The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Totally!!!  I was listening to him on the Pat Cast and kept thinking why does he think he is a physical only player?  You watch him play and you can see he has some good offensive instincts and seems like he has some good agility.  The more I watch him play the more I see a Hamhuis like player- a good 3 zone player.  If he turns out that way that's a pretty good player to get isnt it?

Watched a couple episodes on the youtubes to see what it was, cause the thumbnail doesn't show his dumb face, and I instantly wish I never did. Yet my stupid self decided to watch for a few minutes. I swear we have the worst media in the league. I know it's bad to generalize but geez. That was hard to listen to. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

I want to see Marchand get Kronwoo'd.

Shades of a young Kevin Bieksa, would be so down to have another guy like that on the team!!

Wonder if he and Juolevi could become a new Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing?  The future sure is bright here.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Shades of a young Kevin Bieksa, would be so down to have another guy like that on the team!!

Wonder if he and Juolevi could become a new Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing?  The future sure is bright here.

Hopefully not the 2013-2015 hamhuis-bieksa :mellow:

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Qwags said:

I want to see Marchand get Kronwoo'd.

Liked what he said about his year and what next year will bring.

top pairing guy, big pp minutes and will Be one of the teams leaders

i really don't think it's a stretch to see Woo be one of the top dmen in the WHL next season.. 

in the moment I wanted wilde or wise...  but I'm 100% onboard with this pick. Think he will make it to the big show and be an impact player.

Here's to WOO!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

I was listening to NHL network on Sirius radio today and they were talking about Woo potentially playing on Hughes’ right side one day if all goes well. 

If Woo can become what we all hope he can, that could be a deadly pairing. Woo using his speed to close in on an attacker, then blowing him up with a hit. Woo retrieves the puck and feeds Hughes who uses his edges and dangles to make everyone look like pylons. 

Ahhh, one can dream lol

It's probably more likely Woo top's out is a good, 2nd pair guy but hey, you never know! And I sure won't complain if he reaches that ceiling ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder how high on the Canucks board Woo was. I know Ryan Kennedy of the Hockey News had him ranked as his #21 prospect in the draft. Others had him ranked in the 50's or 60's. This was a crazy draft for variance of opinion among teams and scouts. I wonder if it was just Woo's injury and subsequent change of role that accounts for such a disparity in the rankings. Anyways, i'm happy with the pick and he Woo seems like a safe bet to make the NHL. In the 2nd round, if your able to draft a guy who is in your bottom pair it's a win, top 4 is a homerun. 

Any other ranking have Woo in the first round?

Edited by Bert Diesel

21 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Thanks for that. Jeff Marek had him at #19 in March. Dobber prospects had him at #25. Brett Slawson of the Hockey writers at #24. All things considered, there were many scouts who had this guy as a first rounder. Anyone saying this was a reach is objectively wrong. How he turns out only time will tell but it looks like a solid pick in a draft deep on defenceman. 

He definitely wasn’t a reach. There’s a better argument for him being a steal. Was picked either later or right around where he was ranked. There just happened to be a handful of “fallers” still left on the board that some people maybe liked better. However, with some of those fallers, there have been whispers about some serious concerns that led teams to pass on them. With Woo, it seems mainly about his numbers (which are easily explained by his second half usage after returning from injury and some lineup additions).

• Upvote 4

Here is a review of another 2nd round pick from the whl after he was drafted 49th in the 2nd round.

Shea Weber, Defense

Round
2, Pick 49

Team:
Kelowna

Ht/Wt:
6-3, 190                        

Hometown:
Sicamous, B.C. 

Stats:
70 GP, 2 goals, 16 assists, 18 points, 167 PIM

Comment:
Weber is a tough, physical player who fills the Predators need for a big
defender.  Weber
is most noted for his strong skating ability and his no-fear approach to playing
defense.  The
6-3 defenseman has the ability to physically dominate opponents and clear out
players in front of the net. 
The Predators thought so highly of Weber that they moved defensemen Tomas
Slovak to Colorado to make room for Weber. 
Weber needs to add muscle to be successful in the NHL. 
Weber was member
of the 2003 WHL Champion Kelowna Rockets this season.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/6107/predators_draft_review/#Hw6LdOlSdyVor3TS.99

Sound familiar?  Woo's idol is Weber.  Right shot on top of it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Here is a review of another 2nd round pick from the whl after he was drafted 49th in the 2nd round.

Shea Weber, Defense

Round
2, Pick 49

Team:
Kelowna

Ht/Wt:
6-3, 190                        

Hometown:
Sicamous, B.C. 

Stats:
70 GP, 2 goals, 16 assists, 18 points, 167 PIM

Comment:
Weber is a tough, physical player who fills the Predators need for a big
defender.  Weber
is most noted for his strong skating ability and his no-fear approach to playing
defense.  The
6-3 defenseman has the ability to physically dominate opponents and clear out
players in front of the net. 
The Predators thought so highly of Weber that they moved defensemen Tomas
Slovak to Colorado to make room for Weber. 
Weber needs to add muscle to be successful in the NHL. 
Weber was member
of the 2003 WHL Champion Kelowna Rockets this season.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/6107/predators_draft_review/#Hw6LdOlSdyVor3TS.99

Sound familiar?  Woo's idol is Weber.  Right shot on top of it.

Just imagine if that was to be the case....

Weber and Hughes to run our defence the next 15 years....

Get our 1C at next draft so Pettersson can stay on the wing, and we will be in business baby....

• Upvote 1