The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Heres hoping you're right! But it is a possibility the last 4 you mentioned might fall to us. Im almost guaranteeing that another defenseman will slide into the top 10. There is no way the draft ends up with the top 10 with only 1 defenseman drafted, its too much of a need for a lot of teams, especially the Red Wings, Oilers, and Ducks. Turcotte could drop because he missed games, kind of like Matt Barzal who was also injured for some time during his draft year who talent wise, was easily in the top 10-12

He had 2 in his top 10... Byram at 4 and Soderstrom at 9.

• Upvote 1

Just now, coryberg said:

He had 2 in his top 10... Byram at 4 and Soderstrom at 9.

If those two D men go 4 and 9 that leaves Broberg for us.  IMO Broberg will be the most dominant D coming out of this draft.  He’s, big, skilled, smart, hyper competitive, and wants to dominate any game he’s in.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If those two D men go 4 and 9 that leaves Broberg for us.  IMO Broberg will be the most dominant D coming out of this draft.  He’s, big, skilled, smart, hyper competitive, and wants to dominate any game he’s in.  

I have a feeling Soderstrom will be there at 10 and we will take him. That's the elusive right shot puck moving dman that Jim has wanted since the start. No matter what we are going to get a very good player at 10, lots of good players in this draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I have a feeling Soderstrom will be there at 10 and we will take him. That's the elusive right shot puck moving dman that Jim has wanted since the start. No matter what we are going to get a very good player at 10, lots of good players in this draft.

I didn't not think so, he's pretty small and they e already got Stetcher and Hughes back there.  They need some size back there to go where the the skill.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

I didn't not think so, he's pretty small and they e already got Stetcher and Hughes back there.  They need some size back there to go where the the skill.  

Broberg is 6’3” and already over 200lbs.  I just think he’s too impressive a player to slip to 10.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say pretty small is a bit harsh.

He is 5'11 175lbs at age 17, chances are he ends up at 6 feet 195 in a few years.

The NHL average is 6'1 201lbs. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Newhook with the hattrick.

The main takeaway here is that Belarus scored 5 goals. What's our goalie smoking, wadr to Belarus

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I would say pretty small is a bit harsh.

He is 5'11 175lbs at age 17, chances are he ends up at 6 feet 195 in a few years.

The NHL average is 6'1 201lbs. 

What's the avg for dmen?  I'd he ok with it, if not for Stetcher (not that I think Stetcher is soft, just small) and Hughes.  Watching the playoffs, it's tough out there for dmen, very physical.  It's different for fwds, but there's no getting around size and toughness for dmen.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's the avg for dmen?  I'd he ok with it, if not for Stetcher (not that I think Stetcher is soft, just small) and Hughes.  Watching the playoffs, it's tough out there for dmen, very physical.  It's different for fwds, but there's no getting around size and toughness for dmen.

yes but as long as you have a balanced mix it should be fine. With the pace of playoffs you want guys that can quickly transition as well.

Hughes-Woo

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

Juolevi-Stecher

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

yes but as long as you have a balanced mix it should be fine. With the pace of playoffs you want guys that can quickly transition as well.

Hughes-Woo

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

Juolevi-Stecher

I think you can get a near equal dman later in the draft.  Unless a dman is a "can't pass up" kind of player, I'm not a fan of them in the first round.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Size is nice, but you gotta move the puck. Gudbranson is big didn’t hell him get pucks outta our zone. Hell I seen him fumble the puck against the Isles and get scored on. Tired of seeing this team suck at moving the puck. A 6 foot d-man isn’t small and he can move the puck. Sign me up. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you can get a near equal dman later in the draft.  Unless a dman is a "can't pass up" kind of player, I'm not a fan of them in the first round.

I never want to hear you speak well of Hughes again then ;)

:emot-parrot:

Draft BPA, personally I want Boldy or Soderstrom, but Benning knows best.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You definitely have a point about average defenceman size. I couldn't find that in 3 minutes of googling but if I had to guess I'd add an inch and 7 pounds to that number. Still not in the "pretty small" column.

As for size and toughness who were you thinking of drafting with both? Broberg is a big man that is a great skater but isn't very physical and needs to work on his defensive game. Seider has the size but from what I've seen he doesnt play a rough and tumble game (he is also a reach at 10).

Jim has talked at lengths about mobile D that can get back to the pucks fast and transition smoothly. Between that and being a puck moving right handed D I think it's too much for him to pass on. It just depends who else slides down, might be to big of a big gap to pass on the BPA.

There is always the option of taking a highly rated forward at 10 and taking a Defenceman at 40 or trading up into the top of the first and taking one.

There is a lot that has yet to shake out and my opinion could change as more scouting reports come out. Either way I'm very confident that Jim will get a very good player.

Edited by coryberg

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

who were you thinking of drafting with both?

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Question answered.

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

It just depends who else slides down, might be to big of a big gap to pass on the BPA.

There is always the option of taking a highly rated forward at 10 and taking a Defenceman at 40 or trading up into the top of the first and taking one.

Common ground

Edited by coryberg
Hadn't read your last post before my last post

1 hour ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Newhook with the hattrick.

Unless I don’t recall correctly(entirely possible) he was in he top 3-5 of mock drafts before the season started.  Just the question of his skill against top competition.  We could see him vault up the standings.

• Upvote 1