The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

14 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He’s going to go a lot earlier than the rankings suggest. 84 scouts? Lol that means teams sent teams of scouts to watch him

This Seider kid has that non measurable “it” factor.  Petey has “it” too.  There’s just something about certain guys that makes them stand out as better than the rest.  I’m hoping we get this guy.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thanks.

I didn't think you would be able to show me my quote where I said one player is better than other. 

I recommend enjoying a discussion and not just trying to be right or win argurmemts. 

Personally I don't care if im right or wrong. I want to know what the facts are. 

Fact is Parayko is no 4d or 3D. You should be thankful I did the research for you and showed you. 

Now I'm done. Enjoy your stay here on CDC. 

The coach in St. Louis has shown with his ice time, in the Regular season, playoffs and historically that he is a #3.

his place is behind Peiterangelo- these are facts

sorry you can’t accept that factual reality 

I’ve show you the data, I’ve shown you the depth chart. I’m not sure how you think that should be ignored over your opinion but good for you 

AEAE5BAC-F2F5-4968-AD24-9E301BD54F37.jpeg

A4A230B1-9366-4CF9-B823-5D02696F4768.jpeg

5BD4F8B0-88C8-4742-9505-D5FE7B02F4A3.jpeg

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Wat 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Would be great if the Canucks could get another 1st. Never mind moving up, its too expensive. Or trading down, they need a top 10 pick. Three picks in the Top 40 would help team depth. 

The cost would be very high for a 1st rounder.. I'm not sure we can afford it. 

Schneider got a 9th when we traded him. Something very nice would have to go the other way.

Best time to get picks was the trade deadline..

I don't see it happening.. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This Seider kid has that non measurable “it” factor.  Petey has “it” too.  There’s just something about certain guys that makes them stand out as better than the rest.  I’m hoping we get this guy.  

What would you do trade down to around 20th and  pick up another 2nd or 3rd ? 

Or hope he falls to us in 2nd round 

I have a feeling Canucks will pick Krebs. On all most all the rankings i‘ve seen Krebs is always 10. Every other player outside the top 5 is all over the place in rankings except for at 10 is always Krebs.  Minus 50 Krebs. 

• Upvote 1

Getting another pick in the top 40 would be awesome. I've already talked about Dorofeyev and how I think his ceiling is really high, but there are a lot of other players who could be available as well. Guys like Puistola, Bjornfot, McMichael, Brink, Thomson, Korczak, Rees, Kokkonen, Grewe, Hoglander, etc. have a chance to be there at our pick and securing two of them instead of one would be huge. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Would be great if the Canucks could get another 1st. Never mind moving up, its too expensive. Or trading down, they need a top 10 pick. Three picks in the Top 40 would help team depth. 

Agreed that we should keep 10 and it would be great to get another to take Sieder.  Our 2nd ++ likely

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Other than the second tier D men, it feels like it may come down to:

Podkolzin

Caufield

Krebs

They each have their pros and cons but if those were the options who do you take?  To me I’d be willing to take the risk and go Podkolzin.

I go defence at #10 UNLESS Boldy or Podkolzin are available... in that order.  Otherwise, Broberg, but I would be quite happy with Krebs as well.  Cool thing is we'll have a shot at atlest two of these guys.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Ducks could be interested in drafting York at #9. Ducks need a Dman, York’s from Anaheim plus Scott Niedermayer was coaching him.

if that happens it opens up another top player at the #10 spot.

would be suprised if they go with a D-Man at #9

my best guess is that they will draft the best center available, one out of Dach, Krebs ,Zegras - in this order.

Zegras is the most likely player they are going to draft.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

What would you do trade down to around 20th and  pick up another 2nd or 3rd ? 

Or hope he falls to us in 2nd round 

4. We’ll see a run of five defensemen selected in sequence from 12-16

The top end of this class is the near opposite of 2018. Last June we saw five defenders selected by the 12th pick. Ty Smith wasn’t far behind at 17th overall, and if he were in this class, he would be the consensus second-best blueliner available. 2019 will test the mettle of scouts and GMs. Does your team want to improve its backend depth? Well, you’ll have to take a swing on a handful of players pegged in the 15-25 range. Once one goes, the run will begin.

Starting with Minnesota and running through Florida, Arizona, Montreal and Colorado we will see five consecutive defenders taken. Those defenders will be some mix of Victor Soderstrom, Cam York, Ville Heinola, Moritz Seider and Thomas Harley

This theory hinges on the Avalanche selecting a forward with their first pick (fourth overall) – which is highly likely unless Byram is sitting there. Each one of those squads will be looking to add a defender to their pipeline and with the dip in talent at the forward position at that portion of the draft, a D-run is looking plausible. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He’s going to go a lot earlier than the rankings suggest. 84 scouts? Lol that means teams sent teams of scouts to watch him

scouts from all 31 NHL teams did scout him during the regular DEL season.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

My guy is still Mortiz Seider. Really hope we nab him. 

The fact that he can play in the AHL next season unless he completely shines in training camp is also a very nice asset.

Seider looks NHL ready too. Draisaitl even said Seider plays like a 30 year old veteran

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

The Above Average 2019 draft

I canvassed NHL draft experts on the quality of this draft. The consensus seems to be this is a B/B+ draft.

Not great, not bad, but good, maybe even very good.

Here are their responses:

Cam Robinson @Hockey_Robinson
It may sound vanilla of me, but I’d rate this class around a B. It offers two elite, non-generational talents at the top. A handful of potentially impactful forwards. A possibly elite D and G, and then something of a mixed bag. 2020 is shaping up to be an A. Get excited for that.

Scott Wheeler @scottcwheeler of The Athletic:
B/B+ due to the depth of high-end Cs. I’d probably rank the last five drafts (tentatively) like this:
1. 2015
2. 2016
3. 2019 (with room to catch 2016 and room to fall behind 2018).
4. 2018
5. 2017

This draft is weak at D. Decent depth at goalie. Two A-level guys at the top.

Steve Kournianos @TheDraftAnalyst
Best draft after 2015 & 2018. Best center draft since 2015. Best goalie draft in years. Deep in Euro defensemen but not CHL. Best USHL crop in years. Historic NTDP group likely gets 7 players in top-20.

2015 A+
2018 A
2019 A-
2016 B+
2014 B
2017 B-

Ryan Kennedy @THNRyanKennedy
I would give it a solid ‘B.’ You’re getting two sure things in Hughes and Kakko, plus another tier with loads of potential (Turcotte, Byram, Cozens, Caufield, etc.)… I usually think of recent drafts based off the high end. So this year isn’t McDavid/Eichel or Matthews/Laine, but probably better than Hischier/Patrick

HockeyProspect.com @ScoutingService
Top 2 are in their own tier, very different players but both getting ranked #1 overall by team Scouts we’ve spoken to. 1st round as a whole would be weaker than recent drafts. Probably rate Rounds 2-7 weaker than recent drafts but probably not quite as bad as we initially thought… 3-12ish is a solid group. 1st round falls off more after that. Weak OHL class is a big factor. Without the great USNTDP group this 1st round would be really ugly.

Chris Peters @chrismpeters of ESON
I tend to agree with the answers you already got. I think it’s B, B+. I like the draft as a whole better than last years, but 2015 and 2016 were exceptional in comparison. Think 2019 Top 12 is excellent, tapers off more beyond that. Still good value beyond, but not exceptional.

• Upvote 2