The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Place the blame where it belongs: Travis Green

MikeBossy

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

And there are some other factors as well. 

First being that this isnt necessarily over

Second being that you can''t just send a Gudbranson to wreck a player like Matheson - anyone who knows hockey - or Matheson - realizes that is not a real option.  Gudbranson rag-dolling him would be the equivalent of a Matt Martin rag-dolling Ben Hutton for a bad hit.

And people clamouring for an old school response - here's the irony.  In the old school nothing would have happened to Matheson.  One coach sends out his heavy, the other coach sends out his heavy, the enforcers fight, and 'justice' was done.  So many people don't seem to realize that heavyweights simply never chased your average NHLer around - rats, cheap shot artists - never had to face and answer to an enforcer.  There's no honor in an enforcer pummeling an inferior opponent.

Could one of the Canucks 'everyday' guys have answered this immediately?  Probably - if anything, that's probably what should have happened - and the very least they probably should have hounded, incited and made Matheson's night miserable for the rest of that game.

However, all of us getting all internet tough guy is a lot easier than the right guy finding the right response in the moment.  That doesn't always happen.  But it's also not over - so the hysteria about 'our young guys being open season' is just that - and premature.    There are plenty of teams with talented young guys and far less than a Gudbranson, Schaller, Beagle, Archibald whomever to 'protect' them......On a certain level Green is absolutely correct - you can't just chase a guy like Matheson around the ice for the rest of the game. 

Was the response ideal?   Absolutely not.  But is this 'over'?   I doubt it.

So many people don't seem to realize that heavyweights simply never chased your average NHLer around - rats, cheap shot artists - never had to face and answer to an enforcer.  There's no honor in an enforcer pummeling an inferior opponent gino says hellohqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCPYBEIoBSFryq4

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

And there are some other factors as well. 

First being that this isnt necessarily over

Second being that you can''t just send a Gudbranson to wreck a player like Matheson - anyone who knows hockey - or Matheson - realizes that is not a real option.  Gudbranson rag-dolling him would be the equivalent of a Matt Martin rag-dolling Ben Hutton for a bad hit.

And people clamouring for an old school response - here's the irony.  In the old school nothing would have happened to Matheson.  One coach sends out his heavy, the other coach sends out his heavy, the enforcers fight, and 'justice' was done.  So many people don't seem to realize that heavyweights simply never chased your average NHLer around - rats, cheap shot artists - never had to face and answer to an enforcer.  There's no honor in an enforcer pummeling an inferior opponent.

Could one of the Canucks 'everyday' guys have answered this immediately?  Probably - if anything, that's probably what should have happened - and the very least they probably should have hounded, incited and made Matheson's night miserable for the rest of that game.

However, all of us getting all internet tough guy is a lot easier than the right guy finding the right response in the moment.  That doesn't always happen.  But it's also not over - so the hysteria about 'our young guys being open season' is just that - and premature.    There are plenty of teams with talented young guys and far less than a Gudbranson, Schaller, Beagle, Archibald whomever to 'protect' them......On a certain level Green is absolutely correct - you can't just chase a guy like Matheson around the ice for the rest of the game. 

Was the response ideal?   Absolutely not.  But is this 'over'?   I doubt it.

So many people don't seem to realize that heavyweights simply never chased your average NHLer around - rats, cheap shot artists - never had to face and answer to an enforcer.  There's no honor in an enforcer pummeling an inferior opponent

It’s not a suspension worthy play. I’ll be surprised if he even gets anything. 

I just want the media to ask all the players if they saw the hit (I’m guessing most of them didn’t) and then ask them if they’ve seen the replay now and what they think of it.

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It’s not a suspension worthy play. I’ll be surprised if he even gets anything. 

I just want the media to ask all the players if they saw the hit (I’m guessing most of them didn’t) and then ask them if they’ve seen the replay now and what they think of it.

It should be suspension worthy. If league mgmt does not respond then the NHL is saying teams should deal with it by themselves and that is not a good thing for the NHL. Get dirty plays like this out of the league and allow the exciting play to prosper.

Green is the only reason we have been relatively competiton. I believe getting the win was the right call but I also agree someone should of stepped up.

Call it conflicting beliefs lol. BUT . Travis Green is not the problem. No one even paid the body hard on Matheson. That should of at least been achieved. 

I agree we have to be harder to play against but last night the guys came together and won for Petey. I'm glad the Panthers left feeling down they lost. 

If the league doesn't penalize him properly this team will down the road. There is no way the players to live this down with the media on their cases.

My biggest concern is where Gudbranson's loyalty lies. He would of stepped up if he was wearing a FLA jersey and that happened to one of his guys. He needs to buy into being a Canuck.

His last contract signed was supposed to make him feel like a part of this team. It's clear he still has the heart of a panther imo. Dirty looks mean nothing.

I understand as a D he can't skate deep into the D zone but he has to better. A few big hits thrown after on the next shift sure it helps but he let up. You can't let up until you're even.

I stood here saying Guddy should be the next captain of this team a few weeks ago. He has really let me down.

It's not all his fault tho. Green isn't the problem though it's the identity of the team. It needs to respond in the future better.

honestly all this turmoil about lack of pushback and retribution is a (mostly) fan made phenomena.  I think from our perspective it's tough to see because EP is such a fan favorite and it was tough to see the kid hurt like that. 

EVERYONE outside of the teams thought the Flames game was going to be a nasty revenge filled affair, but it wasn't.  Not even close.

Players know they are going to take licks.  You cant get too (and I stress "too") upset about the physical play of the game.  

I did see Roussel going after Panthers (within the confines of the game) afterwards.  It was also the third period and probably not a lot of juice in the tank to go chasing a huge hit.  BUT I do think the team will rally around EP, especially when the Nucks play the Panthers again.   This wont be forgotten Im sure.

The NHL may have to start looking at if a young player isn't physical strong enough yet to hold his ground against Men he won't be allowed to play to prevent a serious injury like this again, because the NHL isn't going to take hitting out of the league and roughing a player up happens a lot, so if this kind of thing now is going to happen more and more to young players because they're just not physically strong enough yet, then the NHL might have to implement something to prevent it from happening again.

It is the GM's vision of a team, small, soft with no push back. Roussel has had too many concussions to be a guy like Dorsett, Guddy has bad wrists and in his four fights in the last 3 years and 87 games only did really good in the last one.

And you can't really have a dman skate down to "correct" another dman in their zone, instigator penalty, sometimes that can worth it though.

It is all the league's fault, the team's players getting rag dolled, thrown around and bullied. At least that is what Green and Benning want to sell, that they have no responsibility for the players on the team.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

honestly all this turmoil about lack of pushback and retribution is a (mostly) fan made phenomena.  I think from our perspective it's tough to see because EP is such a fan favorite and it was tough to see the kid hurt like that. 

EVERYONE outside of the teams thought the Flames game was going to be a nasty revenge filled affair, but it wasn't.  Not even close.

Players know they are going to take licks.  You cant get too (and I stress "too") upset about the physical play of the game.  

I did see Roussel going after Panthers (within the confines of the game) afterwards.  It was also the third period and probably not a lot of juice in the tank to go chasing a huge hit.  BUT I do think the team will rally around EP, especially when the Nucks play the Panthers again.   This wont be forgotten Im sure.

Great take on things.

Everyone would love some sort of "response" but it sounds like most of the team missed Matheson slamming EP to the ice. It was behind the play and as a player hard to judge how dirty it was until watching highlights post game. I just hope the league puts an exclamation mark on this with a 5 game suspension...hit the player's pocket book, that will be the biggest deterrent. If they don't, league is telling the players that they need to deal with it and no one wants another Moore situation.

EVERYONE outside of the teams thought the Flames game was going to be a nasty revenge filled affair, but it wasn't.  Not even close

Of course nothing of substance was going to happen, Guddy was in an NHL created bubble. If anything happened to him there could be suspension and fines to prevent it from happening again, to take it out of the game. If anything happened the next game like this was it would be "premeditated" and have much bigger consequences. I am sure in game 4 or 5, after the popularity of the hype has diminished there will something that gets infated and causes Guddy to have deal with it without the stigma of immediacy.

The problem  was it wasn't a hockey play.  It was a premeditated criminal assault and the team (along with a crooked ref) did literally nothing.  Benning needs to be putting as much pressure on the league as possible to ensure this piece of garbage never refs another game again, or at least isn't assigned to work Canuck games for his own protection.  Matheson had better not book a ticket out of Vancouver when the Panthers come here because he's in for a very long stay in the ICU.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The problem  was it wasn't a hockey play.  It was a premeditated criminal assault and the team (along with a crooked ref) did literally nothing.  Benning needs to be putting as much pressure on the league as possible to ensure this piece of garbage never refs another game again, or at least isn't assigned to work Canuck games for his own protection.  Matheson had better not book a ticket out of Vancouver when the Panthers come here because he's in for a very long stay in the ICU.

You really have to stop using criminal assault. It's embarassing heffy. :lol:

A Canuck player gets targeted and the teammates don't step up, not surprising, this is a very old problem. This team has had this BS country club attitude since 2011. I thought most of it would be gone with Daniel and Henrik retiring (as skilled as they were, they got zero respect from the rest of the league because they refused to fight back)

None of this crap would be happening if the NHL still had enforcers in the league. Pretty soon NHL will stand for 'no hitting league'

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

EDIT: I honestly think it falls somewhere just outside the threshold of tolerable physical play, exactly where I do not know.  I hate the fact that it happened to EP, but it is a rough sport- lets not forget that.  If EP had bounced right back I'm not sure there would be as much scrutiny but because EP did get hurt on such a borderline play that perhaps it is time to review it

3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Getting a little sick of people calling out Guddy, Rousel etc - maybe this will put the blame solely where it belongs:

National post article here: https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/daily-poll-should-the-canucks-have-exacted-revenge-for-hit-on-elias-pettersson/wcm/76ad0f9e-938f-4f32-9113-f7dbe70638c7

“You’ve got to show composure when you’re in a game. It’s a 3-2 hockey game. There’s 12 minutes left. You’re talking about a guy that has one fight in his career. I don’t think he’s known as a dirty player. You’re in a hockey game, you don’t just go start chasing guys around the rink,” he said.

“That’s just not the way it is. I’m just not going to talk about retribution.

That's Green speaking - we cant fault players for following their coaches directions (like they are supposed to) 

Wanna call anyone gutless - then call the 4 other players on the ice when EP got hurt gutless and paycheck players. They all skated away even after what they saw happen. 

Put the blame where it belongs... 

Micheal Matheson

end thread

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I think we are doing fine, HF boards started a "Fire Green" thread 5 minutes after that quote came out. Those guys are crazy.

Fans also said Bo isn't Captain material for pushing the coaches agenda. I find that also a tad bit of an  emotionally charged response.

I still think we can have a better Captain whether that be Pettersson, Hughes, or someone else but that was a tad extreme.

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

heard by Imac Pettersson is flying to Pittsburg with the team, if he has a concussion, I doubt that he would fly right away. 

Although doctors use "rules" to diagnose the existence and severity of concussions those are just rules of thumb. it is very hard to know how serious a blow to the head is and recent evidence suggests that a lot of blows to the head that are not diagnosed as concussions in fact do some damage.  See, for example, https://traumaticbraininjury.net/2012/10/12/why-concussions-are-so-hard-to-diagnose/

So it is always good to be cautious. Pettersson probably should have stayed Florida for a couple of days before flying. Waiting a couple of days before flying often makes a big difference. See, for example, https://www.sportssafect.com/blog/flying-after-a-concussion.

Bottom line: I think the Canuck management is screwing up. I know there are people on CDC who always defend the current management and always want the put the most positive spin on everything that happens.

But there in no way to spin this as a positive.

Archived