The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, stawns said:

What's the avg for dmen?  I'd he ok with it, if not for Stetcher (not that I think Stetcher is soft, just small) and Hughes.  Watching the playoffs, it's tough out there for dmen, very physical.  It's different for fwds, but there's no getting around size and toughness for dmen.

Soderstrom does things that both Stetcher and Hughes won’t do and that’s hit.

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Soderstrom does things that both Stetcher and Hughes won’t do and that’s hit.

At 5'11 and 175 (I get he will grow), he's not going to be able to do that effectively in the NHL 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

You definitely have a point about average defenceman size. I couldn't find that in 3 minutes of googling but if I had to guess I'd add an inch and 7 pounds to that number. Still not in the "pretty small" column.

As for size and toughness who were you thinking of drafting with both? Broberg is a big man that is a great skater but isn't very physical and needs to work on his defensive game. Seider has the size but from what I've seen he doesnt play a rough and tumble game (he is also a reach at 10).

Jim has talked at lengths about mobile D that can get back to the pucks fast and transition smoothly. Between that and being a puck moving right handed D I think it's too much for him to pass on. It just depends who else slides down, might be to big of a big gap to pass on the BPA.

There is always the option of taking a highly rated forward at 10 and taking a Defenceman at 40 or trading up into the top of the first and taking one.

There is a lot that has yet to shake out and my opinion could change as more scouting reports come out. Either way I'm very confident that Jim will get a very good player.

On fwd, size is less important if that fwd has the right motor and style, which is why I like Caufield in that spot, despite being wee.  More often than not, they are the ones initiating contact, as opposed to dmen who are the ones being pressured.

I like fwds in the first round because if they don't pan out to be the player you expect, they can usually be groomed for a different role.  If a dman doesn't pan out, there aren't a lot of other options and you end up with Pouliot (who I still like, incidentally).

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

C'mon, cherry picking a hit or two is a long way from being a physical presence.  I love Stetcher, but he gets out muscled a lot during a game.  Adding another smallish dman to a dcorp with small guys already just doesn't seem wise when you see how physical the playoffs are.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Unless I don’t recall correctly(entirely possible) he was in he top 3-5 of mock drafts before the season started.  Just the question of his skill against top competition.  We could see him vault up the standings.

He could. I liked that he found that separation gear that i found was lacking at certain points this year. The one thing that i like about newhook is his hand eye coordination and overall athleticism is better then alot of the top ten guys in this draft. 

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I never want to hear you speak well of Hughes again then ;)

:emot-parrot:

Draft BPA, personally I want Boldy or Soderstrom, but Benning knows best.

Soderstrom is being overvalued heavily. I like his overall game, but to say he is a top ten pick is overstretching it a bit. He is no better then york.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Isam said:

Soderstrom is being overvalued heavily. I like his overall game, but to say he is a top ten pick is overstretching it a bit. He is no better then york.

Broberg has a higher ceiling than Soderstrom and York.  I’m really on this kid’s band wagon.  I doubt he makes it to ten though.  I think he goes top five.  

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

You definitely have a point about average defenceman size. I couldn't find that in 3 minutes of googling but if I had to guess I'd add an inch and 7 pounds to that number. Still not in the "pretty small" column.

As for size and toughness who were you thinking of drafting with both? Broberg is a big man that is a great skater but isn't very physical and needs to work on his defensive game. Seider has the size but from what I've seen he doesnt play a rough and tumble game (he is also a reach at 10).

Jim has talked at lengths about mobile D that can get back to the pucks fast and transition smoothly. Between that and being a puck moving right handed D I think it's too much for him to pass on. It just depends who else slides down, might be to big of a big gap to pass on the BPA.

There is always the option of taking a highly rated forward at 10 and taking a Defenceman at 40 or trading up into the top of the first and taking one.

There is a lot that has yet to shake out and my opinion could change as more scouting reports come out. Either way I'm very confident that Jim will get a very good player.

I'll just leave this right here for you. Also, I think the only reason he's a reach is because nobody is going to Germany just to see him. It's not like there is anyone else to scout while they are there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

C'mon, cherry picking a hit or two is a long way from being a physical presence.  I love Stetcher, but he gets out muscled a lot during a game.  Adding another smallish dman to a dcorp with small guys already just doesn't seem wise when you see how physical the playoffs are.

I don't want to build a small defense core that's easily pushed around either, but that shouldn't necessarily be the driving force behind deciding who you want to pick. You always pick whoever you have as BPA and then manage afterwards. If we drafted Soderstrom, we could work a trade around Stetcher for Kapanen as an example. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Broberg has a higher ceiling than Soderstrom and York.  I’m really on this kid’s band wagon.  I doubt he makes it to ten though.  I think he goes top five.  

Actually i like seider alf. He has the higher ceiling. But the main reason why idont want to reach on a rhd is because drysdale and barron are way better options next year then soderstrom.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'll just leave this right here for you. Also, I think the only reason he's a reach is because nobody is going to Germany just to see him. It's not like there is anyone else to scout while they are there.

How could we get both Broberg and Seider? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Isam said:

Actually i like seider alf. He has the higher ceiling. But the main reason why idont want to reach on a rhd is because drysdale and barron are way better options next year then soderstrom.

I just posted a question on how to get both Broberg and Seider?  

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't want to build a small defense core that's easily pushed around either, but that shouldn't necessarily be the driving force behind deciding who you want to pick. You always pick whoever you have as BPA and then manage afterwards. If we drafted Soderstrom, we could work a trade around Stetcher for Kapanen as an example. 

I don't agree with BPA being the holy grail of the draft, especially in the first and second rounds.  Those picks can, and should, be as much (or more) about organizational need, imo