The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good to know he's working on his offence, and it's showing this year. If he can have a Bieksa like trajectory, he'll be a really valuable to the team. Physical and reliable defensively but can also chip in offence once in a while.

One thing I noticed is he's able to change the angle of the shots around a defensemen to get the shot through to the crease.

• Upvote 1

I watched Jett Woo play in Victoria tonight as his team beat Victoria 4-0.

Jett Played a solid game keeping things simple, smart plays with puck in his own end.

Mr. Woo got under the skin of most of the Victoria players...

Jett Woo looked good on the power play as Moose Jaw went 3-3 on PP

Very very good power play .. Impressed with Woo as a 18 yr old D man, not shy of rough play, made some big hits...

Woo 37 GP 37 Pts --- Brooks -- 32 GP  - 43 Pts

Tracey GP 41 - Pts 42  - Almaida GP 37 -56 PTS   Langan 41 GP  73 PTS

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I watched Jett Woo play in Victoria tonight as his team beat Victoria 4-0.

Jett Played a solid game keeping things simple, smart plays with puck in his own end.

Mr. Woo got under the skin of most of the Victoria players...

Jett Woo looked good on the power play as Moose Jaw went 3-3 on PP

Very very good power play .. Impressed with Woo as a 18 yr old D man, not shy of rough play, made some big hits...

Woo 37 GP 37 Pts --- Brooks -- 32 GP  - 43 Pts

Tracey GP 41 - Pts 42  - Almaida GP 37 -56 PTS   Langan 41 GP  73 PTS

I saw the game too. Very impressive game by Woo. He's quite a bit shorter than I thought... kind of reminds of Tootoo out there with the physical play. He looked good on the power play. He took every opportunity he could to finish checks.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Man Bennings such a badass going about his business drafting 4 nhlers per round.

Even my friends (one whos a leaf fan) even think we have something special in the making.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If Woo is able to mainting this play through the season, there may be a serious chance he makes the canucks next season. He has the body size already at 6'0 and 200 when drafted, and who do we have ahead of him on the right side?

Stetcher and Tanev, both fan favourites and players I love. Tanev is fairly injury prone and in the last year of current contract, I do see him resigning on past this season though. Stetcher has great heart and plays the game well, but I'm not sure if he is that big in the future plans of the canucks with Hughes also being a smaller defensman. 

Woo is currently putting up better numbers then Rielly and Hamonic in their D+1 seasons as 18 year olds. I am not a fan of looking at stuff like this to predict a future, but it does often prove to be true I believe. 

Our right side is weak, and Woo is strong!! 

What are his chances of him making it next year?

2 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

If Woo is able to mainting this play through the season, there may be a serious chance he makes the canucks next season. He has the body size already at 6'0 and 200 when drafted, and who do we have ahead of him on the right side?

Stetcher and Tanev, both fan favourites and players I love. Tanev is fairly injury prone and in the last year of current contract, I do see him resigning on past this season though. Stetcher has great heart and plays the game well, but I'm not sure if he is that big in the future plans of the canucks with Hughes also being a smaller defensman. 

Woo is currently putting up better numbers then Rielly and Hamonic in their D+1 seasons as 18 year olds. I am not a fan of looking at stuff like this to predict a future, but it does often prove to be true I believe. 

Our right side is weak, and Woo is strong!! 

What are his chances of him making it next year?

Like 1% chance. Really excited about this prospect, but he still has a lot to learn about handling NHL level forwards. He's bigger and stronger than 90% of the kids in the WHL, but in the NHL, he's going to be at a complete disadvantage and will need to build more strength. If we tried to drop him into the NHL next year, then he's in a position where he's weaker than 90% of the other players on the ice, and that will just destroy his confidence.

Don't try and be Edmonton, they have pushed their development back years, by rushing players to the NHL who weren't ready.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Like 1% chance. Really excited about this prospect, but he still has a lot to learn about handling NHL level forwards. He's bigger and stronger than 90% of the kids in the WHL, but in the NHL, he's going to be at a complete disadvantage and will need to build more strength. If we tried to drop him into the NHL next year, then he's in a position where he's weaker than 90% of the other players on the ice, and that will just destroy his confidence.

Don't try and be Edmonton, they have pushed their development back years, by rushing players to the NHL who weren't ready.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'd be saying at least a 2% chance he makes it no?

I agree there is no sense in rushing a prospect, and another year in the WHL would probably be good for him. I also see a good hard meat and potatoes type of player in a man's body putting up great numbers for an apparent defensive defenseman. Another year of superiour strength at the WHL might not be as good as bottom six minutes in the NHL.  

It's crazy how young this kid still is

14 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'd be saying at least a 2% chance he makes it no?

I agree there is no sense in rushing a prospect, and another year in the WHL would probably be good for him. I also see a good hard meat and potatoes type of player in a man's body putting up great numbers for an apparent defensive defenseman. Another year of superiour strength at the WHL might not be as good as bottom six minutes in the NHL.  

I think you are really getting ahead of yourself regarding Jett Woo's timeline. He will almost certainly spend next year in the WHL and likely the year after that in the AHL before he is ready to play in the NHL. As good a prospect that he is; he has a lot to learn yet IMO

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

No, Yes.....in that order.... 

He's a REALLY great prospect, putting him in the NHL next year, would be a huge mistake.

He didn't make the World Junior team because he still has holes in his game. Let him work through those and spend a year in Utica when he's done with the WHL. We'll get a much better player if we do.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Woo is listed at 6 feet, but after seeing him, I think that’s at least two inches too generous. Can anyone confirm?

I love his physical play. He would be very unpleasant to play against.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/02/2018-nhl-draft-combine-heights-and-weights/

These are the official combine measurements.  He comes in at 6 feet and 200 pounds .