being a quality grit play is Gadjovich.   

I understand the Hughes pick.  He is a wizard in skates.  

But JB completely wasted 2 picks IMO.  

We are drafting too small.  

For years we have been bullied and pushed around.  

Sure the league is changing a bit,  but that doesn’t mean trade your helmets for troll hair.  

People talk like soon the NHL will be all 5’8” 160lbs players. 

Lind is gritty as hell.  Woo hits like a Mack truck and is very solid. Tymakin is a team property until he is not. Gunnerson is a prefect replacement for Biega as the 7th d. Lockwood plays a very gritty game. Both Pettersson and Dahlen go into the dangerous areas without fear. 

We also have Horvat and Virtannen and Gudbranson.

Madden plays like like his dad, that is gritty.  Size and grit are not equivalent.  

Anything past Utunen is a long shot at very best. 

So if the 139 lbs Russian overager doesn’t make the NHL, so what. No one though Johnny Hockey was ever going to make it either. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

*Chinese. I know it's a big country and takes up most of Asia, but he's the second highest player of Chinese descent picked in the draft. Neither the Philippines nor India are a part of China. 

Ah okay, I thought I heard Asian during the draft coverage. Chinese makes more sense. Speaking of Chinese representation, anyone remember Brandon Yip? 

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Tf is the "right way to play?"

That gets thrown around a lot. It was said by some of the folks in our system as well in regards to Virtanen not getting a ton of time. Cause he had to learn "the right way to play". I think Green said that about him during their AHL stint together. I think it's just a hockey IQ thing. Maybe? No one wants to call out their guys IQ so they use different terminology to make it sound better. I dunno.

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That gets thrown around a lot. It was said by some of the folks in our system as well in regards to Virtanen not getting a ton of time. Cause he had to learn "the right way to play". I think Green said that about him during their AHL stint together. I think it's just a hockey IQ thing. Maybe? No one wants to call out their guys IQ so they use different terminology to make it sound better. I dunno.

Not really...

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

'IQ'

Playing the 'right way' is all about pace/pursuit/attack/positioning etc and the appropriate preparation in the gym/at practice to do so.

I don't think playing the right way was even a problem with Woo. I think the coach just trusted veterans with more experience.

Edited by westcoastsniper
  • Cheers 1