The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Here's a more complete context of his comments:

The Canucks have serious interest in Swedish defenceman Victor Soderstrom, but if one of the elite U.S. National Development Team forwards falls to No. 10 — especially winger Matthew Boldy or perhaps teammate Trevor Zegras — there might be a temptation to take a forward and then a blueliner in the second round. Moving up is an option, but than will mean swapping first-round picks with the Detroit Red Wings at No. 6 and also parting with the second-rounder.

“I feel we’re going to get a good player at No.10, so depending on what the cost is to move up, we’ll look into it,” said Benning. “But if it’s too much and we have to give up a second-round pick, that’s too much because the draft is deep enough.

“And you just don’t know how the draft is going to fall. We could have a player rated in the top six falling to us at 10.

“The last couple of drafts, we’ve been lucky with players we really like falling into our lap (Quinn Hughes, Elias Pettersson) and we hope that happens again this year.”

That could mean Boldy slipping three spots and Zegras two positions. But if they’re already gone, Soderstrom should be sitting there. Same with blue-line countryman Philip Broberg.

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

There also seems to be some editorial assumptions made by Kuzma re: where guys are ranked... so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think from those comments and his comments last year, Benning will probably take a center or Dman at 10. instead of a guy like Boldy or Caufield if they are available. 

One of these five players if available:

Dach

Turcotte

Cozens

Zegras

Krebs

If there are gone:

Newhook or a Dman  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

Victor Soderstrom seems like an Olli Juolevi type. Not that that's bad, but we already have whatever Soderstrom offers

Soderstrom is a no for me.

Edited by Odd.
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Victor Soderstrom seems like an Olli Juolevi type. Not that that's bad, but we already have whatever Soderstrom offers

Soderstrom's a good young D but I get a slight 'Cody Glass' vibe regarding his mention.

Or I could totally be wrong :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Odd. said:

His play in the SHL has been very promising, his U18 tourny was a big red flag for me. I expected him to look dominant in that tourney as he normally plays with men and probably the best league out of anyone at the U18's. Would have been nice to see some offensive upside on display ala Miro H. Broberg, Harley, or Seider might be better fits for us given our need for size on the back end if Hughes and Stecher are playing top 4 minutes.     

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Woo

Tryamkin - Stecher

Would look good 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His play in the SHL has been very promising, his U18 tourny was a big red flag for me. I expected him to look dominant in that tourney as he normally plays with men and probably the best league out of anyone at the U18's. Would have been nice to see some offensive upside on display ala Miro H. Broberg, Harley, or Seider might be better fits for us given our need for size on the back end if Hughes and Stecher are playing top 4 minutes.     

Hughes - Seider

Juolevi - Woo

Tryamkin - Stecher

Would look good 

Seider is everything we need. He's my pick. Second Zegras barring none of the ones ranked higher are available.

If Seider can become a Jacob Trouba or Rasmus Ristolainen I would be ecstatic. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Seider is everything we need. He's my pick. Second Zegras barring none of the ones ranked higher are available.

If Seider can become a Jacob Trouba or Rasmus Ristolainen I would be ecstatic. 

Is Seider even going to make it to 10?  Hope he does, but he sure looks to be a rising star, doesn't he?

Just now, Alflives said:

Is Seider even going to make it to 10?  Hope he does, but he sure looks to be a rising star, doesn't he?

Who knows, but he's a pick that needs to be made IMO. 

A future of Hughes, Seider, Woo, Juolevi as a top 4. That's a skilled yet rugged top 4.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Odd. said:

Who knows, but he's a pick that needs to be made IMO. 

A future of Hughes, Seider, Woo, Juolevi as a top 4. That's a skilled yet rugged top 4.

I'd love to get Seider too.  He's go that "it" factor.  I just hope he's there for us at 10. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd love to get Seider too.  He's go that "it" factor.  I just hope he's there for us at 10. 

I am with you on this.  With how weak the right side is, he could easily play next year.  I don't personally like the forwards at 10.  I think its going to be Zegras, Newhook, Boldy; not really a fan of any of those.  Broberg looks like a good add, but he plays the left side and is probably 2-3 years ways.  Its not that the Canucks cannot afford to wait.  It's just that it will still leave a gaping hole on the right side.  Everyone is in love with BPA, but this maybe just the right pick on both fronts.

I would love to get Seider too, I think he's the 2nd best Dman in the Draft.

If Seider is taken early, that would mean one of the top forwards falls. In the paper today, they mentioned three prospects the Canucks could be interested in:

Soderstrom

Boldy

Zegras

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think from those comments and his comments last year, Benning will probably take a center or Dman at 10. instead of a guy like Boldy or Caufield if they are available. 

One of these five players if available:

Dach

Turcotte

Cozens

Zegras

Krebs

If there are gone:

Newhook or a Dman  

That looks about right to me...although I think he goes with a D. instead of Krebs or Newhook...

I just hope he chooses the right D. and I am leaning towards Sieder or York myself, but would probably trade down a few spots to see if I could get one of them and another 2nd...

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think you're just looking for drama where there isn't any.  Probably the last place anyone should question his critical thinking is at the draft table.

Not looking for drama, he honestly doesn’t have the best track record in the first round, and that’s arguably where he has the most input but thats not what has me doubting Jim. 

What does though, is that hes definitely not known for his shrewd trades  or asset management which I’m questioning when reading his quote. 

If you can get the guy you want and aquire another asset why wouldn’t you? 

21 minutes ago, Vicky said:

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

I'm not really sure what he's saying here. Halfway through the first round they like some guys? We have the #10. Does this mean they might trade down? But then he mentions "if that guy is there at #10 we'll be taking him". Who could he be talking about?

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is clearly taking about Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider, Harley, York, Heinola all in that 10-20 range. Taking the best of the bunch is not a huge reach at 10 depending who is available. Is that the whole quote? "there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there"  it seems like there is one in particular they are eyeing.

Maybe he's secretly hoping that Byram drops down to 10th 

Edited by 250Integra
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not really sure what he's saying here. Halfway through the first round they like some guys? We have the #10. Does this mean they might trade down? But then he mentions "if that guy is there at #10 we'll be taking him". Who could he be talking about?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

What I infer from his comments as that he likes quite a few D at +/- 15 or the 10-20'ish range AKA 'middle'. IMO, his thinking's fine, it more his communication skills that he's a little shakier on.

Agree, on the Chabot/McAvoy thinking. If they think there's an equivalent D rated 10-15'is now that will turn out similar and would go top 10 in a re-draft... 

Though after reading the actual article, it sounds like they have a D they like at 10 (as well as a few more from 10-20'ish) but if one of the forwards they have rated higher slips to them (likely IMO), they will still be looking at a forward.

And Benning has been known to put up smoke screens in past drafts (talking about Glass but focused on Pettersson for instance).

Link to actual tweet/article: