The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If the Canucks don't get a lotto pick, I think they'll draft a forward with their 1st.

Benning could potentially solidify the future D this off season. Some ifs, but if Benning can trade Tanev and Pouliot and ?, for another mid-late 1st, they could maybe get Seider, York, Heinola, Thomson. Then pick up another D with the 2nd (# 40), like Korczak or McCarthy.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Hutton - Rafferty

Juolevi - Biega

Rathbone - Woo

York - Korczak

who is going to give them a ist round pick for tanev and pouliot. tanev is injury and pouliot might get you a 7th round. trading juolevi  and virtanen, might get you a ist round pick. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

If the Canucks don't get a lotto pick, I think they'll draft a forward with their 1st.

Benning could potentially solidify the future D this off season. Some ifs, but if Benning can trade Tanev and Pouliot and ?, for another mid-late 1st, they could maybe get Seider, York, Heinola, Thomson. Then pick up another D with the 2nd (# 40), like Korczak or McCarthy.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Hutton - Rafferty

Juolevi - Biega

Rathbone - Woo

York - Korczak

The more I read, the more I am thinking that the Canucks will take a forward with their 1st...….just too many good ones

I also think that the Canucks will get either another late 1st or early 2nd and draft 2 Dmen...…..it just make sense

We have 1 Dman for sure coming online next year in Hughes and another in Juolevi, who looks to be coming online

With a 3rd, working his way out of Junior...……..

With at he Canucks going after a UFA Dman.....we will have time to sort that out

Where as being in the 9th position, allows us to take a winger that will be good with a much better chance of being elite

There are a lot of variables out there......

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

The more I read, the more I am thinking that the Canucks will take a forward with their 1st...….just too many good ones

I also think that the Canucks will get either another late 1st or early 2nd and draft 2 Dmen...…..it just make sense

We have 1 Dman for sure coming online next year in Hughes and another in Juolevi, who looks to be coming online

With a 3rd, working his way out of Junior...……..

With at he Canucks going after a UFA Dman.....we will have time to sort that out

Where as being in the 9th position, allows us to take a winger that will be good with a much better chance of being elite

There are a lot of variables out there......

Don't forget Briesbois, he was the same draft as Boes and looks like he's going to be a solid #4-6 dman.  He's still waiver exempt, so he may end up, primarily, in Utica, but he's pretty close to being ready to make the jump full time.

21 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I definitely get that gut feeling that the Canucks are going to move up in the draft

i don’t think they get 1st overall though 

This is the first year where the 1OA isn’t a big deal for me as long as we get 2 or 3. Hughes would be great but Kakko or Byram would also be two pieces that would be of immense help to our rebuild. Here’s hoping for any of 1,2 or 3! 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't forget Briesbois, he was the same draft as Boes and looks like he's going to be a solid #4-6 dman.  He's still waiver exempt, so he may end up, primarily, in Utica, but he's pretty close to being ready to make the jump full time.

JB seems to love this prospect so you can guarantee he's gonna play. I don't think he's a liability which is key. I just don't really see him as more than a 7/8 depth guy for the foreseeable future. 

8 games 0pts -4 for the canucks 

49 games 11 pts for Utica +/- 4 pims 22 

just doesn't scream being anywhere near a 5/6 Dfor us. He's not a big hitter or a fighter or shooter???? Somebody fill me in here he's decent defensively but he's no Tanev. From what I can tell he doesnt really create anything on the ice good or bad he's a decent uneventful minute filler. I have absolutely nothing against him just can't see what JB sees in him. Obviously I trust JB knows far more than I on this kid. Hopefully he tapps into something and can be a top 6 D for us. I don't want our bottom pairing to just be guys who can tread water though I would like to see Edler Tanev play matchups, Hughes XXX give defending teams fits and our bottom pair Hughes Stetcher give us that utility unit Hold the line, gain the zone, stuff a rush take some pressure off of the top 2 pairings.   

12 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Yes - easier said than done because there are so many teams in on him.

If he does choose the Canucks, though, and that's if they've expressed interest, there would be less pressure to draft a defenceman.

We could gift him a prominent role and give him max $...but so could many other teams. Interesting prospect, but has there been a D from europe who has signed as a FA who has become an impact top 4 D in the NHL, without being drafted?

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

JB seems to love this prospect so you can guarantee he's gonna play. I don't think he's a liability which is key. I just don't really see him as more than a 7/8 depth guy for the foreseeable future. 

8 games 0pts -4 for the canucks 

49 games 11 pts for Utica +/- 4 pims 22 

just doesn't scream being anywhere near a 5/6 Dfor us. He's not a big hitter or a fighter or shooter???? Somebody fill me in here he's decent defensively but he's no Tanev. From what I can tell he doesnt really create anything on the ice good or bad he's a decent uneventful minute filler. I have absolutely nothing against him just can't see what JB sees in him. Obviously I trust JB knows far more than I on this kid. Hopefully he tapps into something and can be a top 6 D for us. I don't want our bottom pairing to just be guys who can tread water though I would like to see Edler Tanev play matchups, Hughes XXX give defending teams fits and our bottom pair Hughes Stetcher give us that utility unit Hold the line, gain the zone, stuff a rush take some pressure off of the top 2 pairings.   

Still young, only 21 I think. He has a physical element to his game, makes good outlet passes and is sound defensively. Doubt he ever becomes more then a third pair guy but all you want out of a third pair is to be good in your own end and transition the puck well. Has more offence to his game then Tanev.

I imagine the 3 year plan is to sign Edler for 2 years. Trade Hutton within the next year and incorporate Hughes this offseason and Juolevi around the deadline. Then in 1.5 years trade Edler at the deadline or let him walk as a UFA.

Start of 2019-20 year         2020 Deadline                                                                           2021 Deadline/Offseason

Edler-Stecher                     Edler-Rafferty(or Chatfield, or free agent priskie/kaski             Hughes-UFA(Myers)

Hutton-Tanev                     Hughes-UFA(Myers)                                                                  Juolevi-Stecher

Hughes-UFA(Myers)          Juolevi-Stecher                                                                          Brisebois/Teves/Rathbone-Rafferty/Chatfield/Woo

Sautner-Schenn                 Sautner-Schenn

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Still young, only 21 I think. He has a physical element to his game, makes good outlet passes and is sound defensively. Doubt he ever becomes more then a third pair guy but all you want out of a third pair is to be good in your own end and transition the puck well. Has more offence to his game then Tanev.

I imagine the 3 year plan is to sign Edler for 2 years. Trade Hutton within the next year and incorporate Hughes this offseason and Juolevi around the deadline. Then in 1.5 years trade Edler at the deadline or let him walk as a UFA.

Start of 2019-20 year         2020 Deadline                                                                           2021 Deadline/Offseason

Edler-Stecher                     Edler-Rafferty(or Chatfield, or free agent priskie/kaski             Hughes-UFA(Myers)

Hutton-Tanev                     Hughes-UFA(Myers)                                                                  Juolevi-Stecher

Hughes-UFA(Myers)          Juolevi-Stecher                                                                          Brisebois/Teves/Rathbone-Rafferty/Chatfield/Woo

Sautner-Schenn                 Sautner-Schenn

Image result for that escalated quickly

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd stay away from any dman in the #4-12 range, imo, but I'm not one for dmen in the top 10, in general.  

Yea I’ve only seen Byram, and I’m completely sold on him 

I haven’t seen soderstrom/broberg/heinola play 

I have just heard and read reports and watched highlights on them so hard to rank them against the highly skilled forwards I’ve seen lots of 

juat put out soderstrom there cause Benning did say there are a couple dmen in the first round that he likes a little while ago so we have to consider he may take one depending on how the board goes

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

It's really hard to pinpoint one player in that 9-12 range. 

I'm hoping for Newhook, Caufield, Boldy or one of the guys who drop Turcotte, Dach, Byram, Podkolzin. 

I think I'm out on Cousins he reminds me too much of Virtanen he's a straight line player seems low on IQ he gets the puck and just sheds up ice and either powers to the net or gets stuffed at the blueline. His passing is wildly inconsistent  and doesn't seem to use the players around him well. He is a one man highlight reel. Good shot, excellent speed, great size, just feel like the other players on the ice may as well be out for a swim when he gets the puck.

I keep watching Krebs hoping to see what others see in him  and he consistently disappoints me with one hand on the stick all the time not bearing down on pucks brutal turnovers for odd man rushes and breakaways. There is no doubt that his offense is very high end and the little things can be taught but he has some glaringly brutal habits coupled with him developing on one of the worst teams in the W for another 2 years unless traded I'm not seeing the Krebs others seem to see. 

Zegras is interesting I haven't really been able to get a read on him from watching his shift by shifts he's a bit of a chameleon 

What do you mean you keep watching krebs?

Like you rewatch highlights and aren’t impressed by them?

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Yea I’ve only seen Byram, and I’m completely sold on him 

I haven’t seen soderstrom/broberg/heinola play 

I have just heard and read reports and watched highlights on them so hard to rank them against the highly skilled forwards I’ve seen lots of 

juat put out soderstrom there cause Benning did say there are a couple dmen in the first round that he likes a little while ago so we have to consider he may take one depending on how the board goes

If Soderstrom is there at 9 there could be a case made of him being BPA. I like Krebs and Boldy if available but would also be happy with Soderstrom.

Benning expressing interest in selecting a dman makes me think he could reach. Like say Soderstrom is gone and he’s picking Broberg over Boldy, Krebs and Zegras.

I also wonder if we win one of the top 2 picks if Benning would shock the NHL world positionally hunting and picks Byram over Hughes or Kakko.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

What do you mean you keep watching krebs?

Like you rewatch highlights and aren’t impressed by them?

I stay away from highlight reels! Try to watch games or shift by shifts. I have watched several of Krebs games hoping to see the player people are excited about. Keep seeing this kid skating around with one hand in the stick getting it knocked out of his hand all the time and turning pucks over for odd man rushes against. he sure has lots of points but he's also on the ice for half of the team's goals against each night many of which are the direct result of him. I did a synopsis of a shift by shift I watched the other day there were some very good plays but not enough to outweigh his poor ones or for me to think of him remotely as a top 10 pick compared to watching other prospects games. 

Edited by hammertime

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching Blades/Raiders game 2. Beautiful goal by Dach to open the scoring.

Draft him lmao. A 6'4 200lbs centerman that can do that

Spezza like 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1