The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Looks like a fifth title in the past 10 years could be in the works.   Vancouver may be the site of this record achievement.

nhl-nhl-nhl-nhl-draft-draft-draft-draft-

Yep! plus all the other quality 1st round picks that were not 1st overall to add to that and where and what has it got them?

A lot of CDC'rs on here whine about JB and how he blew the picks for Virtanen and Juolevi calling them "busts"???

Maybe now they get to see first hand from one of our divisional rivals how not to manage a team and have a bit more respect for the body of work that JB and the scouting staff have accomplished in 5 years at the helm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Top prospects game was pretty good this year. Connor mcmichael stood out in the game along with kaliyev for me. Dylan Cozens just rocked it in the skills and off ice testing. Kid is a beast athletically and showed that he puts the time in the weight room. 

Krebs has been creating a lot of offence for his team, but he doesn't have the same production numbers as some of his comparables. Kootenay is a terrible team and he doesn't have much support at all. He just had a pretty good showing at the TPG (based on what I've heard) and it'll be tough to get a read on how his offense will translate. Dellandrea was in a similar position last year with the Firebirds. Sam Reinhart played for the Ice when he was drafted as well and they were terrible back then too. If a team believes he can generate with better players, then they'll take him. 

• Upvote 3

Just got around to watching the Prospect game finally.

Bolduc's game was up and down but his size/skating ability is intriguing. Felt he was better when he was keeping his game simple. Harley seems like a rover, excellent skater but I wasn't crazy about his positioning & some of his decisions. Lasse Thompson was decent for team Orr, not as smooth a skater but I liked him a bit more than Harley. Solid puck mover. 

Overall pretty much all the D had their mistakes. Even Byram who was the best D in the game had his moments. Love his poise though, he won't be waiting long on draft day. 

Didn't see alot from Cozens but I really liked Krebs, such a smart player. That line with Kaliyev & Robertson was the best in the game. Robertson had probably the best game of anyone. You could see Ryan Suzuki's puck skills but I thought Robertson was better than him in this one. Also I wonder if both Cozens & Krebs are center's in the NHL or not. Could see both as wingers too.

One other guy is Poulin. Don't know where he'll go, or what his offensive upside is. But I liked how he skated & his willingness to be physical. Obviously had the goal being strong infront of the net too. Can still use guys like that big time. 

Finally I liked Dach alot. Seemed to always be in position to take control of the puck. Another really smart player. Love his upside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of draft rankings are out now and have Alex Newhook sagging in the rankings.

Once thought to be in the top ten is now slipping to the early 20's.

Not sure why but culd be a huge boon for us if thats where we will be selecting.

Playing in bchl does that to your ranking. He's been improving all year round consistently, wouldn't be upset landing him later in the first if we could add another first.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was at the game last night and he's a couple of levels above everyone else on the ice. He did get a little lucky too though, as he almost had an early end to his night when he tried to get a guy to fight in the second period and it would have been a secondary altercation. If the kid on the other team was smart, he would've dropped the gloves with him just to get him off the ice, especially because Byram had his goal and assist after that altercation. I like that he has a bit of attitude to his game, because his skill and vision are already off the charts. A lot can happen in the next few years, but I think the kids going to be a pretty special player in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He has a Russian sounding name.  Is he an import?  Would we (should we) draft another Russian born guy?

Russian parents I believe but he was born in Florida actually, same state as the Hughes boys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Russian parents I believe but he was born in Florida actually, same state as the Hughes boys.

I've only seen this one high-lite, but the guy looks like he has a very solid base, and elite skill.  He's got to be drafted higher than 15, no?

Just now, Alflives said:

I've only seen this one high-lite, but the guy looks like he has a very solid base, and elite skill.  He's got to be drafted higher than 15, no?

He will be in the 10-15 range I think by the end of the season if he can keep it up. He's a one dimensional player, think Vanek. Has size, doesn't use it much, pure goal scorer but needs work in his own zone big time. Not the best skater but improving compared to last year. He's got enough talent alone to have a decent NHL career.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, cyoung said:

He will be in the 10-15 range I think by the end of the season if he can keep it up. He's a one dimensional player, think Vanek. Has size, doesn't use it much, pure goal scorer but needs work in his own zone big time. Not the best skater but improving compared to last year. He's got enough talent alone to have a decent NHL career.

Got him going 15 to 20. Same reasons, plus i can get a player like him in caufield who actually onows there is such a thing as defence.