The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Auston Matthews Could get 11-13 Mill/year contract?

7 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Panarin is UFA

Marner is RFA

The difference is very important.

Not anymore.

The 2nd contract RFA discount has pretty much disappeared.  Players get paid out of the gate, especially if you are trying to buy their UFA years at the end

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

No one should be getting more than McDavid. 

I don't see Mathews getting more than 12.5

Marner is a winger. 8.5 to 9 mill is max for him. 

That's not how this works. Crosby has been getting paid 8.7 (before the cap hikes) and there were still numerous players (including teammate Malkin) that were getting paid more than him. Just because you are the best player (I argue McDavid is NOT anyway) doesn't mean all player salaries fall under yours. 

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not anymore.

The 2nd contract RFA discount has pretty much disappeared.  Players get paid out of the gate, especially if you are trying to buy their UFA years at the end

Except when you're an UFA you can leave the team and sign with whomever you want, and that team pays no penalty other than salary cap space for doing so.

Whereas an RFA signing anywhere they want, that team will pay a penalty in picks.

They are completely different and always will be, regardless of what discount disappears.

2 hours ago, Whorvat said:

Except when you're an UFA you can leave the team and sign with whomever you want, and that team pays no penalty other than salary cap space for doing so.

Whereas an RFA signing anywhere they want, that team will pay a penalty in picks.

They are completely different and always will be, regardless of what discount disappears.

Well they are two differen types of free agent, but your suggestion was that we should expect a different salary range than a UFA.  

Look ok at RFA signings and they are getting full market value, certainly the top RFAs

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That salary means nothing to the leafs, but that cap hit...hard to convince a team to take that much rental 

The cap hit is why the leafs would move him obviously. 

Lots of teams would take him. He's still a good player.  Cap bottom teams would take him anyday. 

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

That's not how this works. Crosby has been getting paid 8.7 (before the cap hikes) and there were still numerous players (including teammate Malkin) that were getting paid more than him. Just because you are the best player (I argue McDavid is NOT anyway) doesn't mean all player salaries fall under yours. 

Crosby has been getting paid 12 mill 3 years then 10.9 for 2 mill .... 10 this year. hell get average 9.2 next 3 years. 

He was signed under old CBA.

Malkin gets what his cap hit is 9.5 for 8 years. No front loading.  Crosbys last 3 years are 3 mill to artificially bring down his cap hit. 

Luongo type contract.

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Crosby has been getting paid 12 mill 3 years then 10.9 for 2 mill .... 10 this year. hell get average 9.2 next 3 years. 

He was signed under old CBA.

Malkin gets what his cap hit is 9.5 for 8 years. No front loading.  Crosbys last 3 years are 3 mill to artificially bring down his cap hit. 

Luongo type contract.

Doesn't matter. AAV is still the same regardless of break down. Total amount is total amount. 

33 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Doesn't matter. AAV is still the same regardless of break down. Total amount is total amount. 

No it's not. Crosby has NOT been getting paid 8.7 mill per year like you claimed. 

He will likely retire before his contract ends in 7 years. So his AAV will not be 8.7. 

I do recognize best player is not always highest paid player.  Parise has been making 12 mill for cpl years already Weber made 14 for few years. 

But Mcdavid and Mathews being close in age and RFA not UFA like others. Plus Mathews not being able to stay healthy I feel he shouldn't surpass Mcdavid. I'm sure Leafs will bring it up in negotiations. 

No it's not. Crosby has NOT been getting paid 8.7 mill per year like you claimed. 

He will likely retire before his contract ends in 7 years. So his AAV will not be 8.7. 

I do recognize best player is not always highest paid player.  Parise has been making 12 mill for cpl years already Weber made 14 for few years. 

But Mcdavid and Mathews being close in age and RFA not UFA like others. Plus Mathews not being able to stay healthy I feel he shouldn't surpass Mcdavid. I'm sure Leafs will bring it up in negotiations. 

You clearly don't understand the difference between total contract sum, yearly salary and AAV. No point further discussing this. 

17 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You clearly don't understand the difference between total contract sum, yearly salary and AAV. No point further discussing this. 

My 7 year old nephew can divide 10 mill by 8 years and come up with avv.

You clearly don't uunderstand front loaded contracts. Why they exist. And cap circumvention. The Luongo rule. 

Also a huge reason the lockout lasted so long. Daly saying it's the hill NHL will die on. And the reason 8 year own player 7 year other team player maximum SPC length in new CBA. 

If you think Parise or Weber will have earned AAV as same as their cap hits when they retire I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska. 

Parise makes 2 mill 1 mill 1 mill in his last 3 years. His cap hit will be 7.5. If you think those 3 years weren't added to artificcialy lower the cap hit i can't help you....

My 7 year old nephew can divide 10 mill by 8 years and come up with avv.

You clearly don't uunderstand front loaded contracts. Why they exist. And cap circumvention. The Luongo rule. 

Also a huge reason the lockout lasted so long. Daly saying it's the hill NHL will die on. And the reason 8 year own player 7 year other team player maximum SPC length in new CBA. 

If you think Parise or Weber will have earned AAV as same as their cap hits when they retire I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska. 

Parise makes 2 mill 1 mill 1 mill in his last 3 years. His cap hit will be 7.5. If you think those 3 years weren't added to artificcialy lower the cap hit i can't help you....

I'm aware of front loading contracts. Yes those deals were made before the new contract limits were in place. They were also made before the major salary inflation. Either way you look at it Crosby made less then some other players. Be it SALARY in the first few years or AAV. 

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is it just me or are NHL salaries getting out of hand. Salaries for top players seem to be rising disproportionately to the cap increases. 

Agreed. Stars taking more and more of the pie and leaving the rest with less ain't gonna sit well forever.

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed. Stars taking more and more of the pie and leaving the rest with less ain't gonna sit well forever.

It honestly all started with Kane/Toews. Since then we've seen Kopitar, Price, Subban, McDavid, etc... But pre Loungo rule stars were getting paid like this, it was just front loaded as all hell.

Archived