The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

20 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-coms-early-top-31/

Hockey prospect had Woo ranked 6th before the start of last season, injuries really hurt his stock. Hopefully he can bounce back and be a steal.

Thanks for posting that, I think when all is said and done, he will be a steal at 37th.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I'm a little confused why Botchford and other so-called experts keep calling him a stay at home defenceman?  He was a ppg in the first quarter of the season and then had injuries and then came back and was put on shutdown role because of some trades that changed his role on the team.  Had he kept on that pace or near it he would have been right up there with all the offensive defenceman his age in the CHL.  I think that JB did a great job here of understanding the real potential of the pick rather than just the numbers.  Woo won't be challenging Hughes or Juolevi for top defensive scorer but I think he will be a strong contributor to the offense and the defense.

And because Woo is such a responsible defender, he will allow his partner to be more offensive minded.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-coms-early-top-31/

Hockey prospect had Woo ranked 6th before the start of last season, injuries really hurt his stock. Hopefully he can bounce back and be a steal.

Interesting look back. Liam Foudy at mid season was ranked in the 90s. Did not realise how up/ down/ up his season rankings were.

Edit: ......and what happened to the Bouchards ? Evan not rated and Xavier at #18 ( taken in 6th round )

Edited by SingleThorn

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I'm a little confused why Botchford and other so-called experts keep calling him a stay at home defenceman?  He was a ppg in the first quarter of the season and then had injuries and then came back and was put on shutdown role because of some trades that changed his role on the team.  Had he kept on that pace or near it he would have been right up there with all the offensive defenceman his age in the CHL.  I think that JB did a great job here of understanding the real potential of the pick rather than just the numbers.  Woo won't be challenging Hughes or Juolevi for top defensive scorer but I think he will be a strong contributor to the offense and the defense.

Cause they dumb 

write articles quickly without putting the proper time into them 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

thanks for sharing that.  Very interesting to look at now, right after the draft.

I think he is a great pick at 37 and in a re-draft, with recovery from the injuries and a different role would probably be a late 1st.

Edited by Stormriders

1 hour ago, Stormriders said:

thanks for sharing that.  Very interesting to look at now, right after the draft.

I think he is a great pick at 37 and in a re-draft, with recovery from the injuries and a different role would probably be a late 1st.

Overheard at the Canucks 2018 Draft table:

“Why isn’t anyone taking Jett Woo?”

;) 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I'm a little confused why Botchford and other so-called experts keep calling him a stay at home defenceman? 

Totally!!!  I was listening to him on the Pat Cast and kept thinking why does he think he is a physical only player?  You watch him play and you can see he has some good offensive instincts and seems like he has some good agility.  The more I watch him play the more I see a Hamhuis like player- a good 3 zone player.  If he turns out that way that's a pretty good player to get isnt it?

• Upvote 4

On 6/26/2018 at 1:48 PM, Dixon Ward said:

For the clicks and "controversy."

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Overheard at the Canucks 2018 Draft table:

“Why isn’t anyone taking Jett Woo?”

;) 

He sure looks physically NHL ready...

Hughes and Woo make the team?

Wouldn’t that be a boon...

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2018 at 1:48 PM, Dixon Ward said:

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Totally!!!  I was listening to him on the Pat Cast and kept thinking why does he think he is a physical only player?  You watch him play and you can see he has some good offensive instincts and seems like he has some good agility.  The more I watch him play the more I see a Hamhuis like player- a good 3 zone player.  If he turns out that way that's a pretty good player to get isnt it?

These guys probably just look at the stats and see that when Woo played age group best-on-best hockey tournaments internationally he didn't exactly put up 'elite' scoring numbers.  I think he's got more to show offensively and we'll get to see if that's true next season in MJ where most certainly he'll be expected to play a far bigger offensive role than he did this year throughout the season.  He should be one of the more experienced D in MJ next season and not get stuck playing lesser/different type of minutes behind other older/more experienced D-men.  Also, if he gets picked to the WJC summer development camp we'll see how team Canada sees his role - but I suspect even there he'll be relegated behind their chosen 'offensive' defenceman and if he wants to make the WJC roster he'll have to do so by using his mobility/physicality rather than his point production. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1