The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN rates Canucks forwards...

kingofsurrey

Horvat, Boeser, EP.  Those are the only 3 forwards that any other team would REALLY want - in todays game of high speed and fast creative transition play.

compare that to the cup winning team:

2 sedins:  check

burrows:  check

Kessler:  check

that is 4 players.  so not much different.  it could be argued that the supporting cast at forward was never that strong on that team - at least once Malholtra went down.  But the current team really only needs one more star or near-star player to match.  But compare the sedins and kesler vs horvat boeser and EP - and it isn't even close - wait a few years and it will be a lot closer.  ESPN is just indicating what they see on the current roster right now, and they are right.  but so what?  we all know we are rebuilding.

The biggest difference IS the defence.  lets see:

Salo:  check

Erhoff:  check (at least he was a great fit with the canucks, so yes it is a check)

Edler:  check

Hamhuis:  check

Tanev:  check

that is a solid 5 defensemen, who made the forward group so much better.  Erhoff was key imho as he filled a a niche and just fit so well at the time.  What about the current team?:

Tanev:  check.  but getting old, will he be able to contribute at an elite level in 3-5 years from now?  doubt it...

Edler:  almost... but again, in 3-5 years he won't be here.

and there is nobody else on defense.  that makes the whole forward group struggle.  they don't get the effing puck as often as that 2010 team, so what do you expect?  I feel the defence problem is what is really causing our forward group to "suck" instead of looking good.   and the future?:

Hughes:  check.  at least we hope so, and it seems that way.

OJ:  he could be the next Edler.  potentially...

and... um....  drum roll please....   cough cough...

this team really needs to focus on defense like it did last draft.  Not JBs fault, the cupboard was bare, and we got a lot of decent players, but no chemistry - not close to what a good team needs...   I would have rather taken Karlsson than the last 2 rounds of FA we got, but why would he want to come here now?  The good news is that we only need another 2 good defensemen (maybe 3?) and one more forward (foa would be nice, to get Hughes) to be there.

JB did it for the offence.  lets see if he can fill out the defense the same way.  

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

The forwards are this team's strength! The y never said it wasn't.

Ya...I agree the forwards are definitely the strength of the Benning rebuild as GM.

Much better than than train wreck on D and in goal.

FWIW...our "strength at fwd" has managed 4 even strength goals in 6 pre season games so far

5 minutes ago, martybyrd said:

Ya...I agree the forwards are definitely the strength of the Benning rebuild as GM.

FWIW...our "strength at fwd" has managed 4 even strength goals in 6 pre season games so far

Played a ton of different guys in a ton of different situations. Most teams are icing their regulars now. We don’t even know who should be here come opening night. Let alone who they’ll be playing with.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Played a ton of different guys in a ton of different situations. Most teams are icing their regulars now. We don’t even know who should be here come opening night. Let alone who they’ll be playing with.

you're right...I apologize.

We seem perfectly poised for a break out year offensively.

I'm sure a couple weeks into the season you'll be throwing my ridiculous comments in my face.

Rank from 1-5 these JB "undersized" fwd acquisitions...

Linden Vey.....2nd round pick

Sven Baer.....2nd round pick

Marcus G.....Hunter shinkaruk

B Leipsic....P holm

T Motte.... T Vanek

Not to fear...Quinn Hughes will become the first 5'9 Norris winning impactful D'man in the history of the league

To early to include

Goldie and

Dahlen in this group..

Think JB's definitely got a "type" of player he likes to acquire.

3 hours ago, martybyrd said:

It is the strength of this team, that doesn't mean that it's a good group of forwards, in fact it is probably right to say it is the worst in the league. But, it is the strength of this team. JB is really putting his mark on this roster! 

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We aren't getting any better offensively next few years. 

We are without the Sedins production and will be icing young inexperienced players.

Gonna be some growing pains. Gonna get worse before it gets better.

This upcoming season will probably be our worst offensively. But I think it goes up from there.

One more year for our young guys develop on the big stage. Quinn should step in next season and finally generate what we've been looking for on the back end, for years. 

Add in another top 5 pick, potentially a high offensive player who could step in right away. 

I just see this season as our rock bottom... I hope anyway.

Just now, Pepe Silvia said:

This upcoming season will probably be our worst offensively. But I think it goes up from there.

One more year for our young guys develop on the big stage. Quinn should step in next season and finally generate what we've been looking for, for years. 

Add in another top 5 pick, potentially a high offensive player who could step in right away. 

I just see this season as our rock bottom... I hope anyway.

Even when Hughes makes the jump he might need a season or two.

We gonna be bad for a bit. Kids gotta grow. 

No biggie. We just need to be patient. Also means more top 10 picks!!

ESPN sucks in their hockey coverage and I don't think the Canucks are dead last in terms of the forward group. We are probably somewhere between the 25-28 range. Our D is just awful, it's probably last and we have two backups in net and Demko showed us that he still needs some time so we will be stuck with this duo unless we make a trade.

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine if we finish with roughly the same points as we did last year, with the kids running the show - considering we lost two hall of fame players off the roster and are still mid-rebuild - we call that a 'win' for the rebuild. 

NEXT year and the year following there needs to be some sort of progression up the standings as kids improve and more come online.

People expecting some vast improvement in what is basically overnight in rebuild terms are frankly, out to lunch.

And right now is hardly the time to be 'improving' the top end of the lineup with UFA's. We're still a good year or two off that.

Great post.... +1

2 months go people were predicting Dahlen as our top line LW, Gaudette as our 2nd C, Palmu on the 3rd line together with Lind and Gadjovic etc etc... 

Reality is a different story. Most prospects takes time... examples have been a posted plenty on the pages, but for some reason people just turn the blind eye.

Our prospects are good, but they are not ready yet, thus they need more seasoning before the can crack the roster, and even then they need to get up to NHL speed as well.

Yes it would be very impressive if we could get the same points total as last year.

Its painful, but we will just have to go through it. This is obviously, what it feels like to build a team through drafting.

12 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Hughes:  check.  at least we hope so, and it seems that way.

OJ:  he could be the next Edler.  potentially...

and... um....  drum roll please....   cough cough...

Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Brassard, Chatfield, McEneny...

And that's to add to still young Stecher, Gudbranson and should either survive the year, Hutton/Pouliot. 

And also doesn't include potential trade returns for Edler/Tanev. 

There's also the possibility we target a UFA the next couple summers. 

Patience. 

11 hours ago, martybyrd said:

Say it with me now...

Re - build.

This is what everyone's been asking for. Rebuild through the draft and you get a bunch of young, inexperienced, inconsistent kids, some of whom will require time in lesser leagues to develop. And some who will struggle to adjust at the NHL level. 

I have to ask those of you in sheer panic mode....What exactly were you people expecting here? 

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Brisebois, Brassard, Chatfield, McEneny...

And that's to add to still young Stecher, Gudbranson and should either survive the year, Hutton/Pouliot. 

And also doesn't include potential trade returns for Edler/Tanev. 

There's also the possibility we target a UFA the next couple summers. 

Patience. 

Woo and try a tryamkin could definitely be those extra pieces.  

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Say it with me now...

Re - build.

This is what everyone's been asking for. Rebuild through the draft and you get a bunch of young, inexperienced, inconsistent kids, some of whom will require time in lesser leagues to develop. And some who will struggle to adjust at the NHL level. 

I have to ask those of you in sheer panic mode....What exactly were you people expecting here? 

You can stick any BS label you want on it...rebuilding teams don't throw ridiculous multi million dollar long term contracts at 30 yr olds.

"Say this with me now"...   The product on the ice has sucked for years now..... and in 5 yrs ,JB has added 2 Elite players to our roster.

At least I hope he's added 2....they have a combined 33 NHL goals between them to this point.

Oh ya...and 1 bank in goal so far this preseason.

Archived