The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN rates Canucks forwards...

kingofsurrey

6 hours ago, martybyrd said:

You can stick any BS label you want on it...rebuilding teams don't throw ridiculous multi million dollar long term contracts at 30 yr olds.

"Say this with me now"...   The product on the ice has sucked for years now..... and in 5 yrs ,JB has added 2 Elite players to our roster.

At least I hope he's added 2....they have a combined 33 NHL goals between them to this point.

Oh ya...and 1 bank in goal so far this preseason.

Re build.... It takes time. Just ask the Leafs, Flames, Oilers, Hawks, Kings. Pens... etc. 

Well, before the last Oilers game Green told the team there are spots available, and now's the time to prove you deserve them. And the result? they couldn't score a single goal. That sounds like the 31st ranked forwards to me. And defence? Hoo boy, it's gonna be a long year.

45 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Re build.... It takes time. Just ask the Leafs, Flames, Oilers, Hawks, Kings. Pens... etc. 

Would have been a lot better if we didn’t take virtanen and McCann. If benning was this draft guru then shouldn’t we ended up with Ehler and pastranak instead?

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Would have been a lot better if we didn’t take virtanen and McCann. If benning was this draft guru then shouldn’t we ended up with Ehler and pastranak instead?

No gm ever hits every draft out of the park. I'd say benning has a pretty good record though. Definitely above average 

6 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

No gm ever hits every draft out of the park. I'd say benning has a pretty good record though. Definitely above average 

Well no GM had the CDC Capt Hindsight club to steer them in the correct direction. After the fact of course, but why quibble with small details ? They have never been wrong !

21 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Well no GM had the CDC Capt Hindsight club to steer them in the correct direction. After the fact of course, but why quibble with small details ? They have never been wrong !

very true

but

and i have lowered my expectations regarding this upcoming season

based on all that has occurred up untl today

but really

can we have just 1 more young forward prospect start the season with the canucks

elias is in

i'd like 1 more now please

i know that is very likely to not happen

our d clearly will suck and is not improved over last season

same with our keeper tandem

so throw us a bone

and let us watch two new young forward prospects develop

if we have to endure watching this weak team this season

watching brock until is his injury made last season interesting

at times he was the only reason to watch

so give us 2 this season...  just cuz it will make things more interesting

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

very true

but

and i have lowered my expectations regarding this upcoming season \

based on all that has occurred up untl today

but really

can we have just 1 more young forward prospect start the season with the canucks

elias is in

i'd like 1 more now please

i know that is very likely to not happen

our d clearly will suck and is not improved over last season

same with our keeper tandem

so throw us a bone

and let us watch two new young forward prospects develop

if we have to endure watching this weak team this season

watching brock until is his injury made last season interesting

at times he was the only reason to watch

so give us 2 this season...  just cuz it will make things more interesting

I think that the veterans will have very short ropes. They might start the season, but if things go really badly ( and they just might ). The 20 game mark and mid season might show an extra rookie or two. If we're out of it at TDL, there will be massive roster movement !

4 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that the veterans will have very short ropes. They might start the season, but if things go really badly ( and they just might ). The 20 game mark and mid season might show an extra rookie or two. If we're out of it at TDL, there will be massive roster movement !

not so sure about that

if utica is really playing well

would management really break up that team?
or let it continue so that prospects can really win something

that utica team has all the makings of a powerhouse

why promote the best players so they can join a sad sack nhl team?

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

not so sure about that

if utica is really playing well

would management really break up that team?
or let it continue so that prospects can really win something

that utica team has all the makings of a powerhouse

why promote the best players so they can join a sad sack nhl team?

Well.......do you want rookies on the big club, or a strong Utica club ? Can't have both ! You've said you want rookies in one post and to leave them in the AHL in your other post.

Just now, SingleThorn said:

Well.......do you want rookies on the big club, or a strong Utica club ? Can't have both ! You've said you want rookies in one post and to leave them in the AHL in your other post.

i said i wanted 1 more rookie to start the season with the club

you talked about adding a number of them at the tdl

like that was almost an assured thing

i simply reposted saying that management will likely consider how utica is doing at that time

and might consider it best to leave the young prospects down there together

so they can experience success together

rather then just promoting a few of the best ones

and damaging a strong farm club when it was doing well

so i'm not really sure what you think i said ??

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Guess we need to build a time machine and have JB climb in, race old JB to the podium and take different guys.  

I am sure that a lot of teams would have preferred Pastrnak, like all of them.  

This is a great game!!  

“It would have been a lot better had we taken Mike Bossy or Doug Wilson in the 1977 draft instead of Jere Gillis at 4th OA.’  

Anyone else have a better one, this might be hard to top... We could/should have had Mike Bossy, bet that final in 82 would have been a lot different ;) 

No $&!# Sherlock...

49 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Guess we need to build a time machine and have JB climb in, race old JB to the podium and take different guys.  

I am sure that a lot of teams would have preferred Pastrnak, like all of them.  

This is a great game!!  

“It would have been a lot better had we taken Mike Bossy or Doug Wilson in the 1977 draft instead of Jere Gillis at 4th OA.’  

Anyone else have a better one, this might be hard to top... We could/should have had Mike Bossy, bet that final in 82 would have been a lot different ;) 

No $&!# Sherlock...

it's not no sh*t it's we raved about how great his drafting ability and his ability to assess talent. so far in virtanen's career and this preseason hasn't shown he's gonna break out.. considering where he was drafted he needs to be more than a bottom 6 player.. Mccann he gave up on after 1 season to bring back gudbranson which imo was overpayment for a pylon that's big can hit but that's about it. he passed on Tkatchuk who at the very least is out scoring our entire team minus maybe horvat and boeser for Juolevi who doens't look like he's gonna make the team out of camp despite how terrible our defense is... of his 6 first round picks.. Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersen, Hughes.. so far Boeser and Pettersen looks for real.. Virtanen looks like he's following the path of Kassian, McCann gone from the organization, Juolevi is still a big question mark. Hughes hopefully can bulk up a little and QB our PP in the future.. that's 3 for 6.. 50% draft record for 1st round picks and mostly high first rounders seems awfully terrible for a draft guru.

On 24/09/2018 at 10:18 PM, Shirotashi said:

I agree based on the pre season but in reality when they start playing hockey we should rate in the top15. But they refuse to play hockey so.. But Vegas in the top 5 is hilarious and Calgary ahead of the Oilers? I have never seen hockey as bad as I have seen in the pre season. Its terrible hockey awful even.

Top 15?  Pass the joint this way I need some of that optimism. 

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

This.  

I've been saying this for years now.. it takes 7 to 10 years for a rebuild.  And that's if things go right. Other wise you have to start half way over.. 

We still have cpl of years of bottom 5 seasons to go.  Then start competing for a playoff spot.. competing for the Cup is many years away and that's IF mgmt can build a good roster to go along with the youth.   

On 25/09/2018 at 4:50 AM, martybyrd said:

Our forwards are ranked 2nd last

Our D would be fortunate to only be 2nd last

Our Goal tending is likely dead last

Yet...5 years in, people in these forums keep heaping praises on Jim Benning.

I don't see it....every line up we've faced this preseason has looked bigger, faster, stronger and more talented.

The cupboard was bare argument gets old...these are basically all his players now.

How many impactful NHL players has he added to our team in 5 years ?

2 out of 4 1st rounders look to impact players...

2 other Top 6 picks ...not so much.

All these great later round selections  ??

I go back and look at the pages and pages on these great trades..

UFA signings ??    Yikes

Since taking over (basically the Jake Virtanen draft summer)...look at all the great young players who have entered the league.

Look at all the top NHL players that have changed sweaters...

Where are ours ?

Am I missing something you all see ?

When they start losing this year its time to clean house.......

Archived