The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Thiessen | G

ruilin96

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Awesome. Do we still have this guy as a prospect or did we release him? There's no info on him whatsoever, with respect to him being Canucks property.

He’s still on our reserve list.

CapFriendly has draft rights listed until August 15th, 2023.

This is probably correct, although the rights might have an earlier expiration (like Rathbone, who was initially listed as 5 years from his draft, but a CBA clause created an earlier expiration, which was a concern for a minute there, until he got signed). 

Regardless, still lots of time. This season will likely determine whether or not Thiessen is a “prospect” or not. He’s expected to play a fair amount, which should give us a better idea of his potential.

• Like 1

I think the Maine Black Bears (Thiessen’s team) are now scheduled to play their first game on December 12th.

They were set to start in November, but due to Covid infections on campus (including some players on varsity teams), winter sports were delayed, and the first two weeks of games got postponed.

Hopefully, they’ll get the all clear to start the schedule back up next week. 

• Like 1

The two other goalies from the 2019-20 Maine Black Bears have left the team. The starter (Jeremy Swayman) has gone pro and signed with the Bruins. And the other guy IIRC was around a 26 year old backup/3rd stringer who’s moved on to another NCAA team for a 5th year, after completing his 4 years with Maine. 

Thiessen is the only returning goalie

for Maine.

So the net is pretty wide open.

Thiessen will be competing with two other 2000 born goalies, both of them undrafted.

Right now, his main competition looks to be the Swedish goalie Victor Östman. He had an impressive 2019-20 season with the Chicago Steel of the USHL, finishing top-5 in most categories, and leading that league in wins, 3rd in GAA, 4th in Sv%, and 4th in shutouts.

However, being a sophomore, Thiessen likely has a slight leg up on the incoming freshmen goalies. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So a 0.974 Sv% and a 0.92 GAA (by my unofficial calculations) to start the season?

Not bad for the kid with the 25.59 GAA and 0.50 Sv% last year. ;) 

Trending very well.

hopefully his level is closer to tonight's game and further from his last season.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Trending very well.

hopefully his level is closer to tonight's game and further from his last season.

Definitely trending very well. By next season, he should be the first ever goalie to have a save percentage greater than 100% and a negative GAA. ;) 

But yeah, hopefully this season is a better indication of who he actually is as a prospect. I don’t expect him to maintain anything close to these numbers, but Thiessen is an athletic goalie with a strong work ethic, solid technique, and good size. I think we all knew he was much better than those numbers from last year suggested. This year is his opportunity to prove himself a capable #1 at the NCAA level, and put himself back on the radar as an NHL prospect. Game one was a great start. And if he keeps playing like this, I doubt he’ll be giving up the net anytime soon, and he could show himself to be a player Canucks fans should keep an eye on.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:57 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely trending very well. By next season, he should be the first ever goalie to have a save percentage greater than 100% and a negative GAA. ;) 

But yeah, hopefully this season is a better indication of who he actually is as a prospect. I don’t expect him to maintain anything close to these numbers, but Thiessen is an athletic goalie with a strong work ethic, solid technique, and good size. I think we all knew he was much better than those numbers from last year suggested. This year is his opportunity to prove himself a capable #1 at the NCAA level, and put himself back on the radar as an NHL prospect. Game one was a great start. And if he keeps playing like this, I doubt he’ll be giving up the net anytime soon, and he could show himself to be a player Canucks fans should keep an eye on.

Wow! He could be the only Canuck to wear a big S instead of marine mammal on the front of his jersey, and lead the team in scoring. In order to minimize embarrassment to skaters in the league, the league would be forced to count his goals scored as negative goals against... it could happen...

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Nice start after two games. Hope to see a redemptive season from this young man and bring him back into the goaltending discussion for the Canucks.

Hope so. Not too enthused with Silovs. But Silovs has done great in one game with the Moose. 

• 1 year later...

Looks like our long forgotten 7th round pick from 2018, Matthew Thiessen, left University of Maine for University of Minnesota-Duluth back in April.

Canucks still hold his rights. He didn't come to Development Camp this summer. Doubt he signs but if he has a great season, he could enter the conversation for getting an AHL contract with Abbotsford.

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

Looks like our long forgotten 7th round pick from 2018, Matthew Thiessen, left University of Maine for University of Minnesota-Duluth back in April.

Canucks still hold his rights. He didn't come to Development Camp this summer. Doubt he signs but if he has a great season, he could enter the conversation for getting an AHL contract with Abbotsford.

So is he a Clark bust, or was Clark not here when Thiessen was drafted?

8 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He was not a Clark pick. He was picked in the draft that took place before Clark returned.

Wow.  Our non-Clark-drafted goalies (Thiessen & DiPietro) aren't working out very well for us.  The jury's still out on the ones he seems to have hand-picked (Silovs, Koskenvuo & Young), but will be interesting to see if they fare that much better.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Seems like the transfer to Minny Duluth has turned around for Thiesen. GAA 1.33 and a Sv% of 0.949

Good opportunity for him at UMD. I think nearly all their goalies left the program after last season (either graduating or turning pro). If he keeps posting numbers like this, he could steal the starter role there. A solid senior year and maybe he can even put himself on the radar for an AHL deal.