The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

.75 cent Canadian dollar could help Canadian teams

I was wondering if our .75 cent dollar could help Canadian teams attract players?  The players are paid in US dollars, so they have 25% more buying power in 

Canadian cities, don’t they?  Shouldn’t this discrepancy help us get guys to sign here, like college UFAs?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are our taxes that much higher though?  It’s 25% more buying power!  Isn’t that a lot? 

When you're in that tax bracket, yes.  We also have one team where the owner doesn't care about winning and isn't willing to ice a competitive team (Ottawa), 3 ruthless media markets with expensive housing (Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto), one city with absolutely nothing to do and brutal winter (Winnipeg), and 2 cities that are absolute dumps filled with ignorant rednecks and have complete morons running their hockey teams( Calgary, Edmonton).

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Taxes.

Taxes in Canada are lower than all US teams with the exception of TB, FLD and Vegas.  Jock tax evens the playing field and more for us, we have the third best taxes in Canada too, or we our players make the sixth most in the entire league....it's all relative as far as the OP, what costs 5 mill in TO and VAN to buy costs 2.5 in OTT MTL, and a lot less in WNP.

Just now, King Heffy said:

When you're in that tax bracket, yes.  We also have one team where the owner doesn't care about winning and isn't willing to ice a competitive team (Ottawa), 3 ruthless media markets with expensive housing (Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto), one city with absolutely nothing to do and brutal winter (Winnipeg), and 2 cities that are absolute dumps filled with ignorant rednecks and have complete morons running their hockey teams( Calgary, Edmonton).

Yup, those things are truly nasty.  

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are our taxes that much higher though?  It’s 25% more buying power!  Isn’t that a lot? 

I picked a number out of the air for a median salary in the NHL - $3,100,000 per year. At a very basic level the below is the taxes you could expect to pay.

If you lived in Vancouver your take home pay after taxes would be $1,586,676...............

If you lived in Dallas your take home pay after taxes would be $1,912,740...............

http://www.ees-financial.com/img/uploads/Tax-Take-Home-Pay-Calculator-for-2018.htm

https://smartasset.com/taxes/texas-tax-calculator#E7pwkfiY5q

The other thing to factor in from the team standpoint is the lower dollar is a bad thing from an expense/revenue perspective. Canadian teams would love a higher CAD$ for purchasing U.S. instruments to pay out the U.S. salaries. This would be a huge factor in Ottawa as they would likely spend less to the cap  with the lower dollar.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Taxes.

Taxes don't fluctuate that much when you're making over 7 figures. Depending on city to city it might go from %40-50... I think.

Because I remember one time hearing that the Stamkos contract offer was taxed %7 less than he would have paid in Toronto. So it's not like it goes from %50 tax in Toronto vs %0 tax in Tampa

I would like to know, how it is that the Canadian Dollar is less than the USA Dollar, apparently they are almost 25 TRILLION in debt.

It must be some type of Enron or Wall Street accounting,or really fancy economics

Just glad the government doesn't look after MY bankbook..

I was talking to Hamhuis' cousin and he said that almost the entire reason he signed in Dallas was - he knew that it could be his last contract so he wanted to bank some money before leaving the game. He would have seriously considered staying in Vancouver but, because the taxes are so much lower in Dallas he thought it was a better fit for him.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was wondering if our .75 cent dollar could help Canadian teams attract players?  The players are paid in US dollars, so they have 25% more buying power in 

Canadian cities, don’t they?  Shouldn’t this discrepancy help us get guys to sign here, like college UFAs?  

All of the Canadian license plates at our local malls here say your prices in Canada are very inflated.  So between taxes and cost of living, that 25% doesn't cut it.

Revenue sharing!

We've been propping up crappy US markets for decades with our sub-par dollar. The only benefit a crappy dollar has to hockey is maybe, if we're not putting as much into the share the league will be forced to move teams from bad markets to more promising ones, with all the fees that go along with it.

But to Alf 's assumption - No. You don't have 25% more buying power if you pay USD. We mark up most of our goods based on the exchange rate because most of our vendors want payment in USD. Even when you buy from a Canadian distributor the goods usually went through the US. 

The Chinese always want payment in USD. Euro companies take CAD, but unfortunately, we don't import much from Europe

Edit- and if a product is coming directly from a distributor in the US we also have to mark up to cover brokerage and duties. Duties on some products can be as high as 28% depending on where the aluminium was sourced from (for example.)

Duties on most goods range from 12-18% which is why it's really important to find Canadian distributors. I'll stop now

Archived