The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Sure we know that now but at the time that wasn’t the concensus and clearly they made a mistake wth their rankings.

Well he was essentially the consensus. I loved the pick at the time and I still love juolevi, really hope this off season treats him well. He needs some luck haha

Edited by cyoung

On 4/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

I see talk about 'reaching' for a D, but Soderstrom isnt a reach at 9-12. Hes a better player now than Boqvist was last year. Whoever takes him is getting a real good D prospect. 

But Boqvist is a head turner. He owns a rocket launcher and has speed to burn, slick passing etc. His ceiling is much higher than Sodastreams. Though his basement is also lower. Soderstrom seems more what you see is what you get solid big minute top 4 rhd. Personally nothing against Soderstrom he's a good prospect and a safe pick so I wouldn't be mad if JB picked him however if we're going for a RHD I want big nasty Sieder. He's a hulk who skates like the wind and throws fire and brimstone at the net. I'd like to see JB take a big swing with this pick and grab the best goal scorer Caufield, the fastest skater Newhook, or a tower of power on D Sieder. Sure I'd be happy with Boldy, Soderstrom, they just don't excite me in the same way. There will be middle pairing D and 2nd line forwards available in rounds 2-7. 

I'd like to see JB risk his first busting hunting for that franchise player. I feel like the times he went safe Virtanen and Juolevi have been base hits and the times he took a big swing Pettersson too skinny, Hughes too small for a D he knocked it out of the park. Keep swinging for the fences JB. 

I really liked JB's picks last year in Tyler Madden, Uttunen, and Artem Manukian  I felt they optimized this. Woo dropping was also golden.

Edited by hammertime

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

But Boqvist is a head turner. He owns a rocket launcher and has speed to burn, slick passing etc. His ceiling is much higher than Sodastreams. Though his basement is also lower. Soderstrom seems more what you see is what you get solid big minute top 4 rhd. Personally nothing against Soderstrom he's a good prospect and a safe pick so I wouldn't be mad if JB picked him however if we're going for a RHD I want big nasty Sieder. He's a hulk who skates like the wind and throws fire and brimstone at the net. I'd like to see JB take a big swing with this pick and grab the best goal scorer Caufield, the fastest skater Newhook, or a tower of power on D Sieder. Sure I'd be happy with Boldy, Soderstrom, they just don't excite me in the same way. There will be middle pairing D and 2nd line forwards available in rounds 2-7. 

I'd like to see JB risk his first busting hunting for that franchise player. I feel like the times he went safe Virtanen and Juolevi have been base hits and the times he took a big swing Pettersson too skinny, Hughes too small for a D he knocked it out of the park. Keep swinging for the fences JB. 

I really liked JB's picks last year in Tyler Madden, Uttunen, and Artem Manukian  I felt they optimized this. Woo dropping was also golden.

I agree. Go big or go home this draft. If we pick a defenseman it should only be Byram. Otherwise, pick BPA and highest ceiling -- we need players that will drive play, not complementary passengers.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree. Go big or go home this draft. If we pick a defenseman it should only be Byram. Otherwise, pick BPA and highest ceiling -- we need players that will drive play, not complementary passengers.

It all depends on who is there! If we pick 12 and

Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Turcotte, Cousins, Podkolzin, Newhook, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy,  are taken

And we're staring down the barrel at  Suzuki, Lavoi, Krebs, Kaliev I'm taking a long hard look at Sieder, Soderstrom. 

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Seider is an interesting guy too. I like him but I think Soderstrom has more upside. Still see Seider as a top 20 guy though.

If we are going to swing for the fences then Kaliyev should be in the discussion. He's the definition of boom/bust in this draft (i guess Caufield too).

Its just where we are picking this year. At 10 odds are the homerun potential guys are gone unless u wanna take a chance on Kaliyev or Caufield.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

But if he was BPA on our teams draft list they would have taken him? So he wasn’t the BPA to our team at the draft table. 

In hindsight currently he was actually the BPA. that could still change down the road 

and in a redraft I’m sure the Oilers take him.

maybe we are just misunderstanding one another haha 

Some people apparently think that BPA is an objective thing, like there is a number stamped on each player's forehead. You just lift up their hair, read the number and, "ok, this guy is an 89.13, so of course we take him ahead of a guy who is only an 89.12".

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Seider is an interesting guy too. I like him but I think Soderstrom has more upside. Still see Seider as a top 20 guy though.

If we are going to swing for the fences then Kaliyev should be in the discussion. He's the definition of boom/bust in this draft (i guess Caufield too).

Its just where we are picking this year. At 10 odds are the homerun potential guys are gone unless u wanna take a chance on Kaliyev or Caufield.

Kaliyev, Caufield and Newhook all three are home run swing kind of guys.

Kaliyev: defensive commitment and play without the puck while not in the offensive zone needs work

Caufield: Size and Playing style will need adjusting because he will get crushed or injured lots as he doesn’t shy away from contact or going into the dirty areas. Normally this would be good for a player but a player of his size in the NHL playing bigger then he is can be scary. Has to watch tape on gaudreau and DeBrincat atthe NHL and adjust according I think.

Newhook: second tier jr league, Canada camp questioning his compete level concerned me when in a camp of peers

i like all three of them, especially Kaliyev but with all that potentially rewarding upside of the them comes with considerable risk.

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Some people apparently think that BPA is an objective thing, like there is a number stamped on each player's forehead. You just lift up their hair, read the number and, "ok, this guy is an 89.13, so of course we take him ahead of a guy who is only an 89.12".

Yea I was getting confused there.

like every team builds there own scouting list and takes their best player available on a list. 

Its hard ranking 18 year olds anyways lol especially when they play all over the world in different leagues and lots never get to play against each other 

First, the Top 2 are Hughes and Kakko. Byram is real good, but c'mon.

Today's the day! Will we be dreaming of a Top 3 pick tonight or the usual 2-spots back of where we finished? Damn, we need something good to happen here. I think the Canucks will still get a real good player between #10-12, but maybe not a franchise changer. Then again, I believe Pettersson was ranked around #12 last year and well, Benning knows. I will have to do more homework, to see who will be in our range, out of curiosity. My favourites, so far, in the #10-12 range:

1-3. Hughes, Kakko, Byram

4. Podkolzin

5. Turcotte

6. Dach

7. Cozens

8. Krebs

9. Boldy

10-12. Zegras, Caufield, Newhook, Soderstrom

we need a Top 3 pick

I was pretty surprised last year, when MTL took Kotkaniemi at #3 and ARI took Hayton at #5. Those two picks allowed the Canucks to get Hughes I believe. Could the same thing happen this year? Maybe a team ahead of the Canucks takes a high reward player like Caufield early? Maybe another team looking for D could pick up Broberg or Soderstrom early? This would allow the Canucks to maybe snag a player like Cozens, Boldy or Krebs. I'm hopeful of that if the Canucks don't get a Top 3.   

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was pretty surprised last year, when MTL took Kotkaniemi at #3 and ARI took Hayton at #5. Those two picks allowed the Canucks to get Hughes I believe. Could the same thing happen this year? Maybe a team ahead of the Canucks takes a high reward player like Caufield early? Maybe another team looking for D could pick up Broberg or Soderstrom early? This would allow the Canucks to maybe snag a player like Cozens, Boldy or Krebs. I'm hopeful of that if the Canucks don't get a Top 3.   

there's every reason to think things could go that way based on the last couple of drafts. 

In every scenario this year we either get a good player in a position of need, and maybe a great one. After Hughes and Kakko there's a ton of talent in the top 12. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

First, the Top 2 are Hughes and Kakko. Byram is real good, but c'mon.

Today's the day! Will we be dreaming of a Top 3 pick tonight or the usual 2-spots back of where we finished? Damn, we need something good to happen here. I think the Canucks will still get a real good player between #10-12, but maybe not a franchise changer. Then again, I believe Pettersson was ranked around #12 last year and well, Benning knows. I will have to do more homework, to see who will be in our range, out of curiosity. My favourites, so far, in the #10-12 range:

1-3. Hughes, Kakko, Byram

4. Podkolzin

5. Turcotte

6. Dach

7. Cozens

8. Krebs

9. Boldy

10-12. Zegras, Caufield, Newhook, Soderstrom

we need a Top 3 pick

Even if we did win, Benning would panic, change the rules and redraw. 

• Wat 1

55 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Even if we did win, Benning would panic, change the rules and redraw. 

The Canucks don't have to worry about picks 4-8, as we're out of those. We will get either (just a guess on the players available):

1 - Hughes

2 - Kakko

3 - Byram/Podkolzin

9 - Zegras

10 - Boldy

11 - Caufield

12 - Newhook

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks don't have to worry about picks 4-8, as we're out of those. We will get either (just a guess on the players available):

1 - Hughes

2 - Kakko

3 - Byram/Podkolzin

9 - Zegras

10 - Boldy

11 - Caufield

12 - Newhook

Depends, good chance Zegras is gone by 9. Caufield or boldy would be sick. Even newhook.

A little comparison of my own:

Broberg - Has size, very fast straight-line skater, likes to rush with the puck up the side boards and take it all the way. Doesn't seem to use his team mates well on the rush.

Kaliyev - Puts in minimal effort, not overly competitive. Has a great shot, but a questionable D-game. Seems to rely on others to put himself in a scoring position. 

Which Canucks players are they compared to? I don't really want either of these players at #10-12 (lol)