The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Kinda like the immediate reaction after Pettersson was selected.

I doubt Benning would pick Byram to fill a position of need (Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone, etc) so if he does get picked then Benning and crew genuinely believe he's the better player. With said said, I doubt it happens anyway.

That is so true. I remember my first reaction to Pettersson wasn't pure joy and exhilaration. lol I didn't even have him on my radar at #5. Benning knows a lot more about these prospects than I do. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So there are D considered around that #10 spot. Its not exactly a Juolevi situation. 

Um what exactly is th juolevi situation, he wasn't really off the board if that's what you are saying.

• Cheers 1

I think Benning will be under a lot of pressure from Aquilini to trade to first overall if we don't win the lottery, or at least attempt to. 

4 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Everyone on here sure does over rate Byram 

he will go 5th/6th 

he wont get picked over kakko

It's not that we over rate him, he he is deserving of going in the #3 spot but you might be right in that teams will take centers over Dmen with such a high pick. The odds of Dmen working out top5 as #1 D pair are not as high as say a center that is drafted top 5 in the draft. Not to mention they tend to have less fanfare than a forward, they are harder to sell to an uneducated crowd who want flashy forwards. There's reasonable thought that Byram could slip as far as 6 but if that's the case I think whoever gets him there will be getting a hell of a steal.

50 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol i did not  make it, i found it online. apparently he wants to play with Peterson

Could you imagine

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-FA/Trade

Prepared to lose lotto tomorrow though haha 

17 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Could you imagine

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-FA/Trade

Prepared to lose lotto tomorrow though haha 

Gaudette+Juolevi+2020 1st for Kakko

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kakko

I know it wont happen but dare to dream for that top 6 next year.

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kakko

The team will want more certainty and the 2019 pick. There’s a reason 1rst round picks aren’t moved often. I think it would take Horvat and our 2019 1rst.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Um what exactly is th juolevi situation, he wasn't really off the board if that's what you are saying.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

What exactly is "a Juolevi situation"?

Bob McKenzie had him at #6 and as I'm sure you know, his list is made using the opinions and rankings from 10 NHL scouts. He was never an off the board pick.

https://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Broberg or Soderstrom clearly wouldn't be off the board in the 9-12 spot this year either. U18s will offer the opportunity to see Soderstrom and Broberg play together, likely on a pairing. That will be an excellent tool to evaluate them against each other, as well as against other potential top 15 picks in the tournament. 

I'm most excited to watch Broberg and Podkolzin. They were easily the 2 best 2019 draft eligible players in the 2018 Hlinka Gretzky Cup to start off the season. Both have undoubtedly been riding the wave from that tournament when it comes to their draft rankings. I believe a poor U18 tournament from either player could really affect their draft stock and wouldn't be surprised to see them slide significantly in rankings. If they both dominate the tournament like they did the Hlinka Gretzky, it will lock then in as top picks.

No wasnt off the board, but Juolevi was in the next tier of players. Tkachuk was across the board a top 5 guy, whereas Juolevi was ranked from 6-12 by different scouting services. We picked right at the end of that tier & instead dipped into the tier below for a positional pick.

I bring that up because 1) I see other ppl bringing the Juolevi pick up regarding taking a D at 9-10, and 2) I dont see it as a situation like that where a D neccesarily isnt in the tier of players where we pick. 

If Boldy or Krebs or Zegras project as a 2nd line FWD, or maybe borderline 1st line. And Soderstrom projects as a good #3D or maybe #2D. Is that really a reach?

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No wasnt off the board, but Juolevi was in the next tier of players. Tkachuk was across the board a top 5 guy, whereas Juolevi was ranked from 6-12 by different scouting services. We picked right at the end of that tier & instead dipped into the tier below for a positional pick.

I bring that up because 1) I see other ppl bringing the Juolevi pick up regarding taking a D at 9-10, and 2) I dont see it as a situation like that where a D neccesarily isnt in the tier of players where we pick. 

If Boldy or Krebs or Zegras project as a 2nd line FWD, or maybe borderline 1st line. And Soderstrom projects as a good #3D or maybe #2D. Is that really a reach?

I agree the juolevi pick seemed like more of a "follow your heart" scenario instead of going BPA. I loved the juolevi pick at the time because he was selection earlier in the year. Hopefully he can the injury bug.

49 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I agree the juolevi pick seemed like more of a "follow your heart" scenario instead of going BPA. I loved the juolevi pick at the time because he was selection earlier in the year. Hopefully he can the injury bug.

Disagree juolevi had a monster year and was high on many scouts / analysts lists 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kakko

Hey I’m not one to poop on dreams, I’m certainly a dreamer as well! Haha

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kakko

I doubt Horvat + Hughes + 2020 1st would get us Kakko, let alone that.

It's not gonna be worth it IMO.

52 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Not saying he wasnt, I wanted juolevi too. My point is that Tkachuk was BPA.

I thought that was pretty obvious to everyone that MT was the most NHL ready player and whose size and scoring filled a need too up front.

Hopefully we get a shot at Kakko for the proverbial second chance. btw this is why I avoid OJ's thread. the pain. lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1