The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Nov. 13, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I am enjoying the ride. I certainly don't need nights to go my way. I'm simply holding Petey to s Gretzky standard if he's going to be in that convo. Sorry if you don't like it.

It's a ridiculous standard to hold the kid to.  No point in comparison to anyone; I'm just enjoying EP for what he is, which is a special hockey player.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's a ridiculous standard to hold the kid to.  No point in comparison to anyone; I'm just enjoying EP for what he is, which is a special hockey player.

i agree with you Heffy.  Its ridiculous to hold the kid to the same standard as what most people think is the greatest player of all time.  

Pettersson is responsible for 80% of our wins, he goes dry for a bit, and this guy comes out saying " its not good enough - i want him to be like Gretzy."  Dont know if hes serious or not.

Crosby went multiple games without a point multiple times in his rookie year.  Mario Lemieux (arguably better than Gretzky) missed the playoffs like 5 straight years to start off his career....but yeah...not good enough...those guys didnt make an impact...

Just now, King Heffy said:

It's not ridiculous at all. It's the difference between all the good ones and The Great One. If he's going to be compared to The Great One, he needs to be that type of difference maker. It's early, cool, but as long as people compare him to Gretzky, I'm holding him to a ridiculous standard. That's what made Gretzky great.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

i agree with you Heffy.  Its ridiculous to hold the kid to the same standard as what most people think is the greatest player of all time.  

Pettersson is responsible for 80% of our wins, he goes dry for a bit, and this guy comes out saying " its not good enough - i want him to be like Gretzy."  Dont know if hes serious or not.

Crosby went multiple games without a point multiple times in his rookie year.  Mario Lemieux (arguably better than Gretzky) missed the playoffs like 5 straight years to start off his career....but yeah...not good enough...those guys didnt make an impact...

Mario's possibly the best example I can think of who made plugs into stars.  He did it better than EP and was a hell of a lot stronger, but he didn't have the selfless attitude and 200 foot game.  I don't think EP's on Mario's level and I'm fine with that.

(I'm one of the people who will argue until he's blue in the face that Mario was better than Gretzky, but that's a separate argument.)

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Low standards weak sauce.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Mario's possibly the best example I can think of who made plugs into stars.  He did it better than EP and was a hell of a lot stronger, but he didn't have the selfless attitude and 200 foot game.  I don't think EP's on Mario's level and I'm fine with that.

(I'm one of the people who will argue until he's blue in the face that Mario was better than Gretzky, but that's a separate argument.)

Mario was not better than Gretzky and you couldn't be more wrong. Like you've been all night. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... so, you concede to common sense by calling me a troll. Nice! 

didnt mean to hurt your feelings.  Didnt call you a troll, just your posts are a troll job.  But hey, if this is how you entertain yourself...carry on.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Mario was not better than Gretzky and you couldn't be more wrong. Like you've been all night. 

Coming back from radiation treatments for cancer and winning the scoring title handily is the greatest personal sporting accomplishment I've witnessed in my life.  You can also easily make an argument for Orr with the way he changed the way the game is played.  It's subjective and I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to argue Gretzky was the greatest of all time.  Points can be made on either side.

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Someone not named Horvat has to learn how to win a face off ! 

I find it odd Pouliot played more minutes than Tanev. 

Their names are Beagle and Sutter. It's amazing what this team has done without those 2 shutdown centers. We're basically forcing Horvat into a shutdown role, when he is a top 6 guy being forced into the Manny Malhotra role of taking every draw.

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Lemieux would have beat Gretzky's records had Hodgkin's not slowed him down. Gretzky needed players to keep him safe, Lemieux just blew right through them. Mario is the greatest. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Coming back from radiation treatments for cancer and winning the scoring title handily is the greatest personal sporting accomplishment I've witnessed in my life.  You can also easily make an argument for Orr with the way he changed the way the game is played.  It's subjective and I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to argue Gretzky was the greatest of all time.  Points can be made on either side.

If we're talking on ice accomplishments, fine, we need to keep it to that. You can't move the goalposts with Mario's cancer ... that's something completely different on a personal level. I agree with you from that perspective. 

You've got to keep the debate on fair ground. Just because Gretzky didn't have Cancer doesn't automatically make Mario greater. 

Get what you're saying though.

Archived