The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marchand Mugs Eller

Cpt.Clutch

12 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

No way in hell that is suspension worthy

I hate Marchand as much as any Canucks fan. But he did nothing wrong.

Eller is in the wrong here. One for his taunting celly. Two for not defending himself against a smaller combatant.

Now if only someone would nail Marchand like this for all the crap he has pulled over the years.

I suppose some WSH fans will be wondering how different this is from Domi's antics. Marchand was smarter about it, he didn't give Eller any time to look disengaged :lol: 

I could see this going either way, maybe a 1 game suspension from dops if they are sick and tired of having to review Marchand videos. 

9 hours ago, khay said:

Marchand saying that the celebration was unnecessary... like dude, you have done that sort of thing countless times. Fake lifting cup in Vancouver for example? 

This is true... but the sad thing about that is...

No one in Vancouver did anything about it. It was embarrassing. The rat, as much as I hate the guy did the right thing. This kid will not be doing that again anytime soon. lol

11 hours ago, kingfreako said:

So in your opinion getting jumped is an appropriate consequence for taunting? If Marchand was so offended by it, why not settle the score like a man and challenge Eller to a real fight instead of jumping him? Oh yeah, we're talking about a rat not a man..

11 hours ago, kingfreako said:

So in your opinion getting jumped is an appropriate consequence for taunting? If Marchand was so offended by it, why not settle the score like a man and challenge Eller to a real fight instead of jumping him? Oh yeah, we're talking about a rat not a man..

If you stop the video at 1:07, you will see Marchand and Eller facing each other. It appears Marchand is telling Eller what is coming. Eller had at least as much time to prepare as Gudbranson did with Hamonic.  You make it sound like Marchand punched Eller when he was not looking. That is not the case. The challenge was made at the bench.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Especially when Marchand has done the exact same thing as others have mentioned. Pretending to lift the cup in front of our bench, ect. If a lesser known rough and tumble guy did something like this the league would be making a call today. Here's hoping they actually follow through after the suspension they gave Wilson and at least give him a game or two.

He could do that in Vancouver because there was no one to stop him.

He could also punch Daniel in the head repeatedly.

Isn't that the reason for our current "culture change"?

Why did we sign Beagle, Schaller and Roussel?

Burke asked yesterday why Calgary did not dress Prout. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suppose some WSH fans will be wondering how different this is from Domi's antics. Marchand was smarter about it, he didn't give Eller any time to look disengaged :lol: 

I could see this going either way, maybe a 1 game suspension from dops if they are sick and tired of having to review Marchand videos. 

Ekblad didn't drop gloves. Eller did.

Was coming here expecting everyone to be blaming Marchand.  Glad that isn't the case.  I guess the glasses aren't so rose-coloured after all.

I'm supporting Marchand on this one, and was hoping his shots would land.  He managed this the only way he could - it's not like Eller is going to engage willingly, but Marchand gave him an opportunity to face him before he started throwing the big shots.

Also, for those comparing Eller's celebration to Marchand's cup lifting celly, stop.  The Bruins were losing when Marchand did that.  Much different than (Eller) being a douche in front of the opposing bench after a 7-0 goal.

I get the pride thing but Marchand should be suspended, guys who cannot control themselves have no place in the best league in the world.

In saying that, the NHL should have a no taunting the bench rule. Other leagues have this, for sure this in a rule in the CFL and maybe others.

23 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Also, for those comparing Eller's celebration to Marchand's cup lifting celly, stop.  The Bruins were losing when Marchand did that.  Much different than (Eller) being a douche in front of the opposing bench after a 7-0 goal.

Nothing different about that at all.  And Marchand did taunt the Nucks and fans while they were winning here, kissing the cup ring on his finger.  He's the biggest hypocrite out there and wouldn't dare take on someone that could actually fight. 

To bad Eller didn't fake raise the cup while going passed their bench instead, a real taunt instead of just rotating your wrist in the air before you high 5 your teammates, the celebration or taunt people want to call it, is being blown way out of proportion imo. Marchand is just a sore loser that's all.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Nothing different about that at all.  And Marchand did taunt the Nucks and fans while they were winning here, kissing the cup ring on his finger.  He's the biggest hypocrite out there and wouldn't dare take on someone that could actually fight. 

I'll agree the taunting Marchand did was wrong and he's the last one to give someone else crap for maybe taunting which I don't think Eller was doing or on purpose to the other team, like Marchand did on purpose to the fans in Vancouver. 

Not sure if you saw my gifs on the other page but Marchand was kissing his fake ring while losing the score is on the gif ::D and when he went to raise the cup later it was then 4-1 Canucks.

23 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I get the pride thing but Marchand should be suspended, guys who cannot control themselves have no place in the best league in the world.

In saying that, the NHL should have a no taunting the bench rule. Other leagues have this, for sure this in a rule in the CFL and maybe others.

Marchand has done a lot of stupid things, but this is the least suspension worthy IMO if at all. He got his instigator and misconduct I believe, which is just.

Marchand is 5'9 180 lbs and Eller is 6'2 200+ lbs. Considering that Marchard is also one of the top players on Boston and he's challenging him (3rd liner?) to a fight, you should take that trade off. Eller was hesitant and put himself at a disadvantage to start, but there was no sucker punch as they were grappling before Marchand connected and made Eller look like a fool deservingly. I hate Marchand as much as anyone, but he wasn't wrong in this case.

I feel a bit out of touch with the modern day fan sometimes, when I see the reactions to events like these. I don't see too much of a problem with Marchand's actions, though I do find it somewhat hypocritical, as Marchand himself is no stranger to showboating and taunting. Wilson's suspension was excessive, and I didn't think his hit on Aston-Reese in the playoffs was particularly dirty. The team coming to a decision to ban Fortnite on the road is fine, and what happens in the locker room should probably stay there. I guess the media needs a story.

You don't celly like that in a 7-0 game even in beer league. Eller made his bed and he came to lie in it. I feel if it weren't Marchand things would be seen a little differently, though that does change the optics a bit.

I am pretty surprised by people saying that Eller got what he deserved. The result of him celebrating in front of the other teams bench is to get beaten up? He is allowed to celebrate. Whether the timing was right (up 7-0) is debatable but he’s not doing anything outside of the rules. I personally wouldn’t do it and it would piss me off if someone did it to me but I wouldn’t jump him the next shift. Eller isn’t, in my opinion, in the wrong. 

Marchand, on the other hand, is. He jumps a guy to teach him a lesson and bloodies him in the process? 

And most of you are good with that? 

Sticks and stones man, sticks and stones. What a contradictive sore loser Marchand is. No excuse for this in hockey, sport, or life. It’s poor sportsmanship and we’d be way better off without it. 

8 minutes ago, SunnyHours said:

I am pretty surprised by people saying that Eller got what he deserved. The result of him celebrating in front of the other teams bench is to get beaten up? He is allowed to celebrate. Whether the timing was right (up 7-0) is debatable but he’s not doing anything outside of the rules. I personally wouldn’t do it and it would piss me off if someone did it to me but I wouldn’t jump him the next shift. Eller isn’t, in my opinion, in the wrong. 

Marchand, on the other hand, is. He jumps a guy to teach him a lesson and bloodies him in the process? 

And most of you are good with that? 

Sticks and stones man, sticks and stones. What a contradictive sore loser Marchand is. No excuse for this in hockey, sport, or life. It’s poor sportsmanship and we’d be way better off without it. 

He jumped the guy (didn't sucker punch and got the deserving instigator and misconduct to go with it) to get him to back up his actions because he wasn't a willing combatant. Is he too good to square off with a guy much smaller than him (and more valuable to their team) while up 7-0?

Eller could've just turtled if he didn't want to go, he dropped them and was ready to fight. He got fed fists and bloodied well after they were engaged. Eller being beat up is just an embarrassment on his part and nothing to do with Marchand's reaction to the celebration. Don't make it seem like he punched him from behind and kept feeding him punches well after he got knocked down.

I'm sure the reaction would be in favour had this happened to us and we responded in the same way.

Archived