The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN rates Canucks forwards...

kingofsurrey

We have 1 first line player, 2 second line players, an exciting rookie, and a bunch of guys who are either underachieving (Eriksson/Gagner), completely unproven (Virtanen, Goldobin, Leipsic), or are just nothing more than bottom six grinders (everybody else). 

This forward group is awful. We might have enough to make a decent top poweplay unit but don’t have scoring depth or proven top guys. Our defence is even worse. And while I don’t think Markstrom is the worst starter he is well below average. Nilsson is one of the worst backups so together they are probably a bottom 3 tandem. 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Lots of people came home from a bad day at work, missed when they tried to kick the dog and fell on their a$$es.

I was getting very attached to my neighbours new Cat / Kitten.

He would stop by my place most days for a visit....

Just found out if was run over at the far end of the street.

Gutted me......

Life is precious.   Enjoy every day. 

2 hours ago, mpt said:

Sounds about right. I’d hate to see how they rate our defence and goaltending.

I agree based on the pre season but in reality when they start playing hockey we should rate in the top15. But they refuse to play hockey so.. But Vegas in the top 5 is hilarious and Calgary ahead of the Oilers? I have never seen hockey as bad as I have seen in the pre season. Its terrible hockey awful even.

I don't think we're dead last... admittedly we are in the same horrid state as Arizona, Detroit, Ottawa and Montreal but we should be at least on par with most of them...

Coyotes - Keller's basically our Boeser, Horvat has more upside than Stepan (can probably breakout more given how they scored at the same rate); Baertschi's comparable if not slightly better than Panik.  Galchenyuk's still a question mark, Leipsic and Goldobin scored around the same rate as Perlini and Fischer, Pettersson should easily be better than Dvorak, I'd put Crouse and Virtanen in the same boat (hoping Jake has more upside), Grabner and Gagner are both niche depth guys, while Richardson/ Beagle are essentially a wash too.  I feel like Vancouver will be slightly better.

Wings - their influx of youth is pretty solid too (Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Tyler Bertuzzi, the speedy Athanasiou, Nyquist, Rasmussen...) while Vanek's declining but still can get the job done, and their 4th line is overpaid but similar to ours.  Maybe slight edge to Motown?

Senators - Duchene and Stone are proven, Dzingel's solid, Bobby Ryan's serviceable, Zack Smith is adequate... but then what?  Tkachuk's a hotshot but unproven, Tierney's not likely going to amount to much, guys like Boedker, Paajarvi, Pyatt are meh... I'd say at worst it's a tie.    

Canadiens - their rank should definitely take a hit if Domi doesn't pan out as a #1 center.  Their group has solid pieces (Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Byron, Lekhonen, Hudon) but Armia's not a top-line guy... I think similar to the Sens we'd be in the same tier. 

TL;DR: we're bad but misery loves company and the Canucks probably have more of it than ESPN recognizes. 

11 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

We're definitely terrible, but I can't see how Ottawa and Montreal are ranked above us. Boeser and Horvat are better than any forward on either of their entire rosters. Throw in Pettersson and we should be a solid 29th. -_-

Drouin > Boeser and Horvat. Drouin's skill far outclasses Boeser's and Horvat's skills by two country miles. Sure, Boeser has the better shot and Horvat's got the better build and instincts defensively but Drouin outranks both Boeser and Horvat combined in terms of elite hockey awareness and the ability to generate offence.

Maybe he didn't have the best of starts to his career but he sure as hell can bring it offensively. The guy put up back to back 100+ point seasons in junior, one with MacKinnon and one without so there's no denying his offensive skills and ability with the puck is far more dynamic than Boeser and Horvat may ever be.

21 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Drouin > Boeser and Horvat. Drouin's skill far outclasses Boeser's and Horvat's skills by two country miles. Sure, Boeser has the better shot and Horvat's got the better build and instincts defensively but Drouin outranks both Boeser and Horvat combined in terms of elite hockey awareness and the ability to generate offence.

Maybe he didn't have the best of starts to his career but he sure as hell can bring it offensively. The guy put up back to back 100+ point seasons in junior, one with MacKinnon and one without so there's no denying his offensive skills and ability with the puck is far more dynamic than Boeser and Horvat may ever be.

So you'd trade Horvat or Boeser for Drouin? His junior stats and offensive instincts are meaningless if he hasn't come close to matching them at the NHL level yet. He's been in the league for four years, Boeser's been here for one and already put up better numbers than Drouin ever has. And Horvat's a complete player that brings assets to the table that Drouin flat out doesn't have and his stats are right there with Drouin's.

2 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I agree based on the pre season but in reality when they start playing hockey we should rate in the top15. But they refuse to play hockey so.. But Vegas in the top 5 is hilarious and Calgary ahead of the Oilers? I have never seen hockey as bad as I have seen in the pre season. Its terrible hockey awful even.

we should be rated top 15? what are you smoking lol.. 20+ teams have a legitimate top line.. our projected top line of Baertshi Horvat and Boeser.. only Boeser is a legitimate top line player. Baertshi is a top 9 player on a lot of team and Horvat is a top 2nd line center for most contending team.. or 2nd line.. Pettersen who no doubt will do great.. and then what? a bunch of spare parts and rookies that have yet to proven they can even score in the NHL level.. our bottom 6 looks good but bottom 6 are not the one that carries the team.. Montreat as bad as they are.. at least they have Carey Price who'll probably steal them some games.. Vancouver we have no one in net to steal us games.. 

ya ottawa looks bad but Stone is a point a game player.. which is better than anyone we have in our top 6.. so based on Stone>Boeser. Horvat=Duchene Dzingel>Baertshi their 2nd line is a wash but i'd still take Pageau boedker tkatchuk over our 2nd line which only have Pettersen really to look forward to.

Archived