The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I like the sounds of Seidel too, but wish he was playing in the CHL.  I’d the league he’s in now any good?

German mens league. The DEL is decent. A few NHLers went during the lockout Daniel Briere, Blake Wheeler, Jamie Benn, Goc, Stazny, Giroux none tore it up like Dutch Gretz. It's certainly a far superior league to the CHL.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Seider wouldn't necessarily be an off the board pick but it would be a bold one. 

Agreed. Would definitely be a bold pick but I'd support him if his team thought he was the best player with the best possible upside. Like I've said before, it's not how your ranked at the time of the draft as that is only a snapshot at any given time, it's how you project and what your ultimate upside will be. I think Seider has an amazing upside and definitely can be a #1 - #2 D man in this league. Is it likely? Probably not in the way of generating significant offense although I've said I think he can be a 25-35 point guy playing on your top defense pairing with the odd 40 point year. These projections are only based on a 'snap-shot' of how he has developed up to today. If he has a significant progression next season then his upside could be a lot higher. Personally I think they should trade down 2-3 draft spots and try to get him there rather than take him at the 10th overall pick.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like the sounds of Seidel too, but wish he was playing in the CHL.  I’d the league he’s in now any good?

Trust me, you'd rather he develop in a pro league, even if it's the german DEL. Generally speaking D-men just tend to develop better in men's leagues. However the option is always there for him to come over as early as next season if you draft him, or you can leave him where he is for one more season. I'm not for or against either option although I think he 'may' have a better development path as he's already proven in that league by winning rookie of the year so he will get tons of minutes. He will also be a star in the league in the sense that I'm sure lots of people will want to see who the next german NHLer might be so he will get a lot more attention both on the ice and off the ice.

• Upvote 1

See lots want us to give up the farm to draft Byram...Ice a team full of Left shot D? 

We should not be trading up and giving up additional assets...assets we barely have and definitely none we should be giving away. Team needs all the chances of striking Gold with all picks and prospects.

Stay the course, draft who we draft and hope it works out

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Zegras if he were to fall to 10... I can't remember where I read it but I have seen comparisons between Zegras and none other than Jack Hughes... Zegras being more of a perimeter player of course, but without a doubt overflowing with skill. playmaking ability, and speed - all of which the Canucks seem to place a priority. Also can play C/LW. Benning has gone on the record saying he wants more scoring punch in the lineup, and this would fill a big organizational need if Zegras were to play LW for us.

Wouldn't be surprised if Benning jubilantly runs up to the podium on draft day to announce Zegras as the pick... much like he did with Quinn Hughes.

"I'm so excited for our fans right now"

On 3/18/2019 at 3:01 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

according to the managing director of the Mannheim Adler, Daniel Hopp some NHL scouts made all the way from north-america to Germany to watch Moritz Seider's game in the playoffs. Seider was named rookie of the year in Germany's top league, DEL.

Moritz Seider: RHD, 6.4. 198 lbs.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/258987/moritz-seider

He went through the same youth organization as Leon Draisaitl. 

HockeyProspects.com #12

Future Considerations #17 

Corey Pronman of TheAthletic.com #24

I don't put much stake in anything Pronman says/ranks.

Ie - I think he had Pettersson at #17 in 2017.  I always take his rankings with a full shaker of salt.

hockeyprospect is a far better source imo - and have him at 11, one spot ahead of Soderstrom.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I don't put much stake in anything Pronman says/ranks.

Ie - I think he had Pettersson at #17 in 2017.  I always take his rankings with a full shaker of salt.

hockeyprospect is a far better source imo - and have him at 11, one spot ahead of Soderstrom.

Pronman didn't have Boeser in the 1st round either. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think durability should be a factor for who we pick. Its the Canucks so of course their going to get hurt, but how much games missed is a big question?

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He's gonna go under the radar like Brock Boeser. His numbers are nothing to scoff at. 

I would even say he's far more developed than many USDP players that are going in the 1st round. Probably going late 1st round.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think durability should be a factor for who we pick. Its the Canucks so of course their going to get hurt, but how much games missed is a big question?

This doesn't seem to matter no longer as whoever we pick usually ends up having an injury at some point down the road. I'm pretty sure Virtanen is the only player we've drafted that had injury problems.

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

This doesn't seem to matter no longer as whoever we pick usually ends up having an injury at some point down the road. I'm pretty sure Virtanen is the only player we've drafted that had injury problems.

Horvat was injured his first season had to spend the start of the season in Utica

Petterson broken thumb 

Boeser injured back 

Demko concussion in Utica 

Juolevi knee and back 

hughes fractured foot 

Cole Lind and Gadjovich spent a lot of time injured this season 

6 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Horvat was injured his first season had to spend the start of the season in Utica

Petterson broken thumb 

Boeser injured back 

Juolevi knee and back 

hughes fractured foot 

Virtanen shoulder surgery

Mccann mono

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

He's gonna go under the radar like Brock Boeser. His numbers are nothing to scoff at. 

I would even say he's far more developed than many USDP players that are going in the 1st round. Probably going late 1st round.

He is an "old" draft eligible, turned 18 last october. So I think that will affect where he is selected. If he was younger he would be a higher pick for sure. Interesting prospect, can't deny his season thats for sure

16 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I need some help here. How do we know who is durable and who isn't ? Capt Hindsight usually appears a couple of years after the fact, never before !

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Petterson broken thumb 

Boeser injured back 

Juolevi knee and back 

hughes fractured foot 

I meant that Virtanen was the only significant pick that had injury problems before being drafted but this list is staggering to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I meant that Virtanen was the only significant pick that had injury problems before being drafted but this list is staggering to say the least.

I know it's not in your time frame, but a few of us remember JJ Daigneault coming on to the draft stage on crutches. ( evidently it caught the Canucks by surprise too ! )

56 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Thought I'd mention this as well since there's been a lot of talk about Seider. He's had two injuries  (shoulder?) where he missed 3-5 weeks during the season so I guess that could be a knock against him.

3 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Petterson broken thumb 

Boeser injured back 

Juolevi knee and back 

hughes fractured foot 

It was a bone bruise, not a fracture.