The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we give Bo the "C"? POLL

Gator

Who should wear the "C"   

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Sutter is the best leader for us this next year. Bo should be an assistant captain to start. Gudbranson the other one. 

Honourable mention Sam Gagner and Jay Beagle

We have a really good group of team leaders. But Sutter can hold this fort together while the next rightful captain emerges. Be it Bo or whoever. 

Wow so surprised there is so much displeasure in BO becoming the next captain of the Canucks. I dont see anything about him that doesnt say leader on and off the ice. He handles the media well.

He is the center on the number one power play.

He scores timely goals. the rush down the wing in Game one last season against the oilers was ....well ...  McDavid like.

He will be the veteran player in his prime by the time a lot of the prospects get into the NHL.

He will be in year 4 this season with the Canucks as was  Naslund when they took over the Captaincy.

He has been around the Twins for the last three years to learn how to deal with all the pressures of being captain.

This thread is getting much like the Burrows do we need him thread. it goes on and on for no reason. We the fans will have absolutely no say in who becomes Captain of the Canucks. We also have limited insight into who says what in the dressing room, on team flights , on road trips, who picks up players at the airport, who does what with the community events, etc.I am confident whomever they pick to be the next Captain will be fine.

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

We have a really good group of team leaders. But Sutter can hold this fort together while the next rightful captain emerges. Be it Bo or whoever. 

How long do you have to wait before that player emerges, what are the criteria?

13 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Wow so surprised there is so much displeasure in BO becoming the next captain of the Canucks.

I think you are misinterpreting the reasoning for not wanting Bo to have to take on that responsibility right now. I have no doubt that he may become the captain at some point but why the rush? The Vancouver media are a ravenous pack of Hyena's; so why would you want him to have to deal with them on a regular basis as the spokesman for the team? i think it would be more prudent to have someone like Brandon Sutter deal with the media varmints and allow Bo to totally focus on having a dominant season with out all of the distractions

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you are misinterpreting the reasoning for not wanting Bo to have to take on that responsibility right now. I have no doubt that he may become the captain at some point but why the rush? The Vancouver media are a ravenous pack of Hyena's; so why would you want him to have to deal with them on a regular basis as the spokesman for the team? i think it would be more prudent to have someone like Brandon Sutter deal with the media varmints and allow Bo to totally focus on having a dominant season with out all of the distractions

The captaincy is vacant?

Naslund took the Captaincy on his fourth season as a Canuck

Linden on his third

I agree that the Vancouver media are pretty ridiculous at times. Again my point is we do not know who does what.

Horvat handles the media fine. He is not 19. He is 23, Linden became Captain at 21

I think the argument he needs to wait is ridiculous. He isn't a rookie. If he was 19 i could understand that argument.

14 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Wow so surprised there is so much displeasure in BO becoming the next captain of the Canucks. I dont see anything about him that doesnt say leader on and off the ice. He handles the media well.

He scores timely goals. the rush down the wing in Game one last season against the oilers was ....well ...  McDavid like.

He will be the veteran player in his prime by the time a lot of the prospects get into the NHL.

He will be in year 4 this season as was Henrik, Naslund when they took over the Captaincy.

He has been around the Twins for the last three years to learn how to deal with all the pressures of being captain.

This thread is getting much like the Burrows do we need him thread. it goes on and on for no reason. We the fans will have absolutely no say in who becomes Captain of the Canucks. We also have limited insight into who says what in the dressing room, on team flights , on road trips, who picks up players at the airport, who does what with the community events, etc.I am confident whomever they pick to be the next Captain will be fine.

Personally I see Brock Boeser emerging as a more vocal team leader who the other players look up to. Bo Horvat is a really good guy for the team and I think would make a great assistant captain. I see Bo as a future second line centre. The respect Brock gets from other star players in league at the NHL All Star competition and his kind nature in taking a girl with down syndrome to prom shows how mature he is. Brock did things in his first year most hockey players can't do. I think this season he takes his game to another level and plays a complete 200foot game while also stepping up as a leader. Sutter is a serious dude and players respect him. He would do a good job as captain for a season or two until the next Captain emerges. 

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

Personally I see Brock Boeser emerging as a more vocal team leader who the other players look up to. Bo Horvat is a really good guy for the team and I think would make a great assistant captain. I see Bo as a future second line centre. The respect Brock gets from other star players in league at the NHL All Star competition and his kind nature in taking a girl with down syndrome to prom shows how mature he is. Brock did things in his first year most hockey players can't do. I think this season he takes his game to another level and plays a complete 200foot game while also stepping up as a leader. Sutter is a serious dude and players respect him. He would do a good job as captain for a season or two until the next Captain emerges. 

I love Brock but i disagree with you on his personality traits.I see him a bit more reserved than Bo. Bo also has had the benefit of spending three seasons with Henrik before becoming the next Captain. A lot of Blackhawks fans like Kane more than Toews but JT has the leadership ability.

Sutter is a serious dude? With a name like Ken Hodge have you watched Hockey ...He is a Sutter!! Remember them from the 90's? his whole family are serious dudes. Unfortunately he is 29 yrs old and most likely will not be around as the core of prospects develop

I actually can see Horvat surpass Boeser in goals and points if he stays healthy this year. Due to the fact the twins are gone and Horvat will get way more O zone starts at center.This even with the fact that Boeser is on his line.

I think you have seen the next Captain emerge. Its year four for Bo. He has the skill set for becoming the next Captain and I believe the team will make him the next Captain. I see a lot of Trevor Linden in Bo.

On 2018-09-05 at 10:43 AM, mikeyman109 said:

He will be in year 4 this season with the Canucks as was  Naslund when they took over the Captaincy.

I get what your saying, the vast majority that took the poll want him as captain next year.  What you said about what happens on the team behind closed doors and in the dressing room is what matters most, none of us are privy to that or how the team feels about him taking on the leadership role.  Some guys exude it like Landeskog (which is why COL named him Captain so early), during interviews at the combine one scout came out saying he was ready to go "to f$@king war" with him.  Other leaders don't want it at all but the players themselves want them to do it so they do it (Bobby Clark and Beliveau whom is regarded as the best Captain in history by SPNET).   From the few tidbits the Sedins have given when asked about Horvat as the heir apparent they haven't exactly given much, which can read as not much of an endorsement, or just the Sedins being themselves and not weighing in out of respect for the organization to make their decision without their influence.   The fan base here has clearly spoken they want Horvat as the next C, given the information available I think he's the perfect guy for the role.  But of course none of us has all the information, so I won't be too distressed if he isn't.  Not getting an A last year in favour of other vets makes you wonder, but if management knew the Sedins were packing it in before the season started maybe they would have given him one.  Or maybe they asked him to and like Bobby Clark he said he wasn't ready yet.  We just don't know, and part of that is why this post is starting to go sideways a little.  Can't wait for the season to start and for us to find out what the coaches and management decides to do about this.  I'm ok with no C this year too if that's what they decide, but don't want it to drag on like it has in TO..

8 minutes ago, FedorFedorov said:

Give the C to Tanev. Look at how often he puts himself on the line risking injury for the team. He's a warrior and a great defenseman. A great story of being undrafted and everything to get where he is now, why not reward a veteran guy.

You can't lead from the infirmary.  

On 9/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

On the rare occasion when a Sedin didn't step up to answer questions post-game, Horvat was front and center. He started on the 4th line and worked his way to the 1st. He has said many times that he wants the responsibility and he has learned from 2 of the best on what it takes.

While I don't think it's a necessity to give it to him this year, I don't understand the reluctance, given that I think it's an eventuality anyways. His role on the team and his contract make him the frontrunner for the C

4 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Crazy..very interesting ..I thought it was a given that Bo would be captain. 

When a young player is still figuring out his game, do you want to make him captain too?  I think that is the question the team is asking.,  If it was a given, it would have been done already.  If it were me, I’d give the captaincy to Gudbranson and in 3 years when Bo is older, I’d give it to Bo or maybe even Boeser by then.

Captain - Gudbranson

Alternate - Sutter

Alternate - Horvat

Alternate - Edler

There really isn't another player IMO that would , or should take the captaincy besides Bo.

He's the right age of a rebuilding squad, has been a leader prior to the Canucks, has been tutored by 2 very good leaders in Hank and Danny, brings it every game, great with the media.

We're actually very lucky to have Bo with all of his attributes. Many teams (Toronto comes to mind) just didn't have someone who checked all the boxes.

Sutter's time could be limited with Beagle , Pettersson and Gaudette in the fold, and would he even want it. He should wear the A for sure

Guddy's not captain material. doesn't have the right demeanor, similar to Kesler. good leader but not necessarily captain

Edler's is not resigned yet and is simply too quiet imo

Tanev would be ok. Not afraid to speak up, is thrown all tough assignments, cool cucumber, but he is injury prone 

As @mikeyman109  stated who the heck know whats goes on behinds closed doors.. 

Should be either rotating A''s or Bo this season.

1 minute ago, nuck-lifer said:

There really isn't another player IMO that would , or should take the captaincy besides Bo.

He's the right age of a rebuilding squad, has been a leader prior to the Canucks, has been tutored by 2 very good leaders in Hank and Danny, brings it every game, great with the media.

We're actually very lucky to have Bo with all of his attributes. Many teams (Toronto comes to mind) just didn't have someone who checked all the boxes.

Sutter's time could be limited with Beagle , Pettersson and Gaudette in the fold, and would he even want it. He should wear the A for sure

Guddy's not captain material. doesn't have the right demeanor, similar to Kesler. good leader but not necessarily captain

Edler's is not resigned yet and is simply too quiet imo

Tanev would be ok. Not afraid to speak up, is thrown all tough assignments, cool cucumber, but he is injury prone 

As @mikeyman109  stated who the heck know whats goes on behinds closed doors.. 

Should be either rotating A''s or Bo this season.

I wouldn’t consider Kesler to Gudbranson at all.  One talks well and is respected, the other was an immature douchebag who pranks the media, acts like a baby, and sleeps with his teammates spouses.

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

I wouldn’t consider Kesler to Gudbranson at all.  One talks well and is respected, the other was an immature douchebag who pranks the media, acts like a baby, and sleeps with his teammates spouses.

Haha , I hear you on the douchebag front.. I take it you haven't stood in line for Ryan's autograph..

4 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Haha , I hear you on the douchebag front.. I take it you haven't stood in line for Ryan's autograph..

LOL, I haven’t respected Kesler since he signed the offer sheet from Philly,  I’ve always thought he was overrated and would’ve traded him the summer after that one good season where he toe drag wrist shoted 40+ goals and didn’t pass to anyone.

As you said, I’d consider Sutter for C too as he’s only got a couple seasons left then Horvat or Boeser (whomever is a better leader) to take over when Sutter is done.  Two years as Sutter as a C is a safe bet for a solid leader.

Archived