The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What are the best trade targets for 2C?

2C is Sutter's to lose. Sutter can actually be an offensive threat, it's all about mindset. He scored 20 playing with the Sedins. I think that just because he's a C, it's automatically expected that he's supposed to be a great playmaker, he's not therefore he's an offensive black hole.

His assignment the past couple years has been to play solid defensively in a shutdown role, that is always going to cost significant offensive output. With Pettersson and Goldobin on his wing's I'd not be surprised to see Sutter put up 20g 30a for 50p next season. Goldobin can cement himself as a legit T6 winger, and Pettersson who has ELITE playmaking ability from the wing can do his thing.

Later in the season after Pettersson becomes comfortable with the NA ice size, NHL game, etc, he can swap with Sutter and become that legit 2C. I would not be surprised if in 1-2 full seasons, Pettersson becomes the undisputed #1 center on this team, and we have a 1A/1B center tandem in the T6, Gaudette centering the 3rd line and Beagle centering the 4th line.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know Beagle’s weak side D Zone draw %.  Maybe it’s not even a kept stat?  If he is good on his weak side though, that would take those hard minutes from Bo, which would really help Bo.  I remember last season Green playing Bo a lot of really tough minutes, and Bo’s overall minutes started to climb a bit too high.  Didn’t Green say, at one point, he couldn’t put Bo out all the time, or something like that?  I think that’s a big reason for getting Beagle.  To help Bo.

Beagle is fine weak side - he only had 25% ozone starts with 58% overall on face-offs and to answer your question he's nearly equivalent on splits of L vs R opponents: https://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-hand?player=jay-beagle

Bad contract tho :ph34r::rolleyes:

Just now, Me_ said:

Gotta protect the cubs. His contract is more than fine.

his face off ability is really interesting - don't know how many guys are essentially equivalent vs L or R handed opponents. With him and Manny teaching the kids we should be solid on possession. 

How did we get here?  Top 6 centres are too expensive.  They cost too many assets and free agents don't want to sign on rebuilding teams (they want to win).

This is where the strategy of pumping up the bottom 6 comes from.  Because it can be done without giving up the assets and they're rolling the dice on the development of Pettersson and Gaudette.

The Canucks aren't going to have a true 2nd line next year.  By ice time, Sutter will be the centre with the 2nd most minutes.

The "X"C could be Gagner (I know), Pettersson, Gaudette or plenty of others at points during the season.

The beauty of having 2 shut down centres, Sutter and Beagle is that they can share the hard match ups and d-zone starts.  Last season Sutter had 77.4% d-zone starts and Beagle had 80.1% so neither are likely to hit those numbers which frees up both of them for more offensive starts (and more goals for Sutter who has shown that he can pot 20 given the opportunity) while not neglecting the match up role.

I think that they try to ease Pettersson into the centre position through the season.  Also, Gaudette could be on Beagle's wing and learn from a top end defensive bottom 6 centre while also having a shot at the "X"C slot.  Nothing is set in stone, it all depends on how development goes.

According to GM Dale Tallon, a lot of teams inquired about Henrik Borgström at the trade deadline but the Panthers were not willing to trade him. “Everybody’s high on him, and we’re higher on him. He’s the real deal…. we’ll be a better team with him in the lineup long-term.”, Tallon said about Borgström

They turned down offers that included guys like McDonagh and Patches, why the hell would they then trade him for Sutter? LOL. Borgstrom looks like a stud, he is very likely their Brock Boeser in that they drafted him somewhat late in the first and can become a massive steal of his draft. He is considered one of the Calder favourites going into this season. As a closet Panthers fan I am super excited to see their potential center core of Barkov, Trocheck and Borgstrom. 

Edit: For some context, would you trade Gaudette for someone like Jay Beagle straight up?

31 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

2C is Sutter's to lose. Sutter can actually be an offensive threat, it's all about mindset. He scored 20 playing with the Sedins. I think that just because he's a C, it's automatically expected that he's supposed to be a great playmaker, he's not therefore he's an offensive black hole.

His assignment the past couple years has been to play solid defensively in a shutdown role, that is always going to cost significant offensive output. With Pettersson and Goldobin on his wing's I'd not be surprised to see Sutter put up 20g 30a for 50p next season. Goldobin can cement himself as a legit T6 winger, and Pettersson who has ELITE playmaking ability from the wing can do his thing.

Later in the season after Pettersson becomes comfortable with the NA ice size, NHL game, etc, he can swap with Sutter and become that legit 2C. I would not be surprised if in 1-2 full seasons, Pettersson becomes the undisputed #1 center on this team, and we have a 1A/1B center tandem in the T6, Gaudette centering the 3rd line and Beagle centering the 4th line.

just a bit of a pet peeve for me on these boards

it is hard enough for a rookie or almost rookie (goldobin) to actually make the team

how about in line construction

people avoid putting 2 of them on the same line

because that is really really unlikely to happen

a rookie on offense will play with 2 veterans

at least to start the season until they have their feet solidly under them

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

According to GM Dale Tallon, a lot of teams inquired about Henrik Borgström at the trade deadline but the Panthers were not willing to trade him. “Everybody’s high on him, and we’re higher on him. He’s the real deal…. we’ll be a better team with him in the lineup long-term.”, Tallon said about Borgström

They turned down offers that included guys like McDonagh and Patches, why the hell would they then trade him for Sutter? LOL. Borgstrom looks like a stud, he is very likely their Brock Boeser in that they drafted him somewhat late in the first and can become a massive steal of his draft. He us considered one of the Calder favourites going into this season. As a closet Panthers fan I am super excited to see their potential center core of Barkov, Trocheck and Borgstrom. 

Edit: For some context, would you trade Gaudette for someone like Jay Beagle straight up?

When did Beagle score 20?  Sutter is defensively as good as Beagle, which is obviously great.  Plus, Sutter can bring offence.  Gaudette is a much better player than Borgstrom too.  So your comparison is not close.

i watched highlites of Borgstrom, and (now I’m more familiar with him) I don’t want anything to do with him.  

It’s clear you’re a Panther’s fan.  (I still don’t get this having more than one team thing.)

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When did Beagle score 20?  Sutter is defensively as good as Beagle, which is obviously great.  Plus, Sutter can bring offence.  Gaudette is a much better player than Borgstrom too.  So your comparison is not close.

i watched highlites of Borgstrom, and (now I’m more familiar with him) I don’t want anything to do with him.  

It’s clear you’re a Panther’s fan.  (I still don’t get this having more than one team thing.)

Oh you watched highlights, guess that must mean Borgstrom isn't better than Sutter. Gee golly. :rolleyes: 

Sutter scored 20 goals twice in his 10 year career, he has missed the mark far more than he's hit it. He has scored more than 35 points ONCE in his career. His assets are defense. I dunno why I try debate player value with people like you. Everyone on this team "sucks" until it comes to trading them then they are all worth 1st round picks and top prospects. Lol.

If you are Florida and you think trading Borgstrom for Sutter is a good idea you literally have less hockey sense than Mike Milbury, hell the fact you think that at all leads me to believe you have less hockey sense than Milbury. There's being a homer and just plain being blind to things outside our little bubble.

Dahlen, Gaudette, Petterson...give this line the same opportunity that Phillip Larsen got...they will not disappoint. Would not need to trade for a "C", rather can draft Hughes or Cozens.

If anything, this team needed to get better on "D"...there were some solid "D" men available in UFA, but the ship sailed.

Unless there is great improvement with our "D" this year...it won't matter who is playing center when it comes to team results.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Oh you watched highlights, guess that must mean Borgstrom isn't better than Sutter. Gee golly. :rolleyes: 

Sutter scored 20 goals twice in his 10 year career, he has missed the mark far more than he's hit it. He has scored more than 35 points ONCE in his career. His assets are defense. I dunno why I try debate player value with people like you. Everyone on this team "sucks" until it comes to trading them then they are all worth 1st round picks and top prospects. Lol.

If you are Florida and you think trading Borgstrom for Sutter is a good idea you literally have less hockey sense than Mike Milbury, hell the fact you think that at all leads me to believe you have less hockey sense than Milbury. There's being a homer and just plain being blind to things outside our little bubble.

That’s me. 

3B0348EE-57E5-4701-A292-B4148DBB4A04.jpeg

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have our centres.  If anything we are trading a guy like Sutter for picks.  We are now in a position of strength.  

I couldn't agree with you more! Why on earth would we give up very good prospects or high end draft picks to fill a hole that we don't already have the pieces in place for. If Pettersson develops the way they project, he will become our #1 C in 2 to 3 years, perhaps less. Horvat will move to #2 C when that happens, Gaudette will be a great replacement for Sutter in a couple of years  at #3 C, and Beagle should be a serviceable #4 C until either Mac Ewen or other option becomes available. 

There are so many posts on here IMO, that do not make any sense going forward. Maybe we could land a very good #2 C and it might help us short term but it is what we would have to give up in order for that to happen that concerns me.

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The Canucks need a first line center. Why trade for a second line center when you have Bo?

Exactly! #2 C is where Bo will probably will slot in down the road once Pettersson develops. If we really want to improve this team it is the defense that needs tweeking.

Unless Gaudette and Pettersson emerge as legit options at centre I don't see how they can trade a centre off the roster and not create an immediate need .  On the other hand until they show that they are definitely not ready I don't think there is a desperate need to pick one up what with the team being in the position it is in.  Tyler Johnson is someone I could see being available but there would be considerable demand for him around the league and the cost would be fairly high.   I just don't see the team being in a position to invest what wou;d undoubtedly be  substantial assets at this point.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Dahlen, Gaudette, Petterson...give this line the same opportunity that Phillip Larsen got...they will not disappoint. Would not need to trade for a "C", rather can draft Hughes or Cozens.

If anything, this team needed to get better on "D"...there were some solid "D" men available in UFA, but the ship sailed.

Unless there is great improvement with our "D" this year...it won't matter who is playing center when it comes to team results.

I’m thinking

DAHLEN - PETTERSSON - ERIKSSON

Eriksson can’t lead a team, but he can sure feed off a 1C. And what better mentor to two Swedes.

The Canucks have Horvat and Sutter way in front of Gaudette at this point. Pettersson is in a league of his own.

35 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Exactly! #2 C is where Bo will probably will slot in down the road once Pettersson develops. If we really want to improve this team it is the defense that needs tweeking.

Yep....defense has huge holes especially long term. I am hoping Woo turns out to be a steal.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

just a bit of a pet peeve for me on these boards

it is hard enough for a rookie or almost rookie (goldobin) to actually make the team

how about in line construction

people avoid putting 2 of them on the same line

because that is really really unlikely to happen

a rookie on offense will play with 2 veterans

at least to start the season until they have their feet solidly under them

Yes I remember when the Sedins started in the NHL. Daniel would toil on the fourth line in order to get stronger and Henrik was third line wing to ease him into the league as a projected second line center.

And the endless back and forth between the AHL and NHL...

Good ol’ times...

Archived