The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Hughes (2019) vs Alexis Lefreniere (2020)

Jack vs Alexis  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Despite being the headliners of two different NHL drafts, they are only 5 months apart in age. They are taking two different developmental routes: Jack's played one season in the USHL (54 points in 27 games) and then likely college to follow Quinn, while Alexis is in the QMJHL (80 points in 60 games). Both were 16 years old for the majority of the season. Jack plays Centre while Alexis is a LW. Based on eliteprospects, Jack is 5'10'' and 161lbs. Alexis is 6'1'' and 185lbs. Based on relative goal and assist numbers, Jack seems like more of a playmaker while Alexis is more of a goal scorer.

In international competition is where Jack appears to have the step up on Alexis. At the World U-17, Jack scored 15 points in 6 games, while Alexis scored 6 points in 6 games. It should be noted that Canada hosts the World U-17 and sends 3 teams every year so the teammates for Alexis played with on his team might have been diluted. 

Even more impressively, at the 2018 World Juniors, Jack scored 12 points in 7 games, and Alexis scored 6 points in 5 games.

All in all, who do you favour? Hopefully we're not bad enough going into the 2020 draft to have a chance at Alexis. The best would be winning the 2019 draft lottery at home and taking Jack then just barely missing the playoffs in 2019-2020 and winning the 1st overall again despite having $&!# odds (like when Philly and Carolina jumped in recent years).

Was just thinking the same. I think size is less of a factor these days so I'm going with Hughes by a slight margin.

Also because I feel like Hughes has better bloodlines. But what Lafreniere has accomplished has been super impressive. 

Lafreniere is better. No question. If Lafreniere was in the 2015 draft, Eichel would be a clear 3rd overall, and at this point (which is too far away to tell, honestly), I wouldn't be surprised if either Lafreniere or McDavid fell to 2nd.

He's that good.

I don't want to tank in 2020, though, so I'd rather have Hughes on our team. Plus the whole brother thing.

16 years old.  LW 6 foot 1.  181 pounds.

Mario was 6 foot 4 and 200 pounds at 18 years old when he was drafted in 1984.

I dare say that Lafrenier has some potential to put on some size before he is drafted in 2 years and that Has and French fans will be salivating and making this exact same comparisons regardless of the difference in positions 

Like someone said, we could wind up with one or both but will wind up with neither

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

In my opinion, Hughes looks like he's on pace to be a Matthews, Eichel, Tavares, MacKinnon type and possibly the best in that tier. Lafreniére legitimately looks like he could enter the league in the McDavid and Crosby tier. 

The QMJHL is notoriously more high scoring than the other CHL leagues though.

Lafreniere is better. No question. If Lafreniere was in the 2015 draft, Eichel would be a clear 3rd overall, and at this point (which is too far away to tell, honestly), I wouldn't be surprised if either Lafreniere or McDavid fell to 2nd.

He's that good.

I don't want to tank in 2020, though, so I'd rather have Hughes on our team. Plus the whole brother thing

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That's true, but he's still the only one to put up those kinds of numbers since Crosby in the QMJHL. He's also been dominating international events too as an underager in most of them. He was among the best players at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament which just finished and he was also impressive at the Hlinka U18's earlier this year. Holtz and Raymond have been good for their respective countries (also 2020 eligible), but Lafreniére has been unreal.

Sorry Canuck Fans,

but, we haven't had much luck at the lotto draft.So we are DUE!

I for one would be delighted (you know stoked) with either skilled player.

This team could really use a boost,and more great talent in the pipeline is just the thing to finally GET US ROLLING and win our first Stanley Cup,

and possibly become a dynasty.

Is it just me or should we sell. Edler, Tanev, DBZ, Gudbrandson, Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Markstrom, Nillson, Lind/ Dahlen (if they don't pan out).

I'm not saying we will get 1st rd picks, but lets get more picks in the top 4. We wont be a playoff team in the next 2 years and are still technically in the draft lottery.

I'm not saying if we don't win the lottery, we trade up. But let's get as many assets as we can back, so if time comes down to it we are able to move up a spot, or get multiple ace prospects.

14 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Used to be, isn't really any more. Both the O and the Q sit tight at just under 7 goals per game these days. The WHL is a little ways behind. But the really high scoring days of the Q (10+ goals per game) haven't existed since the 80s.

Edit: Just did the math-last season, the O was at 7.09, Q was at 6.76.  The quality of player might be slightly lower, certainly there are more stars that come out of the O, but it isn't h higher scoring.

Hughes isn't likely to be a center in the NHL. But it'd be interesting to at least try and see if he can do it. His skill set might be better suited to the wing anyway. I really don't know much about this French lad, but from what I hear he is quite the stud. I'd rather have Hughes for that Hughes brother connection, but from what I hear Frenchie is likely to be better. They are separated by 5 months eh? Does that mean Lafreniere will be one of the younger lads in his draft? 

14 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Is it just me or should we sell. Edler, Tanev, DBZ, Gudbrandson, Hutton, Granlund, Gaunce, Markstrom, Nillson, Lind/ Dahlen (if they don't pan out).

I'm not saying we will get 1st rd picks, but lets get more picks in the top 4. We wont be a playoff team in the next 2 years and are still technically in the draft lottery.

I'm not saying if we don't win the lottery, we trade up. But let's get as many assets as we can back, so if time comes down to it we are able to move up a spot, or get multiple ace prospects.

Those two are just 20yrs.   I can see Goldobin (23) and Leipsic (24) moving before the other two.

Archived