The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

21 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Why. I think he will turn out to be a steal . Ur comment contradicts itself . We can use a right hand d with offensive upside , but it not a fan of the pick ?

We traded for Leipsic. We don't need McLeod as much as a kid like Woo. Even though Leipsic is not a centre , he brings the same skill set imo. 

The kid oozes character,  and is exactly the kind of d man we should have been looking at after drafting Hughes . 

Whatever . To each their own I guess.  

I’m not a big fan only because I really like McLeod; hence why I’m open to see how he turns out.  I’m not against the pick by any means.

I don’t believe you should draft for what you need instead of taking the best player available.  I think McLeod has very good potential to be an impact player.  You can never have too much talent as you have no idea what’s happening in the future.  Heck Defence used to be our position of strength now its our weakness in a very short period of time.  Things and needs change all the time.  Best player available is the best way to draft.  

I hope Woo turns out, I’m just not sure what his ceiling will be

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 2

He wasn't my first, second or even third choice for the 1st round, but he fits what we have very well. I would have preferred Addison, another right handed WHL defenseman who was almost a PPG and put up better numbers than Dumba, or guys like Hallander, McLeod, Olofsson, etc. but this is still solid. 

I don't like drafting prospects with and injury history and Woo has that. However, he could still turn into a good defensive top-4 defenseman. Hopefully our literal Tanev replacement, injuries and all.

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, Brovat said:

If Woo and Gadjovich work out the Canucks are instantly hard to play against. 

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Really... 

I disagree. 

Woo plays a physical but clean game and Gadj plays a hard-nosed game. But I think the Canucks will need more toughness than that to be harder than average to play against. Looking 2 or 3 years down the road, Guddy should still be here and Virtanen will probably still be here playing a physical game. But the Canucks would, in my view, still need some additional size and toughness, preferably a physical power forward type and another physically imposing D. Even in today's NHL, with high skill but relatively non-physical stars like Boeser, Pettersson, and now Hughes, it will be important to complement that. Horvat is very strong and wins puck battles and holds his own in front of the net. Leipsic plays with a bit of an edge, and so does Gaudette, so that will help. 

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

We'll see if he gets good enough for that. You can't just stick a #4 D-man with a #1-2 because their sizes compliment each other. I'm not sure I see Woo being more than a second pairing guy who excels on the PK (maybe a 2nd unit PP?) where Hughes should be a top pairing, 1st unit PP guy.

That is true, but it far from clear that Woo will be a #4 D-man. While some great Ds have come from the second round, going by the averages, getting just a legitimate 3rd pairing D in the second round is good. Getting a top 4 D is great.

Woo's injury kind of derailed his season and led to him dropping lower in the draft than he otherwise would have gone so, assuming the injury was a one-off that is behind him, we can be optimistic. So I do expect him to play in the NHL, and he has a shot to become a top 4 D. He also seems like a very nice kid and I am really pulling for him. Hope he has a big year in the WHL next year.

It is fun to imagine pairings (like Woo and Hughes). But I remember how stoked everyone was about a potential Hutton/Guddy pairing when the Guddy trade was announced.

If Hughes makes the team next year, I would put him with Tanev --giving him the best chance to be successful. Edler and Stecher showed that they play well together last year, even in a shutdown role. That would leave Guddy and probably MDZ as the third pairing, with Juolevi in Utica, and Pouliot or Hutton as 7th man  Hard to see both Juolevi and Hughes on the team and, based on their performance last year, I would say Hughes is closer to being NHL ready.

The fact that Hughes played pretty well in the IIHF world championships is very impressive. Several of those teams were probably better than the average NHL team, and Hughes showed he could play effectively at that level. Also, despite being the youngest D in the NCAA last year, a number of people say that, by the end of the season, he was the best D in the NCAA. Using normal transition probabilities, that suggests he would be a decent NHL player this year. However, as I indicated in a previous message, I kind of favor him going back to Michigan where he can have a great year instead of maybe struggling a bit on a team that is likely to struggle. But it is a close call. And having him in Utica might be good.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Woo plays a physical but clean game and Gadj plays a hard-nosed game. But I think the Canucks will need more toughness than that to be harder than average to play against. 

You’re much closer to the truth than the fellow claiming this club is “instantly harder to play against” with Woo and Gadjovich on it. Two guys don’t make a lick of difference. Especially not two guys who aren’t on the first line, etc. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

correct me if I'm wrong, 2nd Chinese player in history to get drafted?

2016 Saw Cliff Pu and Jonathan Ang get drafted into the NHL and those guys are full Chinese.  

Ang, 19, became the first player of Malaysian heritage to be drafted by an NHL team when the Florida Panthers, chose him in the fourth round of the 2016 draft. He signed a three-year entry level contract with the NHL team in November.

I really like the pick. Woo is already 200+ (size), and focuses on taking care of his own end. He'll battle hard, which will be needed in front of Demko to clear away opponents. Also love that he's a right-shot D.

Starting to look real good (after Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Hutton and Biega are gone)

Hughes - Woo

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Tryamkin? - Stecher

Brisebois - Pouliot

Rathbone - Chatfield

1 minute ago, BabychStache said:

What wonderful words when Woo was wildly whispered. 

I have to admit I was thinking Wilde things myself.  

I would have tabbed Bode Wilde or Addison & also liked Gustafsson.  But I really like this pick anyway. Jett is a beast physically for his size, a great motor, very competitive. I understand the logic and appeal of the pick, its also probably a very safe one?

• Upvote 1

So I also like that Woo has a tendency to smash oncoming forwards in the neutral zone. I saw him as predominantly a physical & defensive D.

Bracket on interview suggested he also has pretty darn good puck & scoring skills, With the Warriors, he noted Jett started the season on a PPG pace. Got injured, and by the time he returned they had traded for some incoming PMD & PPQB help. So his role changed, but that the Canucks felt he was very capable of playing in all situations. Which included being able to rush the puck & play PP, even at the NHL level?

Hmmmmn... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2