The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

.75 cent Canadian dollar could help Canadian teams

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I picked a number out of the air for a median salary in the NHL - $3,100,000 per year. At a very basic level the below is the taxes you could expect to pay.

If you lived in Vancouver your take home pay after taxes would be $1,586,676...............

If you lived in Dallas your take home pay after taxes would be $1,912,740...............

http://www.ees-financial.com/img/uploads/Tax-Take-Home-Pay-Calculator-for-2018.htm

https://smartasset.com/taxes/texas-tax-calculator#E7pwkfiY5q

The other thing to factor in from the team standpoint is the lower dollar is a bad thing from an expense/revenue perspective. Canadian teams would love a higher CAD$ for purchasing U.S. instruments to pay out the U.S. salaries. This would be a huge factor in Ottawa as they would likely spend less to the cap  with the lower dollar.

You also didn't factor in the required amounts withheld from all contracts that are placed into escrow per the CBA. I think the gross salary is their yearly minus 15% or something ridiculous.

https://www.nhlnumbers.com/2016/8/12/how-escrow-is-becoming-a-growing-concern-in-the-nhl

2 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I would like to know, how it is that the Canadian Dollar is less than the USA Dollar, apparently they are almost 25 TRILLION in debt.

It must be some type of Enron or Wall Street accounting,or really fancy economics

Just glad the government doesn't look after MY bankbook..

Currency is a commodity and traded like any other commodity (gold, coffee, pork bellies, wheat, etc.).  Comes down to supply and demand.  Even with the federal reserve in the USA printing greenbacks like crazy (creating what one would think is an endless supply of US dollars) and in spite of the ginormous US debt and Donald Trump at the helm (he's actually good for business if you're an American), the global demand for US currency still far outweighs the global demand for the Canadian loonie.  That is, in the simplest terms, what determines the value of the Canadian dollar (though there's a million variables that determines whether one should buy US dollars vs. Canadian dollars vs. Euros vs. Yen vs. Pound Sterling...you get the picture). 

Has very little with "creative" accounting (it does, but not really).  Supply and demand for US greenbacks...that's what it comes down to (and the Chinese own a huge pct. of the US currency, and at some point in time, they will decide isn't worth a whole lot to them and start dumping causing the US dollar to collapse and force the global economy to be conducted in Renminbis and force the Aquilini's in paying Bo and the boys in that form of currency).

Back to Alf's discussion -- Weaker CAD dollar is one of the many reasons why ticket prices in Canadian markets are the highest in the league (that obviously is not good for us fans).  In spite of the demonization of Bettman, he's done all the right business things to position the NHL to land a sizeable US TV contract, which in a perfect world would be a great benefit to Canadian hockey fans (who you would expect would  pay lower ticket prices once they had a replacement source of revenue to ticket sales, but we know that's not going to happen because for all owners and businessmen, it's all about growing your revenue dollars).

As far as the macroeconomics of hockey is concerned, IMHO, the Canadian dollar at 90 cents is probably the sweet spot.  We just need oil to go up to $95 USD a barrel to make the CAD dollar more attractive to foreign investors...or just watch the world annex Trump and his Trumponomics and freeze up the demand for US dollars resulting in a bigger demand for Canadian dollars.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all of what is written above is manipulated by the Rockefellers, Rothchilds, Windsors, Bushes and their Bilderberg Group pals <------------ that's my tinfoil hat moment.

Purchasing power parody and foreign exchange rates aren’t the same thing. The US dollar may be 25% more than the Canadian Dollar, but everything in Canada is more expensive as well (even before taxes). think about gas prices, housing prices, food prices, etc. Even after you convert the amounts Americans pay into Canadian Dollars, it’s still less than what Canadians pay. And it’s not just from jacking up prices by producers, there’s plenty of legitimate economic factors that go into these high prices, including labour costs, energy costs, rent costs, shipping costs, etc. 

This SHOULD have been factored into the wrangling of past CBA bitchsessionegotiations. With enough lawyers crawling & slithering about, it wasn't rocketbrain-surgery!

The obvious answer is they'll obfuscate, collude & cloud until the F***in'USA teams win 5 straight decades of Lord Stanley's Silver.

It p***es me off that more Cdns didn't stand up & protest against having something stolen from us, that is innately woven into our cultural & historical tapestry. With huge revenue(% wise) contributions, the Cdn hockey-going public has actually been PAYING this US-entity(modern NHL) to hold us over a barrel, & have their way(no parades for THAT!)

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Purchasing power parody and foreign exchange rates aren’t the same thing. The US dollar may be 25% more than the Canadian Dollar, but everything in Canada is more expensive as well (even before taxes). think about gas prices, housing prices, food prices, etc. Even after you convert the amounts Americans pay into Canadian Dollars, it’s still less than what Canadians pay. And it’s not just from jacking up prices by producers, there’s plenty of legitimate economic factors that go into these high prices, including labour costs, energy costs, rent costs, shipping costs, etc. 

parody/parity..hugely diff!

edit: & yeah..league's a ****in PARODY!!!

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

parody/parity..hugely diff!

edit: & yeah..league's a ****in PARODY!!!

Lol thanks, shows how bad my grasp of English is. 

To further illustrate my point though, the state with the most expensive average price for gas right now is Hawaii at 3.737 per gallon. A gallon is about 3.785 litres, so gas in Hawaii is 98.73 cents US per litre. If we assume that   $1 CAD = $0.75 USD, then $1 USD = $1.33 CAD. That means gas in Hawaii is $1.31 CAD per lite. 

Yes, an island in the middle of the pacific where gasoline has to be shipped for days on tanker boats and is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world has cheaper gasoline than one of the number 1 oil producing nations in the world. 

And that’s just one product. A similar pattern can be found on many other things like rent, food, clothing, etc.

oh and btw some states have gas prices as low as 2.50 per gallon, which is almost half of what Canadians pay, even after exchange rates have been factored in

4 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Lol thanks, shows how bad my grasp of English is. 

To further illustrate my point though, the state with the most expensive average price for gas right now is Hawaii at 3.737 per gallon. A gallon is about 3.785 litres, so gas in Hawaii is 98.73 cents US per litre. If we assume that   $1 CAD = $0.75 USD, then $1 USD = $1.33 CAD. That means gas in Hawaii is $1.31 CAD per lite. 

Yes, an island in the middle of the pacific where gasoline has to be shipped for days on tanker boats and is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world has cheaper gasoline than one of the number 1 oil producing nations in the world. 

And that’s just one product. A similar pattern can be found on many other things like rent, food, clothing, etc.

oh and btw some states have gas prices as low as 2.50 per gallon, which is almost half of what Canadians pay, even after exchange rates have been factored in

Sorry for the hasty insensitivity, CC. You're a dedicated fan, with the quality blog/vids.

You're also talkin' gas with a cyclist who hasn't owned a car in two decades! :^)

Overall, I don't like how pro sport has turned us all into half-fast, quasi-accountants. It's #621a, on my list of modern time lamentations. Guess it's a necc evil, recalling finals where 90 million $ Red Wing teams beat up on 18 mill dollar Cane-lamers, led by the likes of Arturs Irbe-types.

Had Lord Stanley anticipated all the troubles he'd precipitate, with awarding a silver chalice in 1893, he'd likely give the Cdn Amateur ice hockey champs a ceremonious kick in de'arse with a frozen mukluk!

When currency value is lower, goods and services are more expenses in that currency. 

Owners would find it more difficult to spend to cap since their revenue is in CAD but player salaries are in USD.

Overall it's not a good thing for Canadian markets.. 

Considering most things in Canada seem about 50% more expensive and taxes are higher no.  Still a better place to live though.  Having lived in both countries it is worth it IMHO.

Then again I am not rich and the US can be a great place to live for the wealthy.

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Still a better place to live though.  Having lived in both countries it is worth it IMHO.

Canada and the US are both massive countries. It really depends on specifically where you’re talking about. If you’re comparing LA to Vancouver yeah I’d say I’d rather live in Vancouver. But if you offered me the exact same job and gave me a choice between Winnipeg and a US city like Denver or Seattle, I’m heading south of the border.

Archived