The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What are the best trade targets for 2C?

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kadri is a good player; there is no denying that.  However, why would we help Toronto?  

The Leafs are super soft after this off season, they're not getting rid of Kadri even if they move him off C, he's their only player with an edge. It would be open season on AM and flamingo-boy. 

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kadri is a good player; there is no denying that.  However, why would we help Toronto?  

I seriously don’t understand this attitude.  You make a trade that helps your team in some way.  Of course the other team is going to benefit too or they wouldn’t make the trade.  Why do you care if Toronto is improved but the trade? It’s not like they’re a division rival.  The two teams play twice a year.  Ideally making a trade with an Eastern team is the exact sort of deal you want to make.  

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I seriously don’t understand this attitude.  You make a trade that helps your team in some way.  Of course the other team is going to benefit too or they wouldn’t make the trade.  Why do you care if Toronto is improved but the trade? It’s not like they’re a division rival.  The two teams play twice a year.  Ideally making a trade with an Eastern team is the exact sort of deal you want to make.  

Friggin’ hate the Leafs.  Kadri, although a good player, would not help us nearly so much as Tanev would TO.  Tanev could help the Loser Leafs win the Cup.  You want to see that parade?  :sick:

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Friggin’ hate the Leafs.  Kadri, although a good player, would not help us nearly so much as Tanev would TO.  Tanev could help the Loser Leafs win the Cup.  You want to see that parade?  :sick:

So you bypass s chance to improve Vancovers anemic offence  because there’s a small chance the Leafs might win the cup and Tanev might contribute?  That’s just petty.  I’d think you’d be more interested in improving the Canucks  

So you bypass s chance to improve Vancovers anemic offence  because there’s a small chance the Leafs might win the cup and Tanev might contribute?  That’s just petty.  I’d think you’d be more interested in improving the Canucks  

Kadri doesn’t improve us to a level where we compete for a Cup.  Tanev is the friggin’ Loser Leaf’s missing piece!  Since we are highly unlikely going to win a Cup, even with Kadri, it’s too darned risky to give the Leafs Tanev, watch them win, and then suffer having to listen to the media celebrate TO’s greatness.  :sick:

Any true Canuck’s fan should understand that pettiness (when it comes to the Loser Leafs) is important in decision making.  :P

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, vannuck59 said:

Your talking about Dale Tallon , The reason he does this is to make his Center depth stronger and to get better without the puck. That's one place were they need to tighten up. Panthers are ready to make a run at the cup Sutter would be the missing piece .

They're swimming in centres. 3 years ago Bjugstad played 1C and led them in scoring. He can also play against top match ups. 

He's been playing on the wing because he is too good to play on the third line. And he has been bumped by Barkov & Trochek who are just better centres.

McCann has also been playing wing... 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, vannuck59 said:

Montreal wanted more than Borgstrom so Tallon would not bite for Patch. 

Above, you mentioned ''we're talking about Dale Tallon?''

You should have been saying ''we're talking about Bergevin!'' Who gets baited, and taken to the cleaners in trades. No doubt Tallon just laughed if Berge offered him a 30 year old player of any sort? A shorter term asset with limited time on his contract. Patches, or no one like him would have got Florida into the SCF last year. So of course Tallon was going to keep his best prospect...

Tallon has a trend of getting rid of overrated, declining players. If he's given up talent, its always been to dump salary, not take it on. Sometimes shrewdly, see Booth, Ballard perhaps Guddy? Sometimes not so much; got rocked in his expansion draft posturing giving up Marschessault (spelling? sorry) and Reilly Smith. I don't recall him giving up a top prospect in the last 10 years!

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kadri doesn’t improve us to a level where we compete for a Cup.  Tanev is the friggin’ Loser Leaf’s missing piece!  Since we are highly unlikely going to win a Cup, even with Kadri, it’s too darned risky to give the Leafs Tanev, watch them win, and then suffer having to listen to the media celebrate TO’s greatness.  :sick:

Any true Canuck’s fan should understand that pettiness (when it comes to the Loser Leafs) is important in decision making.  :P

There isn’t a single trade the Canucjs could conceivably make that instantly makes them a cup contender.  Does that mean they shouldn’t try to improve the team.  How much Tanev actually helps the Leafs is immaterial (personally I doubt he’s the missing piece. The only thing that should matter to the Canucks is if the trade helps them  

There isn’t a single trade the Canucjs could conceivably make that instantly makes them a cup contender.  Does that mean they shouldn’t try to improve the team.  How much Tanev actually helps the Leafs is immaterial (personally I doubt he’s the missing piece. The only thing that should matter to the Canucks is if the trade helps them  

Not when it’s the Leafs.  :sick:

Just now, Alflives said:

Not when it’s the Leafs.  :sick:

Why?  It’s not like the Leafs are a traditional rival to the Canucks. It’s not like they’re in the same division or conference.  There’s really no history between the two teams.  Yes. Toronto fans are annoying.  But as far as the organization goes theres no rational reason to not trade with them   

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Why?  It’s not like the Leafs are a traditional rival to the Canucks. It’s not like they’re in the same division or conference.  There’s really no history between the two teams.  Yes. Toronto fans are annoying.  But as far as the organization goes theres no rational reason to not trade with them   

Remember back to this last playoffs?  The Bruins played the Leafs.  Do you wonder why (with our recent history wth Boston) still 95% of the fans here were cheering for the Bruins to beat the Leafs?  It’s not Toronto fans.  It’s Toronto.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Remember back to this last playoffs?  The Bruins played the Leafs.  Do you wonder why (with our recent history wth Boston) still 95% of the fans here were cheering for the Bruins to beat the Leafs?  It’s not Toronto fans.  It’s Toronto.  

Fan sentiment is not enough to not do a trade.  If the team is improved by the trade then it makes good sense from an organizational point of view.  These are two teams that aren’t likely to meet up in the playoffs any time soon. 

9 minutes ago, mpt said:

We aren’t going anywhere quickly, dont waste assets on acquiring something we dont need.  If anything we need a 1C as Horvat is a 2C.

Toews averages 60-65 points each season.  Is he a number one center?  

12 minutes ago, mpt said:

We aren’t going anywhere quickly, dont waste assets on acquiring something we dont need.  If anything we need a 1C as Horvat is a 2C.

Bergeron averages less than 60 points a season.  Is he a number one center?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Toews averages 60-65 points each season.  Is he a number one center?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know what you're getting at and I agree with you.  Bo is still developing and will likely end up with similar numbers; especially now that he has better wingers.  Bo is in the same mold as Bergeron and Toews and like them, he brings a lot more to the game than just putting up points.

Both Boston and Chicago have several very good Cs that could be considered top 6.  Toews and Bergeron may not be in the top half of the NHL list of #1Cs, but it doesn't really matter as the teams C position is so strong.  With Pettersson (and later on) Gaudette coming along, I think Vancouver will be in the same position.

I certainly don't think the Canucks should give up assets and/or picks for a 2C when they are so close to having 3 centres that are homegrown.  Just stay the course and be patient.  We're getting there.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not a great one on a team that struggles for offence like us.  If Bergeron was my 1C I’d try to improve my C spot.

Also both Bergeron and Toews have only ever had 1 minus season in their careers.  Horvat has yet to have a non minus season in 4 attempts.  I wouldn’t put Horvat into the category of Bergeron and Toews just quite yet

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Horvat

Kadri

Sutter

Beagle

Not bad for centre depth. That would allow Pettersson and Gaudette to start on the wing making their transition to the NHL game a bit easier.

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Kadri - Pettersson

Eriksson - Sutter - Gaudette

Leipsic - Beagle - Virtanen

Schaller

Our defense would be even more of a train wreck than it usually is, however, especially when injuries kick in.

On August 18, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Me_ said:

I’m thinking

DAHLEN - PETTERSSON - ERIKSSON

Eriksson can’t lead a team, but he can sure feed off a 1C. And what better mentor to two Swedes.

The Canucks have Horvat and Sutter way in front of Gaudette at this point. Pettersson is in a league of his own.

Be patient with the rebuild and don't chase after a # 1 centre...

To trade for a top centre it would cost  good young prospects...

Keep on rebuild and we will be in playoffs in 2 years..

Bo is a very good centre, Pettersson, Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle...

So in 2 years centre position will be 1. Pettersson - 2. Horvat 3. Gaudette 4.Beagle or another prospect.

Archived