The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Well, I will probably be shot for this, but I am starting to change my view on the NHL draft and how the Canucks approach it...…..

For instance...…...

When Brian Bourke when after Hank and Danny...….he targeted them as the 2 best...….which wasn't hard in that case...….but the point is he identified what his needs were and then moved hell and high water to get them...…….worked out ok!

Then there was Gillis, who traded an up and coming all-star goalie for our future first line center, there was little chance Horvat would be picked earlier, as he was ranked a few picks later...….a well targeted pick, for a position he needed...…..good fore-sight! Great drafting!

The there is, and forgive me for going off topic for a second, but Bill Belichick always, well maybe not always, but he is well known for trading down to fill a hole, getting a secondary pick, as a result...which normally turns out, because of the Patriot's scouting...….seems to be doing fine also

The point is, more often than not, going after the piece you want and believe in, if you believe in your scouting may sometimes be the right thing to do...…...

We are short everywhere, and the draft this year, is turning into a 1 and 2, then 3 to 10 show, and who you chose, may not be anywhere near where near where others have him, or they simply do not need what you need...…………..

So we know this...………(I think)…….as of today

Colorado will pick 1, 2, 3, 4...top 3 - 50%....pretty good chance of picking top 3...…………………….......................................……………...Kakko or Hughes

Detroit will pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...Top 3 - 39%...pretty good chance of picking top 4...…………….......................................…………………..….Hughes or Kakko

LA will pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.....Top 3 - 34%....pretty good chance of picking top 4...….......................................…Needs everything...……....Cozens

New Jersey 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,...Top 3 - 29%....pretty good chance of picking top 5..............................................…Needs a defenseman........Byram

Anahiem 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7...…..Top 3 - 26%....pretty good chance of picking top 6...….......................................….Needs a forward...……..…Dach or Turcotte

Vancouver 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8......Top 3 - 23%....chances of Vancouver getting worse than 7th are pretty slim...…... Needs scoring wingers.....Krebs, Boldy, Dach, Turcotte

Rangers 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9......…Top 3 - 20%....chances of the Rangers getting worse than 8th are pretty slim........Needs a defenseman.......Podkolzin

Buffalo 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10...……Top 3 - 19%....chances of Buffalo getting worse than 8th are pretty slim................Needs a defenseman.......Harley

Edmonton 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11...Top 3 - 16%....chances of Edmonton getting worse than 9th are pretty slim...........Needs scoring wingers.....Krebs, Boldy, Dach, Turcotte

Chicago 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12....Top 3 - 11%....chances of Chicago getting worse than 10th are pretty slim......…  ...............Krebs, Boldy, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras

Colorado

Minnisota

Florida

Philidephia

My point to all this is there is 11 really good names there...........Pretty sure we get one of these 4...........Krebs, Boldy, Dach or Turcotte, because I think LA and Anahiem will take centers and they like them big! ..................I also think 2 of Chicago's choice will still be left on the board after they pick.............

Maybe we just stay where we are.....lol

So which one do you take?   

Or do we move up 2 and take Byram...........Tanev and our 6th OA? Lot of choices!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

I think trading up is going to be difficult. Compounded by the fact we are rebuilding & don't have alot of assets.

Assuming we pick 6-8 I like our options in that range. I said I have Dach/Byram/Turcotte completing the top 5, but its more than likely I'm totally wrong & atleast one of those guys is available. So then there's your choice. Otherwise you could still be looking at Cozens/Podkolzin/Boldy.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Where is everyone at with Alex Newhook? From what Ive seen he's considered a bit more talented than Jost. Top 15 guy?

Where does he rate to you among forwards like Kaliyev, Lavoie, Caufield, Pelletier, & McMicheal? (amongst others)

I always have concerns about guys coming out of Canadian tier 2 junior becoming difference makers.  Those leagues across ?Canada’s are really ver poor, and stats are greatly inflated.  

24 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Besides Hughes and Kakko, who are the guys that could step in next year?

I have a feeling that if JB is feeling his job is on the line, he may go for someone that can jump in right away to help toe the line of rebuilding and stay "competitive".. 

Always a dangerous time, asset wise, when a GM has to 'win now' to keep his job. Was it Keenan who traded for Burke, Ciccone and Sanderson, then moved them after a handful of games ? Turned Gelinas and McLean into Huscroft, Snow ( ugh ) and May ( good ). Wasted assets.

I don't agree that JB is on a very short leash tho'. After next season, that debate becomes relevant !

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I don't agree that JB is on a very short leash tho'. After next season, that debate becomes relevant !

I very much agree with that and next season will be the one to judge JB and the rebuild on. He is not in much jeopardy this year contrary to what is being published in the Province and elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Besides Hughes and Kakko, who are the guys that could step in next year?

I have a feeling that if JB is feeling his job is on the line, he may go for someone that can jump in right away to help toe the line of rebuilding and stay "competitive".. 

cozens, according to ryan biech.

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Gillis wrecked the teams future with his poor drafting and destroyed it his last year trying to save his job.

I would say the success the team had for consecutive years causing bad draft position ruined our future along with poor drafting. 

Even if Gillis drafted well, I’m not sure we wouldn’t have had to “rebuild” eventually given our star players declined pretty quick. Even if he drafted well, we would’ve only been slightly better, and Benning wouldn’t have had the necessary picks to draft guys like Pettersson or Hughes.

As a result we may have stayed average for longer.

all I’m saying is that with an ageing team, the team didn’t have a future core, and wouldn’t have had a future core anyway with the positions we were in for the draft. The team really didn’t have any future either way. And Gillis’ inept drafting really helped us in the long run

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Gillis wrecked the teams future with his poor drafting and destroyed it his last year trying to save his job.

I dont see how thats the case at all.

Traded Luongo for Markstrom+

Traded Schneider for Horvat

Gave up Diaz right away for a draft pick (Gaudette), rather than holding onto him for a playoff push. 

His drafting definitely set the organization back though.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Isam said:

For that program yeah. Not the best american scorer though. Hull still holds that standard.

Its very timely/convenient to compare him to DeBrincat with how good AD's been this season, but in this case Caufield really does look like a DeBrincat clone.

Thats his game. Guy just knows how to finish.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:18 PM, Alflives said:

I always have concerns about guys coming out of Canadian tier 2 junior becoming difference makers.  Those leagues across ?Canada’s are really ver poor, and stats are greatly inflated.  

\And he was cut from U-17 & U-18. I don't know why.

He seems to have alot of talent. Fast skater, good puck handler, good IQ, solid shot, committed 200ft game. But the level of competition makes it tough.

I imagine he'll be a 10-20 guy. But I wonder if Jost struggling will have any impact on how teams feel about drafting a guy from the BCHL that high. 

• Like 1